Dogomania

Sam has elevated liver enzymes

eric

Well, we got the Wellness Testing done for Sam and Travis last thursday. Basically its a blood test that looks for heartworm as well as a number of other indicators.

The vet called over the weekend and left a message saying that Sam's test showed elevated liver enzymes. She said that we shouldn't get too worried now and to redo the test in a month. Apparently, in the majority of cases when the retest them the liver enzymes have gone back to normal and they just ate something.

Between the house and the cottage, it seems like I'm always giving them shit for eating stuff outside. There is no food out here - therefore you should not be eating anything!

I hope that all it is. Sam's only 6 years old. Its too soon.

I know this is serious but you got me laughing with this:

[quote]There is no food out here - therefore you should not be eating anything!
[/quote]

Because I have thought this so many times. Zaphod is always willing to try eating [i]something[/i] outside.

I hope the next test is normal and its just a little hiccup. I will be wishing good things for you both.

I get so frustrated sometimes. It seems like somebody's always eating something outside.

I literally say to them: "Drop it! What are you eating? There's nothing to eat out here, so why are you eating?"

I know last weekend (the weekend before the test) he ate something and then got sick, so this might be what affected his test.

[quote name='DogPaddle']I know this is serious but you got me laughing with this:

[quote]There is no food out here - therefore you should not be eating anything!
[/quote]

Because I have thought this so many times. Zaphod is always willing to try eating [i]something[/i] outside.

I hope the next test is normal and its just a little hiccup. I will be wishing good things for you both.[/quote]

I have seriously considered a muzzle just to stop Zaphod from eating stuff. It's not so bad when I walk him alone on a 6ft leed but if I have both boys out or take them too the beach or to my aunt's farm or my freinds big yard it gets soooo hard to stay on him all the time. I have also considered taking him to a trainer around here who does "poison-proofing" training for your dog - basically you train them not to eat ANYTHING unless you give it to them or unless you give them a paticular command.

Good luck on Sam's next test.

We went through a bad patch about a month ago. Our saint, Ben, ate something outside (went down into one of the natural bowls in the woods and wouldn't come back out until he rooted out some noxious thing) and then had running bowels for 4 days. Augh!

We were staying awake at all hours to let him out, then in, out, then in,...
Poor fellow was miserable and I went through all the home treatment steps to solidify things. I was on the brink of getting him to the vet when it began to clear up.

Through all of this his appetite was not affected. :roll:

Dogs...how can they want to eat such disgusting stuff?