Dogomania

Browsing Petfinder....

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I fell in love with [the looks of] these two.

[b]Sam & Duke[/b]
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX294/TX294.4425199-1-pn.jpg[/img][img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX294/TX294.4425181-1-pn.jpg[/img]

They are brother and sister. Although from looks you would think Sam would be the boy and Duke would be the girl... but oh well. See, Id much rather have a pair of dogs than just one. Duke has the perfect coloring that I dream of. I mean, just look at those eyes. And Sam, I love the cropped ears.

Arent they just gorgeous???? :o :D

Oh and then theres an AmStaff that I like too and he gets along with cats so thats great because thats the biggest issue with picking a dog for me.

[b]Butternut[/b]
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX674/TX674.4353194-1-pn.jpg[/img][img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX674/TX674.4353194-2-pn.jpg[/img]

and this one caught my eye too:

[b]Rusty[/b]
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX294/TX294.4208468-1-pn.jpg[/img][img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX294/TX294.4208468-2-pn.jpg[/img][img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX294/TX294.4208468-3-pn.jpg[/img]

[quote]Rusty is a 60lb, one and one half year old buckskin male American Pit Bull Terrier- this sweetie is not named Rusty because of his color, but because he's "rusted and tarnished" ready to be "polished" so he can shine through. Rusty is currently being fostered in Dallas-Forth Worth, TEXAS but is a Pit Prints rescue, so if a home is found in Atlanta, we can arrange to get Rusty here, though he can also be placed in/near the Dallas-Forth Worth area. He is not in a permanent situation, and needs a permanent home ASAP.

Rusty was rescued from the streets of Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas after it had been discovered that he had been fought-he was dumped in a bad area that was known for Pit fighting, with infected/painful wounds, and an empty belly. The "rescuers" couldn't keep him, but fell in love with how sweet he was, and dedicated themselves to finding him a permanent home. Unfortunately, permanent placement was not available, but they contacted us and we were able to find a GREAT foster home for him, until his forever home comes along.

Rusty currently lives in a home with small children, and other dogs- he's proven himself a GREAT companion. He loves kids, and is very gentle with them. He also has gotten along wonderfully with the foster's other dogs- though we suggest that [if placed with other dogs] he be placed with a submissive female dog. We do prefer that Rusty be placed as the only dog, so that he can get all the attention- but with the right companion, he would be fine in a home with another dog: under NO circumstances will he be placed in a home with male dogs.

Rusty loves the "good life"...all the things he probably never had before being rescued- hugs, kisses, belly rubs, soft pillows, beds, or couches to lay on, toys, treats....the list goes on and on. He enjoys toys and treats....knuckle bones, pig ears...you name it...he loves it! Rusty has been neutered, brought current on vaccines, heartworm tested negative, kept current on heartworm prevention, fecal tested, de wormed, and microchipped. There is a $175.00 adoption fee to partially reimburse the organization for the veterinary expenses listed above.

Rusty is housebroken, and is fully crate trained. He is looking for an INDOOR home, ONLY: we do not adopt to homes that will keep our rescued Pitties outdoors and/or on chains, runners, or in fences, kennels, pens, etc- If you cannot/will not provide an indoor home for our Bullies, or are looking to breed/fight, do NOT contact our organization (or apply for adoption) regarding Rusty or any of our rescued Pit Bulls. Application, adoption fee, home checks, references, and contract are REQUIRED for adoption. Rusty promises that if you'll give him a forever home, kisses, and belly rubs, then he'll provide you with a lifetime of love, loyalty, and Pittie kisses -
[/quote]

Rusty is from the same orginazation as Sam and Duke, which is [url=http://www.animalalliesoftexas.org]AAT[/url]

I dont know what to do. I feel like if I dont adopt from Straydog Ill be betraying them somehow but none of the dogs there other than Tallie really catch my interest. Even with Tallie Im not sure if I can get her.... heck if I told my mom everything about her, she wouldnt let me get her. In fact Im kinda scared that Tallie might kill my cat or even injure me.

See, she has problems with redirected aggression. She bit me twice. Not hard, I barely felt it. BUT she DID bite me. Im willing to work with her but Im not willing to put my cat or my mom at risk, only myself. Even then if something really bad happened [which I cant imagine Tallie ever causing REAL damage but ya never know] Id hate for her to be just another "vicious" pit bull.

Ugh. Any opinions on my problem?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would never chance it with a dog like Tallie. Unfortunately it sounds like she needs to be put down for her own good :(

I love the first pair, they're gorgeous. I don't think you'd be betraying anyone by adopting from another organization, you're still rescuing and they should appreciate that.

[quote name='Jessashelony'][quote name='Lucky Chaos']Don't take this the wrong way, but I would never chance it with a dog like Tallie. Unfortunately it sounds like she needs to be put down for her own good :( [/quote]

Did I miss something?[/quote]

Yeah.. I feel as if I've missed a post or two.. :-?

[quote]See, she has problems with redirected aggression. She bit me twice. Not hard, I barely felt it. BUT she DID bite me. Im willing to work with her but Im not willing to put my cat or my mom at risk, only myself. Even then if something really bad happened [which I cant imagine Tallie ever causing REAL damage but ya never know] Id hate for her to be just another "vicious" pit bull.[/quote]

What were the circumstances under which she bit you?

I think that Sam and Duke are both gorgous, but you should probably be thinking could you [i]really[/i] handle two full grown but young, high energy dogs. I believe last time when you were taking care of the little puppy you mentioned that you didn't think you could handle a puppy or something along those lines? Given puppies are a huge amount of work, but so are young high energy dogs.
Just remember you want what's best for the dogs to come first. :D

I personally would never adopt any dog that has bitten before...

this dog is going to be with you for quite a few years, so dont adopt a dog from stray dog just because you volunteer....if none of the dogs click with you from stray dog then oh well.....obviously they arent in danger of dying....so i would adopt any dog that clicks with you....

[quote name='abker17']What were the circumstances under which she bit you?

I think that Sam and Duke are both gorgous, but you should probably be thinking could you [i]really[/i] handle two full grown but young, high energy dogs. I believe last time when you were taking care of the little puppy you mentioned that you didn't think you could handle a puppy or something along those lines? Given puppies are a huge amount of work, but so are young high energy dogs.
Just remember you want what's best for the dogs to come first. :D[/quote]

Well, the two bitings happened within ten minutes of each other. I have to stress though it wasnt exactly a bite, it didnt hurt a bit... although I guess that doesnt really make a difference. :( Anyway, this other female dog that she doesnt like AT ALL was getting a little too close for Tallie's comfort and she starting barking and growling, trying to get at her. Since I trusted her I grabbed her muzzle. Apparently I was wrong about trusting her and she shook out of my grip getting my thumb a little. Yes I know I made the mistake that got me nipped.

The second time was the same thing except all I did was pull her back. Its hard to explain the position we were in but Ill try. Im facing Tallie and shes facing the dog which is to my right. Well Im sitting on the floor and without getting up I just pushed her by her harness further towards my left. Okay now try to picture my arm extending all the way to the left and my hand toward her back... which left my forearm by Tallie's face. All of the sudden she kinda mouthed my arm. Again it wasnt exactly biting, no pain no visible signs I was even touched.

Oh and I know how hard it can be to handle two young, strong pits. Technically they are still puppies but Maggie was a young puppy, meaning peeing and pooping all over and I couldnt take my eye off of her without her getting into trouble. Yound adults have settled a bit more and all the dogs Ive picked are housebroken, woohoo. I dont mind a lot of energy but I cant handle too much.

Ugh I love Tallie so much. :( She wont be put down though, even if it were for the best, it just wont happen. As long as shes at Straydog she and others will be safe, as long as they dont make any mistakes with handling her. And I think some of the volunteers said something so she doesnt come to Adoption Day anymore... which sucks for me but I guess its for the best.
If it werent for my cat, I do think I would adopt her though. I think Tallie can change. Now had she actually drawn blood, or heck even left a scratch then my choice might be different but she didnt.

[quote]Ugh I love Tallie so much. She wont be put down though, even if it were for the best, it just wont happen. As long as shes at Straydog she and others will be safe, as long as they dont make any mistakes with handling her. And I think some of the volunteers said something so she doesnt come to Adoption Day anymore... which sucks for me but I guess its for the best.
If it werent for my cat, I do think I would adopt her though. I think Tallie can change. Now had she actually drawn blood, or heck even left a scratch then my choice might be different but she didnt.[/quote]

If she were any other breed I would totally agree with you, but with pit bulls even that is unacceptable. A well bred pit wouldn't even think of biting when going after another dog. Can she ever be adopted out? She may have to live her life out at Straydog, taking up a kennel place that could go to many dogs in her lifetime. Thats the sad part.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']Oh and I know how hard it can be to handle two young, strong pits. Technically they are still puppies but Maggie was a young puppy, meaning peeing and pooping all over and I couldnt take my eye off of her without her getting into trouble. Yound adults have settled a bit more and all the dogs Ive picked are housebroken, woohoo. I dont mind a lot of energy but I cant handle too much. [/quote]
I don't know how old these dogs are, but I can tell you that Haley is 4 yrs old now, and just starting to lose her maniac launch all around the house, be a savage attitude. In addition, she's become even less tolerant towards other dogs that bother her in the past year or so, which is less than surprising, but also less than nice. With two APBTs, you can pretty much plan on having two completely seperate "dog schedules"... seperate walks (unless you can talk someone you trust to handle one into walking with you), seperate training sessions (since amped up food/toy hounds are great to train, not great to have decide they both want the same thing), maybe even seperate playtime. Not to mention that if one dog decides to do something unpleasant (like attack your cat), the other will most likely join in and you'll have a mess on your hands. I often feel as if the dogs are maybe being slighted for attention, especially when one goes and the others are being left at home, stuck in a room or crate for their own safety, it's definitely not always a pleasant thing. In addition, adopting two bonded dogs brings up a whole nother plethora of possible issues, and most rescue I know (even all breed rescues, but especially APBT rescues) will only adopt two dogs at once to people with extensive breed/pack experience... especially since these two are still in a shelter situation, you don't know what sort of surprises are in store once they get to a home with consistent love and companionship always there and their real personalities start to shine through. Since this is your first dog (I think?), both you and your dog would probably be better served by them being your one and only, at least for a while.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']
Can she ever be adopted out? She may have to live her life out at Straydog, taking up a kennel place that could go to many dogs in her lifetime.[/quote]

Well, most of the dogs at straydog have been there for many years. Id say, unfortunately, about 40-70% of the dogs at Straydog are unadoptable or otherwise unappealing to adopters.

....its so depressing to work in rescue... *sigh*

I hate to say it, but I don't think any of the dogs on your list would be good choices for you.

Tallie is dangerous and should not be adopted out.

Same and Duke have to go together right? Adopting two young, energetic pit bulls is not a good idea for someone's first dog owning experience. Sam and Duke are young and get along now, but may not in a year or so. Would your mother really want to deal with two dogs that can't be in the same room together?

What about Butternut or Rusty? I know they are not listed in your signature, but you did post about them originally. Rusty is also not in a permanent situation and needs a home very soon.