Dogomania

New puppy coming!

sonebone

I have a brand-new puppy coming to live in my home in 6 weeks! She is a shih tzu, her name is Lola, & she is 3 weeks old!! I am a first-time dog owner, so I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can. Here is my question: I want a loveable, cuddly little furball. Is there anything I can do, or that I should make sure to do, to ensure a sweet personality? Some blog threads I have read, althought they weren't on this particular site (at least not that I read), have mentioned horror stories about their shih tzus constantly biting. Of course, I want a playful pup, but one with a sweet personality! To get a "loving" dog, do you just cuddle & play with it all the time? :D

Also, I am a student, & I have classes on Tues & Thurs that go from 12:00-4:30. Many websites & books have recommended I feed a puppy 3 times a day. I'm wondering when I could get that second feeding in during the middle of the day - would it work if I fed her once in the morning, say around 7/8am, once before I left for class, around 11:30am, and then when I get home, around 5ish? Any suggestions?

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Enroll her into obediance classes as soon as she is old enough(check with your local trainers to see what the age requirement age is..i think it's something like 16 weeks)
Never encourage any biting behaviour, that's how you get a nasty mean lil dog, and of course never hit the dog.

most small dogs end up nasty because their owners think it's oh so cute and funny when they bark and snap at people :roll:

that feeding schedule sounds fine to me, i always fed my puppies twice a day, it's really a matter of perference but with a small dog, 3 meals is probably best since their lil tummys can only hold so much :)

good luck!

[quote]To get a "loving" dog, do you just cuddle & play with it all the time?[/quote]

No not really.

As AllAmerican Pup suggested obedience training is the way to go. Make training fun and keep it up while the pup gets older and you should have a well adjusted happy dog.

I think if there was just cuddling and playing and no training then you would end up with a dog that thinks they are the boss and you are only there to do what they want.

Good luck with your new arrival. Make you share pictures with us when she arrives.

Actually, Shihs are typically good tempered, sweet dogs by nature (general breed trait... Lhasas, on the other hand, look a bit like Shihs and can be little brats... maybe that's the confusion). That's one thing in your favor. If you follow some of the suggestions listed above, you should have a very nice dog.

I like the idea of feeding puppies, especially small breed puppies several times a day.

please buy the book "Before & After Getting Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar. you can buy it online from amazon or order it at any bookstore, the ISBN number is 1577314557.

it's an awesome book that gives you details on everything from housetraining to properly socializing and training your dog.

What everyone else said and use positive only training if possible, socialize, socialize and socialize. Also it is great that you are leaving her with a litter until 9 weeks. Some people want to get their puppy as soon as possible thinking they will bond better and then the puppy will be more devoted or lovey. Those weeks with the litter are really important for developing proper social skills, bonding etc - they pay off. If I ever get another dog from a breeder (unlikely) I would seriously consider leaving them with the breeder until as much as 12 weeks (just my personal pref. though - 9 is great.)