Dogomania

What are good?

Ash

Protective Breeds? Kind of like guarder dogs but they wouldn't be subjected to that kind of life believe me. I will get them from a shelter, so mixes are wonderful.. but just want to get a general idea of what breed types. The dogs will be indoor dogs but I would like dogs that like to be outdoors too and keep in mind that we do have COLD winters especially where Im from in MI. and tons of snow!

When I'm finished my 2 years of school here, and my boyfriend will be away on some weekends, so I want to get some type of breed I will feel safe with.

I prefer they be large like 60lbs and up.

An Akita would do the trick. They do well indoors, and will roll around like loons in the snow.
Also, they are pretty much perfect guard dogs without any training necessary. Nobody is going to do anything bad to you with an Akita around.
But, this comes at a price. Socialization is a must! A 100 lb. female who is not trained can be quite a handful. Oh, and did I mention that they shed? :roll:
If you are looking for a loyal, brave dog that will be by your side no matter what, you might want to look into Akitas.
There are a few Akita rescues I know of on the East coast, such as ARWNY, and Midwest Akita Rescue. I believe Midwest serves the MI area.
These Akita rescues are fantastic. You could in essence adopt a fostered Akita and know if a) he gets along with other animals b) he gets along with children

There's a book called something like [u]How To Find The Best Dog For You[/u]. It's good at giving overviews of the breeds, and ranks them as to a bunch of properties, including how well they guard. You can probably find a copy at the library, or Amazon or whatever. It might give you a good start.

The akita is a good choice, in my opinion, only if you're a very experienced dog owner. They're very big, strong, and are not the easiest of first dogs. If I'm reaading right, I'm guessing this is your first dog? Then in addition to guard properties, you need to make sure you get a dog that you can handle.

Make darn sure you don't get a retriever. All they'll do with an intruder is lick them to death and welcome them into your home!!! :lol:

Good luck!!!

I don't even think I really know what an Akita is, but I'm off to do some research. Wow 100 lbs? My boyfriends gonna love that one, lol. I'll keep in mind those rescues but kind of right underneath Canada, in the Midwest?

Im interested in St Benards! I think they are fascinating but they just seem so big and sweet.

DrJ I don't mind a shedding dog. My black lab is a bit of a shredder at all. My black lab Smokie is a bit of a shedder, you should see my bed at home when he jumps off... lol. He loves being brushed too!

GMama I will look that up on Amazon right now. I go to the library a lot and check out the dog section, I've never seen anything like that but I may have overlooked it.

I'm not that expierenced of an owner but until a couple years ago I mainly took care (I moved away from home) a high energy level black lab. Well he's lazy equally as well as the energy level.

Before him we had a mixed mutt, and a german shepard.

And my lab Smokie -- he sometimes sleeps through when people comes at night otherwise he growls if it's dark and he can't tell who you are. All the person would have to do is say go get your toy, and his tail would start wagging and they'd be his friend lol.

I guess it don't really matter to me but I kind of did want something along the lines of protection dogs.

I also want 2 dogs not just one.

[quote name='Ash']I also want 2 dogs not just one.[/quote]
I might scratch Akitas off your list then. Greyhoundmama makes a good point. Akitas can be a whole lot of dog for a first-time owner. Then again, if you can find a foster/rescue adult that has a history of being good with other dogs, it might make it easier. Here is the MARS website, in case you are interested:
[url]http://www.akitas.org/[/url]

i'm working with that kind of dogs so i can try to help you.
the reall question before all is what kind of a gaurd dog you want?
do you want a dog that will be alert to incomers but will only bark or you want a gaurd dog.
there is a differents, any dog can bark and look scary, you don't need special breed for that.
a reall gaurd dog don't just born to be like that, he have to be sulected and trained by proffesonalist for his work.
understand that even if you have very aggresive gaurd dog if he were never trained in protection noting will ensore you that in the reall moment under great pressure this dog won't freak out, break and run away.

the other question you must ask is will you be able to work and keep such a dog. this kind of dogs worked with high defence training and after that worked there fight drive really hard, this dogs don't look at anybody as a friend except you and your family, they have to be very nerve steible so they will be able to act only when needed be without breaking under the events and have to be able to stop imediatly in your command without keeping jumping at everyting.
it's very importent to seet and think will you be able to poll all of this with money, time and abilty.
a dog that were trained as a wepon is needed to be considered as a wepon.
of course he is still your pet, he loves you and everyting that comes with it.
BUT the question is what kind of a gaurd dog you seek?

Oh no no.

I don't want a serious type of guard dog. I just want one that will be protective over my family. I will not train it to bite, I mainly want the dogs to bark and actually warn me when somebody's coming up.

Akita's are really pretty... The ones that are popular mixes up here are black labs/german shepards, so I bet thats what I will probably end up having.

I do think Rottrielers are pretty and a friend of mine has boxers which are adorable. Now that I really think about it a little more, I think I want something along the line of German Shepards/Labs. I'm defiently going to do my homework before I decide which type of breed I want.

All the dog breed quizes I do online come up with labs.. lol!

I'd love to hear any more kinds of suggestions. And I'm checking out the Akita site as we speak! Thanks!

What you probably are looking for is a nice black or black and tan, 60lb pet that barks a lot. The shelters are loaded with them because it is a proven fact they are last dogs to get adopted out because of their colour, they look scary.
You just need a dog that looks the part.
Even if you were to get a protective breed it is likely to run away in the face of danger and leave you standing there to defend yourself. It would need to be protection trained and having said that very few have the temperament to even be considered for protection training.

Sorry to bump an old topic -

Really I didn't know that? I mean I could guess it with cats and all the black cat superstition.

Actually the first dogs I'd probably go to our the black ones. I just happened to I guess prefer those. Yeah I just want more of a barker that alert me so I can grab my gun.

I'm JUST KIDDING. I don't condone personal ownership (other then hunting) of guns in fact I am very much against them.