Dogomania

Help stop dogs on chains

Aroura

I think this is a great petition, and I think with a bit of effort we could make it to 10,000 sigs!!! Only 300 more to go! Lets do it everyone, the dogs deserve it, not to mention it will help stop millers in their tracks!

[url]http://www.gopetition.com/online/4021.html[/url]

I signed though its rather contradictory and ambiguous. Throughout the text it boycotts any penning of dogs and doesn't state the clear outline until you get to the end of the text to say what you are signing for. I disagree with using heavy chains for dogs, but tie-out lines are a useful tool if the dog is supervised. Pens are also fine as long as the dog has adequate food/water/shelter/shade etc.

I understand that the purpose of this petition is to serve the dogs that are left tied out and penned all the time, but is this law going to be able to seperate the owners who do this from the owners who tie out their dogs so they dont get hit by a car while enjoying outdoor time? Hunter loves being outside but I cant afford to fence in my yard, and while hes good about staying in the yard, not everyone elses dog is. I think that until this petition is worded differently its going to open up a whole new world of problems for responsible dog owners. I dont want to take the chance of being arrested because my dog is on a tie out for 20 minutes a couple times a day. There too many loopholes as its written, so sorry, I cant sign yet.

I'm sorry but I have to agree. A complete ban on tie-outs will hurt people who dont have fenced yards. I have one now, but even so, my sone will tie the two dogs out in front when he's in the garage. The ties are long enough for the dogs to get to the kids, and jump in the truck, without being able to reach the sidewalk or the street. They are never tied out, or left out, alone. There is always someone here at home when they are in the yard, and there is always someone outside with them when tied out front.

So as mentioned, it would need to be reworded before I could sign it in good conscience. The people next door only have half a fence, so they tie their dog out to do his business a few times a day, and then take him for long walks in the evening. This law would hurt them

[quote]This petition serves the dogs who have been chained or penned FOR LIFE - not those who have been allowed outside to enjoy the good weather, to do "their business," or play.[/quote]

but yet then it says

[quote]A. No person shall, at any time, fasten, chain, or tie any dog or cause such dog to be fastened, chained or tied while such dog is on the dog owner's property or on the property of the dog owner's landlord[/quote]

that's very contradicting.

I also agree with most of the posters here. I don't like to see dogs chained out all day. But my dog, Maya, has to be on a cable when she's in the back yard because she's a fence jumper. I would rather have her tied out than have her jump the fence and get hit by a car. But her cable is 35 feet long, and she can use most of the yard and run and play and wrestle with my other dog, Jackie.

They definitely need to rework the wording on the proposed legislation. It definitely wouldn't be feasible the way it's worded now.

this was really bothering me, because it IS a good cause, and I agree with, but the wording is so ambiguous that, as is, were it to become law, it would hurt the decent pet owners without yards. so, I sent them a message asking them to reword the petition:

While I COMPLETELY agree with the sentiment of this petition, it needs to be re-worded before I will sign it. In the "body" of the explanation, it states that this petition is meant for dogs who are tied/chained out constantly. HOWEVER, in the petition itself, it unequivocably states that NO dogs will be chained out. It doesnt specify that there are exceptions for the dogs to play, go, etc. As worded, this petition will hurt the decent pet owners who can't afford, or are not allowed, to fence their yards. If you could see to rewording it, with the exceptions above, I will then sign it.

Thanks

Maybe that will help? I hope so.

8)

Can't sign it either. We've been through this" to chain or not chain" thing here over and over, and I think we can aggree to disagree. There is a difference between a single dog chained behind someone's home and denied food, water and love, and a group of dogs, (like mine)who are chained to keep them from running away or getting shot,even on my own property unfortunately. Last year, they ran over a thousand miles through country mosty people just see on calenders, they are fed , watered and loved more than allot of "pet" dogs that I see. They have a quarter acre fenced play area where they can run, usually 3 to 4 times a week-and as far as chained dogs being anti-social, well, the picture below is worth a thousand words. I agree- abandoning a dog to a chain is cruel, but there are situations where chaining is the most effective way to protect dogs from harm. BTW, kenneling is not an option with most Husky type dogs- they dislike it and begin pacing and digging.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQAaA7Iay6Pa!L5nfUzSOcziqlbSfXz9tpHAy1DIUaVkVgTfUAR1dOYk77sH7v7vaJED4BwhGfEBzf0Zfe9Dy!i4irXPKMyFtx*7t!jxKPZoSYLtRqDSi76fqT6omyODS30NdUaQFNQ/0207162-R1-002-00A.jpg?dc=4675493883918256703[/img]