Dogomania

Riley's at the vet

eric

Well, Riley's spending the day at the vet and when we go pick him up tonight, much like a hockey game, there won't be any balls.

We probably should of done it sooner, but we wanted to wait until my wife was off for the summer so that he won't be alone at all during his recovery.

For some reason, it seemed so hard with him to do with him. I almost felt reluctant to do it, but obviously it has to be done.

We had a hard time just getting him away from his bro's. He just sat next to the enclosure we have in the basement where his bro's were locked up and wouldn't budge. We had to put the leash on him to get him to leave. I guess its hard for him as this is probably the first time since we've gotten him that he's been completely alone; we always have at least one other dog with us.

I think the technician thought we were a big cookoo. My wife was out and out crying, I was starting to tear up, Riley was whining. I know its a simple routine operation, but still, its hard.

Not Riley. He has (had) a big dangling pair. My wife did not find them very the aesthetically pleasing.

[quote name='Michele'][quote]much like a hockey game, there won't be any balls.

[/quote]

LOL........

I rremember when JC when in. The vet said they had to use a magnifyig glass cause they were so small......LOL[/quote]

I hope so. With Sam we had to go back and get some pain medication for him because he was whining alot and you could tell he was in pain.

Travis and Zeke were back to their old selves within a day or so.

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']Paddy didn't mind at all- he has not missed his - his recovery was fast too The next day he was back to normal I hope Riley does as-well[/quote]

Any news?

Jerry was neutered the day before we adopted him from our local Humane Shelter. He was 5 at the time. He sat a little sideways for a while, but otherwise was fine!

I hope Riley has an easy recovery and a warm reunion with his brothers!

As promised, here's the update.

First of all, the operation went fine. They didn't operate on him until around 3 pm, which really upset my wife. We were supposed to pick him up around 4 - 4:30, but they apparently had a few emergencies and so didn't operate till 3. This meant that we weren't able to go pick him up until 7:30. My wife was upset because she had wanted to minimize his time at the vet just to keep his anxiety to a minimum.

When we went to pick him up we brought Zeke with us because Zeke was walking around the house crying all day yesterday. I think he was pretty depressed about not having his bro around. My wife said the house was dead quiet, which she found very eerie because usually Zeke and Riley are rough-housing and chasing each other around.

Anyhow, the technician went to the back to go get him but he wouldn't budge for her. After a minute or so, she came back and got my wife becuase Ri-Ri was not moving. My wife went to the back and as soon as he heard her voice he jumped to his feet and ran to her. She brought him out to the front and he almost tore the leash out of her hand to see Zeke and I.

We all huddled around him and it was hugs and kisses from everybody.
He was still pretty groggy from the operation, and you could see he was a little unsteady on his feet. He kept whining softly as we talked to him.

The tech gave us the run-down (2 weeks no swimming!!! That's going to be fun to try to keep him out of the lake) and we left. Riley could not wait to get into the Pathfinder. Its strange what they recognize. He just beelined right for it and leaped in. Once in, he assumed his position on the armrest between the two front seats, and kept whining softly as we drove off.

The clinic's not far, so it's only a 5 minute drive to home. As we turned into the driveway, he started whining much more loudly, almost crying. I guess he recognized that we were home. Out of the truck and into the house, where he immediately searched every room for Sam and Travis (who were locked up downstairs - we thought it would be too much to bring everybody). The wife let Sam and Trav out, and we had a big reunion with lots of sniffing.

We basically took it easy for the rest of the night. He didn't sleep very much, and we could tell he was in some discomfort. I spent most of the night sitting on the floor with him and petting and stroking him. Whenever I stopped stroking him, he'd start to whine again. Zeke got all jealous and kept trying to sit in my lap.

When we went to bed he crawled under our bed and fell asleep. Around 6:30 this morning, he started whining again so I think he's still in a bit of pain. My wife got up with him and put some food down. We weren't supposed to give him any food yesterday, so the poor thing hadn't eaten in 24 hours. He wolfed down an entire bowl of dog food by himself.

When I left for work, he seemed to be feeling better. My wife's going to have her hands full keeping him quiet, especially with Zeke around.