Dogomania

Pit bulls-a breed even cockroaches can look down upon

Seijun

I'm not saying it isn't a good article, just struck me as odd the way he started out. One minute he seems to be bashing pits, but then the next he supports them. Just a bit strange, that's all. I'm glad he doesn't want them banned though.

~Seij

[quote name='"Dog Lover"']Wow...that is such a WEIRD article. I've never read one where the journalist HATES Pit Bulls with a passion, but does not support their banning. He did stand up for responsible owners. I just didn't like his Pit Bull bashing through out the article. :-?

[quote]Little more than a four-legged testosterone boost for the machismo-challenged folks -- who'd be better off seeking help from Pfizer Inc. -- pit bulls are a loathsome, ugly breed, loved mainly by those with serious self-confidence issues.[/img]

His descriptions of Pit Bulls DID make my skin crawl. :( Has he met a real Pit Bull? They have the CUTEST grins...but then again maybe I'm bias. :wink:[/quote]

which is why I responded. I respect this guy, for having his own personal opinnion (altho I dont agree with it) but still showing the fallacy of banning laws.

Michael, thank you.

While I dont agree with your opinion that Pit's are horrible, ugly or loathsome, I thank you for this article. It was written with reality in check. You dont have to like Pit's or think they're beautiful, or want one. I respect your opinion.

I also respect that fact that you realize, although you dont seem to like Pit's, that banning the breed is not the answer. And you are SOOOO correct that the low-lifes
in the world, and the people who dont know how to raise or train a dog, will simply
get another one if this one is banned.

I dont own a Pit Bull, and never have. But I am totally against banning for any breed,
for many reasons. As you pointed out, it all comes down to the owners, and the amount of time/energy you want to put into the dog. If you dont want to put in the time/energy, dont get a dog.

I have a Lab Mix. Touted as "good with children". NOT. She doesnt like small children
and she is not real good with strangers either. I am an experienced dog owner, I know her strengths AND her limitations. She is not allowed offleash around small children, or strangers. She is not allowed offlleash at ALL...

Owners need to be made to take responsibility for what their dogs do. It's as simple as that.

Katy Courtney
Illinois, USA

Interesting article.

[quote]If a bad driver crashes his truck, we don't try to ban Fords -- we punish the idiot behind the wheel.

And so it should be with dogs driven to bite by terrible owners. [/quote]

I really like this analagy and have used something similar myself in the past.

To me it's just so simple and I really have a hard time understanding why some people just don't get it.

Car accidents are probably the number one cause of unnatural deaths, however cars aren't banned. We have laws in place that force people to drive in a responsible manner. Dog ownership should be no different.