Dogomania

High quality dog food...

pomeranians

I'm feeding Conner Science Diet currently. The vet says its supose to be a great food, but not many others agree. So, I'm thinking of changing brands. I'm not sure to exactly what though. I've heard Canidae is of high quality, but the only store that sells it here is fairly far from us.

Anyone know of some "good" dog foods?

My dogs eat a natural diet. I just bought a bag of Eagle Pack Power formula to give my Whippet in the morning to fatten him up, and have a bag of Eagle Pack large breed puppy formula on the way for my Boxer pup to feed in addition to his natural diet. The other brand I would consider buying for my dogs is Innova, except I can't order that one in. So far though, I'm very happy with the Eagle Pack Power, the dogs seem to love it and it gives them so much energy! My Whippet is usually very lazy, but after feeding him some of that he was racing around the back yard like a maniac! I will only feed my dogs Science Diet if I don't have access to raw foods and there is nothing else available. Even with the Eagle Pack, I would not feed any brand of dog food without feeding raw bones at least once a day.

Uh ohhh...it gives them [b]more[/b] energy? Heh, I don't think Conner needs that! :lol:

I've heard of Innova, but I don't think its sold anywhere in the state. Same goes for the Eagle Pack. I'll do a search, see what I can find. Some store somewhere has got to sell some decent food!

These stores sell Innova:
Alaska Garden and Pet (907) 279-4519 114 North Orca
Anchorage, AK 99510
Petzoo-Anchorage (907) 522-8006 7941 Brayton Dr
Anchorage, AK 99507
Alaska Feed Company (907) 451-5570 1600 College Rd.
Fairbanks, AK 99709
Animal Food Warehouse (907) 746-0056 10201 E Palmer-Wasilla Hw...
Palmer, AK 99645
Petzoo-Wasilla (Fred Meyer parking lot) (907) 357-7335 1481 E Parks Hwy
Wasilla, AK 99654

These stores sell Wellness:
Animal Food Warehouse - Brayton Dr. 7521 Brayton Drive Anchorage, AK 99507 Phone: 907-522-8006
Animal House 219 E. Int'l Airport Road Anchorage, AK 99518 Phone: 907-561-7387
Alaska Animal Food Warehouse Mile 37.7 Parks Highway Wasilla, AK 99687 Phone: Fax: 907-357-3663 907-357-3666
Happy Paws 1425 Muldoon Road Anchorage, AK 99504 907-333-7400
Alaska Feed 1600 College Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99709 907-451-5570

You can also use companies store locators:

Wysong
[url]http://64.177.150.233/us.shtml[/url]
Eagle Pack - My suggestion is to go with their Holistic line as the others have corn and salt from what I could see.
[url]http://www.eaglepack.com/retailer_search/[/url]

Most companies have a store locator on their website so if you find a dog food with excellent ingredients you'd like to check out give that a try too.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='DogPaddle']I would avoid Maxium. I believe it is just another version of Ol'Roy (although I could be wrong) and that certainly isn't an improvement on Science Diet.[/quote]

Wal Mart's Maxximum Nutrion brand is just Purina One with a different bag. If you read the labels... they say the exact same thing... the marketing as well as the ingredients.

I go to Petzoo all the time, and didn't even realise they sold those foods. :o

It looks like its between Wellness & Innova. I know that "meals" in the food aren't very good, but thats about all I know. :oops: Which one is better, or are they about the same?

Oh, and thank you so much DogPaddle for posting all the stores! :D

Hah hah, my fiances mom had a Dane who ate nothing but Ol' Roy all his life. He was 160 pounds of muscle in his prime. Sadly Elmis had passed away just recently- at 11 1/2 years old!

Some foods are obviously better for your dog than others, but I think the whole diet issue is taken too seriously. We're all being made victims of a marketing war. It seems that if the FDA can't decide on what's good and what's bad for humans, then how is it that these food companies can know what your dog needs?

NP. Just call ahead, sometimes a shop is supposed to carry a certain food and doesn't have it in. I always have to call ahead to get my EVO (Innova.)
Wellness and Innova are both great. Watch his weight on both of them, but if he needs to pick up weight that will work well. I've heard you should watch their teeth on Wellness but I didn't find it to be a problem.

I just switched my Jacks over to EVO. Supposed to be the closest dog food to a raw diet. They love it !! I can get it at my local pet store but I have to order the big bag because they don't carry a large quanity of the 28lb. bags.

Gretchen (Lab/Rott) is fed prescription dog food (IVD venison/Potato) only sold by the Vet with a prescription. She has food related allergies that give her horrible ear infections.

Guest Anonymous

I've been looking into Merrick pet care brand. It's American made!!

In any case, it's about the closet thing to a real food diet than any brand I've seen. I gave Kiani a can of a chicken dinner. It had real pieces of chicken in it, a leg and a thigh I think. But since it was cooked for so long, the bone was very brittle and didn't break like a normally cooked chicken bone into splinters. And she chowed that stuff down in no time at all. I gave her two cans of it, and now she won't eat her dry stuff anymore.

There's a website that has all the flavors and everything that's in it. The one thing I've noticed is, the first ingredient is real meat, and it's not all made up of just brewers rice and by-product stuff. Just some good ol' wholesome chicken and turkey and beef and all the trimmings.
It's fairly expensive about a 1$ a pound if you go with the big bags.

[url]http://www.merrickpetcare.com/[/url]

It just came out on store shelves here a couple weeks ago. I've given her thier treats, which she loves, for about a month now.
I know it's difficult. She's on medication again for a UTI, and I want to give her something that's not going to upset the problem. And I sure can't afford 50$ bags of presciption science diet. And hopefully not a 600$ bladder stone operation.

Just looked at Con's food situation, he has quite a bit left.
So it'll probably be awhile until I get him the new food anyhow. I'll make sure I mix it at first, don't want to upset his system, but I'm going to wait a week or so before I get it. (We're at Pet zoo every to every-other week, so I won't worry about calling.)

Wish I could get Wellness here :roll:

Oh well, the majority of their diet is still natural anyway. As far as I've heard from other Aussies, Eagle Pack is the best stuff you can get here. Diego is fattening up quite nicely :wink: