Dogomania

Feeding times

Kerislc

I have been feeding Scout twice a day. I give hime half right before I go to work and the other half when we eat dinner. Lately he has hardly touched what I give him in the morning (maybe a couple of bites)and eats all of it when I put more in his bowl at night. Should I just ditch the morning feeding? Scout is about 8 months and has been doing this for about 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I feed different things for the meals. For one of my dogs (the one that bloats) I feed kibble mixed with soft food in the morning and in the evening I feed a raw meal. My dogs enjoy the variety in their diet and especially love it when they get a few raw meals. You could try in the morning feeding raw meat; what I do is I cut beef or chicken/Lamb or some other protein source I give a different protein source which i change weekly. I mix in some organ meats like liver/heart and some ground up meat like ground hamburg/turkey/chicken or lamb. Then I add a couple tablespoon fulls of puried veggies and fruits mixed with hemp or flax oil, organic yogurt with live bacteria cultures, kelp, and what ever else I have in my cupboard that healthy.
With the differnt types of meals my dogs don't get bored. I never feed the same brand of kibble either. Every 4-5 months I change brands, for instance I fed Innova, now Im feeding wellness, next I'll feed Solid gold then eagle pack then back to Innova, and I mix in California naturals some times as well.
Variety is good for health of your dog and its good to keep your dog interested in what he/she is eating. :wink:
Like DO I never feed kibble without adding canned food or fresh meats and veggies or yogurt. I think it just looks plain boring and unhealthy. :wink:

I feed Jackie and Maya at 11:00 a.m. and shortly after midnight (after I get home from work). Maya will eat anything, any time. But Jackie isn't always hungry at dinner time, and I can't just leave her food or Maya would eat it. So I smoosh a piece of turkey around on the bottom of Jackie bowl and put her dry dog food on top of that. That way she smells the turkey (which she LOVES), and eats all her food when I give it to her and licks her bowl clean.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have 3 dogs and they get fed 2X/day. In the morning at 7:30 and 5pm at night.
I put their food down and give them a certain length of time to finish, if they don't finish the bowl gets picked up and they have to wait until the next meal.
They soon learn to finish it while it's there !!! :wink:

My 3 eat their meals within 10 min. :D It's all in the conditioning. :wink: