Dogomania

Don't leave collars on dogs when you leave!

EmmeAndCharley

I don't leave collars on my dogs when I leave for the day. Today I was reminded WHY!!

I was getting ready for work this morning and my dogs were hanging around the bathroom while I was putting on my makeup. Charley (Silky Terrier) stood up on his hind legs for a moment, near a bathroom fixture. He fell back slightly and the D-ring on his collar got hooked onto a bathroom fixture.

I saw immediately that he was struggling to get free, and I quickly helped to free him. If I hadn't been right there, I am certain that he would have choked to death trying to break free. I shudder at the thought.

Please take a moment to take off your dogs' collars before you leave them home alone!

Thank you so much for that post!

When we're not at home, or Rowie is unsupervised, we remove her collar. Whenever she is out in the garden, I take off her collar. For walks or for when she is inside the house she keeps it on, with her tags and everything. You are so right about them being able to choke, so many dogs have died in this manner (choking). When Rowie is in the garden w/out her collar she is supervised, so if she escaped the garden (which is almost impossible as we have very high double-brick walls and an electronic gate...but you never know) all we have to do is go outside and call her. And if she escaped the house without us knowing and ran outside onto the street she would have her collar and tags with our telephone number and all that...

Also, this person I knew kept her dog's collar on 24/7. It was made of leather and he (the dog) was always pulling against it when on walks and he was often tied up. One day she removed the collar and saw that there was no fur under the collar, and that it was red, raw and bloody. You can bet your patooties she never kept the collar on him all the time after that! Also, the farm next to us have their dogs chained up 24/7 and the dogs have no fur under their collars (due to no air, and always pulling against the chain and collar). :(

We always kept Mocha's collar on just in case. When we weren't home, if she ran away then she would be considered a stray and taken to the animal shelter. Same if she were outside. That happend one time. She was out in the back and some how got out ( of our fully fenced yard) and the kids next door found her a block away. I think if the collar is a good fit it should stay on.

Conar doesn't wear a collar, he has one that we use when put him outside, but if he wore it all the time it would wreak havoc with his coat. When we take him for walks we use one of those all in one collar/leashes. My future pup won't wear a collar unless we are walking ( gotta keep that coat in show condition.) I will not allow my dog to wear a collar in its crate either, too easy for it to get hung up on something. I MAY get one of those break away collars for its tags but I'm not sure.

Buck wears his collar all the time. I won't take a chance of something really weird happening and him getting lost without his collar and tags on. It's the only way someone would be able to help him get back to me. I've never seen Buck even come close to having his caught on something.

[quote]One day she removed the collar and saw that there was no fur under the collar, and that it was red, raw and bloody.[/quote]

This most likely happened because the collar was too tight, not because the dog was wearing it all the time.

I would probably reconsider the collar thing if I had another dog because I think it's much more likely for something to happen when two dogs are together with collars.

I leave Jackie's and Maya's collars all the time, except for when they come in after their last outside time of the night. Then I take them both off. They're both microchipped, but I always thought that if something happened to the house and someone had to get them out (fire, tornado, whatever), if they didn't have their collars on, it would be easy to lose them.

I'll probably do with Buddy what I did with Puppyput the collar on in the morning and take it off at night (we say "time to put on your pajamas!" when we take off the collar :) )

If he was going to be home alone for hours, or if he were more michevious as far as jumping up on things, etc. I may reconsider. I do plan on getting him microchipped.

Guest Anonymous

my dogs ALWASY have theri collars on, when we are not home with them they are kenneled ( yes i gave in and kennel Cody now too ) and they always have it on just in case they were to run away or get out of the yard for some reason espcially cody as his says "I AM A DEAF DOG"
I will be getting th em miccrochipped at their next dr's appointment.

my dogs collars are always on. They get upset if you take them off. Freebee whines....

they are web collars and not leather, and have plastic attachments. they could easily be broken off if caught, but there is nothing in my house to get caught on, and nothing in the yard. when we go out for walks, they are on harnesses. their collars hold their tags (required here. rabies tags have to be in evidence on the collar if the dog gets out) and are imprinted with their names and phone number. My cell, so they can reach me anywhere.