Dogomania

Need some advice..

I need some help. My grandparents won't let Zeus our GSD in the house anymore.. I'm devastated. He's still getting daily attetion & interaction. But I want him inside with us. But no, they want him to stay outside, because he's large. Any ideas on how to make them keep him inside sometimes?? I don't want him to have any health problems because he's outside.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']Bring him in and tell them to deal with it. If you have to, bring him in on a leash. Its not fair for him to be outside 24/7. Dogs are pack animals and you can't spend all day/night out there with him. I doubt he's that much bigger then Sassy.[/quote]That reminds me of something i told my friend(not really more like just a neighborhood kid) who hates dogs and was complaining about them so I finaly told her if she wanted to complain about my dogs she can leave...they live here and she don't. My mom also told my aunt the same thing once 2.

Knowing the history of what you have said about your grandparents before I know this isn't a situation that you can get easily around. SPG you really need to get up on your feet and move out. However explain to them that dogs are social animals and they need human companionship inside the house. If he is left outside with less social interaction he could turn aggressive and ultimately if he bites then he may have to be euthanased. I know thats taking it to the extreme but you need extreme angles right now to convince your grandparents.

Good luck

To start with, instead of letting him come in and have free run of the house, bring him in and tether him to a spot that is out of the way but one from which he can still see the family members.

That way both sides win. Zeus gets to come inside and be close to his “people” and your grandparents can’t really complain about that too much. If he is tethered he can’t be causing a rucus and if they are worried about mess you can have him lie on a mat.

You would need to do the same for Sassy though. It would be too hard on Zeus for him to be tethered but to be able to see Sassy run around doing as she pleases.

I hate them. I truely hate them. Zeus is a good 95lbs. Well behaved at times & other times he can be a bit stuborn. But the problem is him & Sassy do have problems with each other in each others space. So I'd either have to crate Sassy for awhile while I let him in. What makes this even more complicated is that my grandpa has been declineing in health. And everytime Zeus see him, he barks at him. A "don't come near me" bark. Which is highly unusal. So they think he might bite. I'm going to have to make a descion on his future.. I don't know what to do.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']I hate them. I truely hate them. Zeus is a good 95lbs. Well behaved at times & other times he can be a bit stuborn. But the problem is him & Sassy do have problems with each other in each others space. So I'd either have to crate Sassy for awhile while I let him in. What makes this even more complicated is that my grandpa has been declineing in health. And everytime Zeus see him, he barks at him. A "don't come near me" bark. Which is highly unusal. So they think he might bite. I'm going to have to make a descion on his future.. I don't know what to do.[/quote]

who wants him out more, Gram or Grandpa? I would bet Grandpa. dogs sense the way people feel, and that may be why Zeus is barking at him. he can sense some dislike there....

to keepZeus in, you may have to rein Sassy in as well.also, the roundworm warning is a good one. people can get roundworm, its messy, itchy and scaly....dont want that now do they? It rarely happens to inside dogs...(ok, so exaggerate a little....)

Laurel can sense that Kyle really doesnt like her (he thinks she's a wimp, and yes, she is. I love her anyway) and she barks at him everytime he comes near her. because she senses how he feels. slowly he is responding, but its taken a long time, and the influence of his girlfriend who just adores her, and Laurel likes her too......

so some mat training inside is necessary.dogs come in, dogs lay down on beds/mats. its their spot and they have to stay there. it willmake the GP's feel better if both are calm when inside.

goodluck

8)

Yup, as per usual, the wise ones of Dogo have helped out before I could even get here. LOL Aren't they wonderful, SPG?

I think that you should probably show your grandparents a list of all the diseases and problems that can happen if Zeus is living outside 24/7. That shows them that you are being serious and responsible.

I'd be glad to help you with this if you want.

Hope everything works out,
Eileen