Dogomania

Just wanted to share

abker17

Today I went to volunteer at the shelter for the first time in awhile. It was great, I got to take out a chocolate colored femal pit bull named Mea. She was an excellent example of the breed (although they had her labled as a pit lab mix, there's no way there was a spec of lab in that girl, she was all pit) She had a HUGE tounge to go along with that pittie smile, she really was a trip I spent most of my time at the shelter running around with her. :lol: I REALLY hope she gets adopted, I'm going back on Saturday hopefully and I'll try to get some pics if she's still there.
I also took out two little hound mix pups. It's been awhile since I've played with a puppy to be honest, I forgot how much fun they are. :lol: They were the cutest little things, and I even got to name them. Rowie (Yes, after our Rowie-the-pooh's Rowie, I love that name. :P ) and Choo.
Then I took out a beagle mix with a family that was looking to adopt. (Adopters have to have a volunteer with them when they take out a dog) And although he put some nice size scratches down my arm while I was getting him out of the kennel, I have to say it's definatly worth it. The family didn't adopt him right then, they wanted some time to think it over but I'm hoping they'll be back to get him.
Despite having a lot of fun playing with the dogs, it was sad because the shelter was so packed. Mostly with hound mix puppies, and all about the same age. :-? They only had one open kennel. Luckily they're building a new SPCA funded by donations and the city, which will have twice as many kennels. I think it should be done by next autumn. That will probably cut in half the number of dogs that have to be put down. :)
Also in the hour I was there, 1 dog got adopted (A beautiful merle Aussie) and a kitty. So they seem to be doing pretty well....
Anyways thanks for letting me spill all my happiness all over you guys. :lol:

Sounds like you had fun.

I had a blast when I volenteered at our humane society.
I wanted to work there so bad, but if i were to work there I know that i would have to eventually put animals down.
And I just would not be able to do that. :(

But I is a great thing to volenteer.
And you did a great thing. :D