Dogomania

Attack dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Should people have attack dogs? My wife bought one for us and our family. I dont know if I should keep him or what.What do you think?

:evilbat:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jeff']Should people have attack dogs? My wife bought one for us and our family. I dont know if I should keep him or what.What do you think?

:evilbat:[/quote]

Hi Jeff.

In answer to your question about attack dogs. Does this mean that the dog your wife bought as attacked or is it from a breeder who breeds them for attacking ?

What breed is the dog ?

What breed is this dog. Has it been trained to attack or is it an aggressive dog. Did you both discuss this before buying the dog???
I have never seen the need for a dog that has been trained to attack. I have a Rottweiler and she is gentle and loving and is well trained. I would be fairly sure that no one would enter my property upon getting a look at my dog. Most dogs will protect their home and their people as long as they are loved, fed properly, obedience trained and allowed to live with their family. Not tied up or confined outside all the time. You get out of a dog what you put into it. Dogs need care, attention and love. I am a bit worried about this one as you don't seem to know much about dogs and to have an attack dog without you knowing how to treat it is a potential problem. Where did you get this dog??

[quote name='anne3149']Most dogs will protect their home and their people as long as they are loved, fed properly, obedience trained and allowed to live with their family.[/quote]

So true. My dog, who I always thought was the biggest wuss on the planet, showed his surprisingly good protective instinct the other night. My uncle came over to say hi and when I let him in he pretended to lunge at me (to see what BK would do- don't get me wrong, he loves that dog so much it's not funny!). BK went nuts because he thought he was trying to attack me, of course once he started my uncle stopped and calmed BK down. I was rather relieved to see that if I was attacked in any way, he wouldn't run off but would protect me! (which I kind of knew in the first place but had yet to witness and hope never to have to experience.) I think he would do a lot of damage to someone if he got really nasty, which I hope never to find out either. BK is just your average mutt as well, nothing fancy, just a good all rounder.

So... you really don't need an "attack" dog to guard you and your family, any dog that is treated properly and who you love will return that love in many different ways, including protecting you from any nasties.

Guest Anonymous

The dog has been trained to attack by a professional. He is part Fila Brasileiro and part Karelian Bear Dog . I have delt with large breeds befor,but they have never been trained to attack.

Guest Anonymous

I wish my wife would of never brought the dog home.
He is too big! I showed her all the info I could find about these 2 breeds.
She still wants to keep the dog.How can I change her mind?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cairnmom']If you just want home protection, you are probably better off with a home security system....it is much more reliable and doesn't have to be taken care of. :D Just a thought....[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. The one thing I learned with having dogs is simple....its not just the dog that has to be trained...it's the owners....and Jeff, you admitted not having experience with attack dogs...are you capable of pulling your dog off someone? Is he comfortable enough with you and your wife to listen when you try to tell him to retreat from harming someone? Are you [b]absolutely positive [/b]that your children are safe? Not from the dog KNOWING its them it is injuring, but from the dog NOT KNOWING its your child...and acting on training and instinct? All questions to ask yourself.
One more thing, if the person who sold you guys the dog didn't give you training as well as the dog...this is not a reputable breeder (in my opinion) and I wouldnt trust any animal they tried to sell me.

EBBY

Guest Anonymous

The dog seems to understand that our child is part of our family.
He lets my son pet him, then he walks away from him.
I think I could pull the dog off if it needs to be done.

The dog listens to me and my wife really well.

Guest Anonymous

All I can say (speaking as a woman) is [b]GOOD LUCK[/b]!!!

Best suggestion I can give you (as far as the wife is conerned) is to go and buy her a fully trained dog (perhaps one or two years old) - a family dog - NOT trained to attack....perhaps a retriever or border collie or something MANAGEABLE... and LOVE it...CARE for it and watch it grow with your family....I can guarantee you will be far more satisfied....and if you can get her a dog she can love as much as and more than the one she brought home, it may not bother her so bad to lose the one you have already....but then again, what do I know???? :rofl:

EBBY :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Well, again Jeff good luck with this. I agree with most everyone who has commented in saying you should get rid of the dog...how you are going to do that without ending up in the doghouse yourself is up to you... :rofl:

In all seriousness, I think if it was really an unintentional mating the person who sold you the dog should have more common sense than to sell the pups let alone train them to attack....

Ultimately it is yours and your wife's decision how you handle your situation from here, but I would advise you both in the future to research a breed thoroughly before deciding on a purchase....and find a dog that you feel comfortable with having in your home....

If you DO decide to keep this dog, be aware that any suits brought against you and your wife for a dog that attacks a human could ruin your family's life much much more than getting rid of it now would.... It is up to you whether this is a dog worth risking that sort of a chance over. I would check out the laws in your area...in some places if your dog attacks - for ANY reason - even an intruder, you would be looking at putting the animal down and reprecussions for your family as well.... it would be a good idea to check into it if / before you decide to keep the dog.

Guest Anonymous

Jeff, your post concerns me for many reasons. First being that you only give a little bit of info to begin with and everyone must draw out info post by post. That being said. I would like to ask why a family (wife, husband, toddler) would need specifically an attack dog? How old is this dog? Is it neutered? How did your wife choose this particular irresponsible breeder? What training did this so called "breeder" give you and your wife with the said dog? No reputable breeder would allow such an irresponsible breeding to take place let alone train these particular breeds as attack dogs. Dogs of all breeds can have a tough road because of idiots who do this. I have grave reservations about your post and question, but I do have one other question for you. Do you have a sister named, Mary, who supposedly has a PB mix?

It's up to you whether or not not to keep the dog... but you need to be aware of the possible consequences of owning an attack trained dog.
Are you willing to lose everything you have if the dog seriously injures someone? Since the dog is "trained to attack", that means that you will be held responsible for any damages that it incurs onto a person (whether they're a threat or not). This means that if your dog kills someone, you could possibly be charged with murder.
You may also have a hard time finding an insurance company that will insure you, since many are now refusing insurance to owners of certain breeds, as well as dogs that have been trained to attack or "protect".
You said that the dog is not fully grown yet. How old is it? You need to be aware that most large breeds aren't fully mature until 3-4 yrs old, so be prepared for some dominance issues and behavior changes around that time. Is your child (for that matter are you or your wife) going to be able to assert dominance over a 150 lb dog? If not, that could be a problem for you.
What are you going to do about your child's friends coming to your house? Company? Friends? Relatives? The breeds this dog is descended from are not known for their acceptance of strangers. How much protection is the dog going to offer if every ttime someone comes to your house it has to be put away in a crate or room? That's defeating the purpose a little, isn't it?
You said the dog has been trained by a professional... have you also been trained in how to handle a dog with this type of training? Are you willing to continue the training? People who do this type of training with their dogs usually spend several hours a week training in obedience and in the actual attack/protection training. Without this, the dogs would easily become a liability and danger to people. Furthermore, if the dog is still growing, then it's apparently not very old, and it takes years to train a protection dog to be completely reliable. If this person is telling you otherwise, they're either lieing, or have taken shortcuts in the dog's training which could prove to be harmful at some point.
You said that you think you can pull the dog off of someone if it attacks them... Could you live with the dog afterwards? Knowing that it harmed or even killed someone? Do you realize how hard it is to get a dog off of something it doesn't want to let go of? Keep in mind that this dog could weigh as much as (maybe more than) you? You might have to kill the dog to get it off the person. If you are unable to remove the dog, the police will. They don't think twice about shooting and killing a dog to get it off of a person.
Is the dog trained to attack on command only, or on it's own discretion as well? Dogs can be wrong, they don't interpret things the way people do, so it's not wise to trust their judgement in every situation.
I'm not saying these things to be "mean" or to insult you or your family. I'm just don't think it's fair to either you or the dog to go into this situation blindly.

One other thing to consider...

In some states, it is illegal to "get rid of" a dangerous, or attack trained dog by changing ownership. In other words, you can't sell it and can't give it away. The ONLY acceptable legal thing in these cases is euthanasia. I have a dog labeled as dangerous and the only way we would ever be able to "get rid of" her is to euthanize her if we were not able to manage her (fortunately, medication and verrrrrrrrrry close monitoring keep her under control... we DON'T WANT an aggressive dog). If we were to rehome her with the best of intentions, even to someone qualified to handle her and who knew her background and said that they were willing to take that responsibility, and she were to attack someone while in the new owners' care, we could still be held responsible. Something to think about.

Jeff, I worry for you and I especially worry for the dog. This dog has no say on where his home will be and you don't sound too keen on him at all. I don't think you can love a dog you don't even like and good, well behaved dogs are loved dogs. As was previously mentioned a decent trainer/breeder would have given you training sessions with the dog prior to purchase. This situation doesn' t auger will for this dog at all. People like the seller of this dog should not be allowed to operate this way. He obviously has no respect for the dogs at all or he would not have gone the way he has with you. My stance on the whole thing is that I don't believe any dog should be trained to attack. Dogs can be family pets who are loved and cared for and still do personal protection if they have the drive and the correct training but these are not attack dogs. Most dogs will protect anyway. I truly wish there was some law against people who breed dogs for attack and a hefty fine for doing so. BTW I have a Rottweiler and a GSD. Neither of them have been trained to attack-both will protect me whilst being happy, friendly, sociable dogs.

Guest Anonymous

Basic Questions:

How old is this dog?

What type of training has it had?

What was the need for this dog?

What type of socialization does it get?

Where does it stay(inside or out)?

Does it receive training now?

Could your wife hold back or call the dog off someone? Her own child if need be? (yes it can and does happen)(Who posted the story on the toddler who got attacked by the family dog??? REPOST HERE!!)Jeff it woke up from a nap and just walked outside.

Here is the way I see....This maybe harsh...If my husband brought home a dog like that and thought that it was more important than the welfare of his family then I guess he could keep it....but he would not have his wife and child here...I am not going to have a dog that I cannot control or stop. That I cannot train and physically stop. Me not my husband but me myself. The dog you have needs training continously...He should have a WORD that calls him off if he is trained correctly. If not you need to be able to pull him off and your wife also does... I have an 90lb Lab when he goes tracking can pull me all over the woods and I am not a 100lb person either...You take a 150lb attack dog trained to attack and it is going to take ALOT to pull him off because in the heat of attack it is not going to be easy... What you think you can do is alot different from what you can actually do when he is attacking someone..

I truly hope this is a joke but if not it is an issue that will need alot of work.

Broke off his [b]chain[/b] eh? :-? Not good.....i'm not good at these things, but please do't get "rid" of the dog, find it a [b]good[/b] home, with a [b]responsible[/b], [b]loving[/b],[b] caring[/b], [b]expierienced[/b] person ! :o Also, I would try to do it faster, as I heard you have a child at home? :-?

:D Rowie-the-Pooh :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Broke off his chain eh? Not good[/quote]

One of more than one red flag!

No one who breeds and trains dogs for guarding/pp, ethically, responsibly and PROFESSIONALY would send such a dog to such an inexperienced home! Nor would the dog be referred to by them as an "attack" dog.

This dog may very well have been trained to attack, but how was it trained? Anyone can call themselves a professional, and the Presas in San Fran that killed Diane Whipple were trained to attack, but no professional would have EVER referred to them as protection/guardian trained dogs.

Guest Anonymous

Only made it to the "Fila" part, but here's my two cents...

Jeff, please "pm" me so I can refer you to a wonderful Fila breeder friend of mine who can give you advice. Why was the Fila mixed?! That's not good. Why was your dog protection trained? It's not needed with Filas-they are naturals anyhow. I think this dogs breeder is a moron!!! You are doing the right thing by seeking advice. [i]Please [/i]"pm" me.

Connie