Dogomania

pitbulls

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I see someone wrote that pitbulls are not good with other dogs. not all true i have a 4 yr old mayfield pitbull. He loves other dogs even cats he kisses them all over and he never is aggressive with other dogs. He like's friends. He has never been fixed and he acts like a person. Loves pizza fish. Very good with my 3 boys they where him out when they play with him and a rope. I wish everyone would get it that its all about babying the breed. Never buy one off someone u don't know. Meet the pups mom and dad judge there behavior if they are aggressive then the pup will be. Watch out for inbreeded pits they will turn. if anyone has qustions i have 1 pitbull and an American bull dog (over sized pitbull). u can email me at [email][email protected][/email]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JULIE29']I see someone wrote that pitbulls are not good with other dogs. not all true i have a 4 yr old mayfield pitbull. He loves other dogs even cats he kisses them all over and he never is aggressive with other dogs. He like's friends. He has never been fixed and he acts like a person. Loves pizza fish. Very good with my 3 boys they where him out when they play with him and a rope. I wish everyone would get it that its all about babying the breed. Never buy one off someone u don't know. Meet the pups mom and dad judge there behavior if they are aggressive then the pup will be. Watch out for inbreeded pits they will turn. if anyone has qustions i have 1 pitbull and an American bull dog (over sized pitbull). u can email me at [email][email protected][/email][/quote]

Some pit bulls are good with other dogs, many are not, regardless of how they're brought up. Because of the damage a pit bull can do if it gets into a fight and the owners are not prepared to handle it, it's best to assume that most WILL become aggerssive to other dogs at some point as they mature, and be ready to handle it if they do. Centuries of selective breeding have created a breed that tends to be aggressive towards other dogs and large animals, and that is adept at fighting. A pit bull may never get into a fight with another dog, but if it does, it will likely cause a lot of damage unless it's broken up quickly, and that type of damage is exactly what the breed doesn't need right now. It doesn't matter if a dog has been fixed or is babied, if it's in their genetics to be dog aggressive, they will be, the best you can do is manage it. Meeting the parents of a dog also will not help if the dog's temperament is that of its grandparents, and since many good breeders use outside studs to breed to, you may be missing out on a lot of great dogs if you insist on seeing both parents. Inbreeding has nothing to do with how a dog's temperament will be, there are tons of inbred dogs with great temperaments, as well as scatterbred dogs with poor temperaments, the key being that if you breed dogs with crappy temperaments, or from a line known for dogs of crappy temperaments, that's probably what you're going to get, no matter how the dogs are related (or not). And American Bulldogs aren't oversized pit bulls, they are a completely different breed with a different temperament and build, I'm sure most American Bulldog owners would agree as well.

most all purebread pits are inbreed at one poing or another. what do you think a 'line" is. the mayfield line is all one family that breed together. its called line breeding and most all advanced breeders line breed.

if done the right way its very good. if its not you get genitic defects. such as week immune systems which causes mange. when you see apbt with mange its cause they have a week immune system most likely cause from poor line breeding in its past.

its great that you have an apbt that is good with other dogs.

but in general never trust an apbt not to fight.

i have an apbt that was as you described yours. i got carless in how i watched him around other dogs. next thing i know my cousins 90lb american bull dog has holes in his face.

just dont get carless and turst them around other dogs to much. its scarry and embarassing.

i alwasy watch my boy like a hawk ready to jump on him if he should ever freak out again. its been a year and he has never even had a spat with another dog.

just dont get carless like i did. keep a close eye on him.

Guest Anonymous

There are many of us here that are APBT owners and lovers. and i dont think a single one of us would say that "its all in how you raise them." your dog is an exception to a general rule... pit bulls will fight... and win. I have a male that is very friendly to everything..dogs and people.. never the slightest incident of aggression. but i am still extremely wary of him meeting new dogs.. or even dogs he does knows not because i think he will start anything, but if the other dog tries to dominate him or pick a fight a pit bull will not back down. its been bred into them for countless generations to win. and even the best raised dog will have those instincts. its just part of who they are. it doesnt make them a bad breed, or a worse dog. just means you have to be ready to deal with that IF that situation were to ever arise. i still love my bullies anyway.

Guest Anonymous

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]There are many of us here that are APBT owners and lovers. and i dont think a single one of us would say that "its all in how you raise them." your dog is an exception to a general rule... pit bulls will fight... and win. I have a male that is very friendly to everything..dogs and people.. never the slightest incident of aggression. but i am still extremely wary of him meeting new dogs.. or even dogs he does knows not because i think he will start anything, but if the other dog tries to dominate him or pick a fight a pit bull will not back down. its been bred into them for countless generations to win. and even the best raised dog will have those instincts. its just part of who they are. it doesnt make them a bad breed, or a worse dog. just means you have to be ready to deal with that IF that situation were to ever arise. i still love my bullies anyway.[/quote]ya u are write but i am just sick of the stuff people say about them i have had 10 pits in the past 8 yrs the where murdered people here in my state hate them. All of mine but one was good with other dogs even as a adult dog. wimp the 1 he was inbreeded he was crazy. He was stollen to fight. he lost and died. pits due never forget what has been done to them. thats in the breed but the day i have to be affared of my own dog well then whats the point in haveing one. they put there trust in u. So i trust them. Juve is 4 yrs if he was going to get his back bone he would of bye now. amercan bull dog is a pit accourding to our dog catcher. Sorry about the spelling.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']I am having problems with this....you say have had (past tense) 10 dogs in the last 8 years...what on earth happened to them all? you stated that one at least was stolen to be fought and you [i]know[/i] that he lost and died...how did you find this out???were the police involved?..did they return the body to you after a bust or did you have to identify your dogs remains in any way?...did they arrest or charge the persons responsible for allegedly using him in a fight? if so what was the punishment...and were you involved in the prosecution in any way?...if yes do you fear any repercussions?...since you have stated that several of the people in your vicinty have been murdered (I assume you mean the families of the dead hate the dogs).....why would you continue to have more and more dogs that you can not provide adequate security for?

and what do you mean specifically by "get his backbone"?...are you in fact waiting for your dog to turn on....if so why on earth would you want that?...

Finally the dog catcher can NOT determine the parentage of a dog...your pedigree papers can prove that! ...assuming you have any that is...[/quote]

no they where my dogs. They where poisened. buy i don't know. i know now to never leave my juvie out side alone. no i am not waiting on him to turn the vet told me that. I know wimp was fought couse a friend who breed some dogs told me all about it. But no police where in it. Couse i live in a big city and if i report that u can imagen what would happen to me. I have young kids. ya i do provide security for them now did then to. atifreeze is not hard to put over a privet fince.

Guest Anonymous

I mean bye a person who breeds the dogs. He attions fight's to get pups off the owners to keep for him self . and most likely to save them. and paper's yes i do have on this one. He is the greatest dog i ever had. Not just couse he is a pit but he is my best friend. He acts human plays with his paws like there hands. maybe i got lucky with him the most. I saved him from being put down the 1st owner my brother inlaw did not want him couse he was friendly. Maybe he thanks me for saveing him. Not shure but he is a peacefull dog. i like to post a pic but i don't know how.

Guest Anonymous

julie dont worry about the spelling :D
one thing that you should know as far as your dog "getting his back bone" what do you mean? for him to be outwardly aggressive to other dogs, or for for hi mto defend himself if a threat arose. just becaus your dog doesnt start fights doesnt mean he wont fight. Drey would never start a fight, but if another dog was trying to dominate him i assume he would retaliate, i do what i can to keep those situations from ever happening. noone is afraid of thier dogs either, i know what i have on the end of my leash, i plan and prepare for the worst possible outcome of every interaction, i have always been pleasently surprised at my dogs .

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']A privet fence will not hold a Pit..and should not be used to..nor will it protect your kids...you need a 6 foot fence concreted in at the bottom with locks on your gate...and you allowed dog after dog to be poisoned and kept getting more even though you must of known it would happen again if people in your neighbourhood hate these dogs so much...why would you suffer that...why would you allow your kids to suffer these losses?...what about secure, high fencing? and/or security cameras?...even a simple camcorder with a wide view could of caught someone committing this deliberate act of violence against you and your dogs...it semms to me you are slightly simple if you keep getting dog after dog and submitting them to the dangers of your neighbourhood.. poisoning and thieves and known dog fighters....If I were you I would of moved my kids and dogs away from there before now....[/quote]

i did move. i do have a 6 foot privet fince no chain. i have had juve for 2 yrs now no harm has been took to him or even attempted. Cam's cost money well i have just to get bye and take care of vets and kids. Known dog fighters no he don't fight his he saves them. I think u miss understanding me. i just wanted to clear up about not leting pit around other dogs. All dogs need be around others. As for my lost well ya it has upsettted me even said i would never get another dog. But i love the breed. Can't help it. I was not going to keep juve i was going to give him to someone else. But he was just so cute i had to say yes.

Guest Anonymous

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]julie dont worry about the spelling :D
one thing that you should know as far as your dog "getting his back bone" what do you mean? for him to be outwardly aggressive to other dogs, or for for hi mto defend himself if a threat arose. just becaus your dog doesnt start fights doesnt mean he wont fight. Drey would never start a fight, but if another dog was trying to dominate him i assume he would retaliate, i do what i can to keep those situations from ever happening. noone is afraid of thier dogs either, i know what i have on the end of my leash, i plan and prepare for the worst possible outcome of every interaction, i have always been pleasently surprised at my dogs .[/quote]

U do have some good looking dogs would love to see them. But i love the breed all colors mine is a brindle. he has a all wight chest he a little biger then your staff but smaller then your blue. back bone (turn) My dog i gess is a lover not a fighter. Once a year in the summer me and my nebors have a dog party juve loves it we get are dogs on a leash and the interact, juve is allway kissing them even when they graw at him he still kiss them. Now he miss summer you can tell bye the way he acts. He has lots of friends also a cat sometimes they come over and bark for him. but he is inside with me almost all the time. 8 pups was a litter my red nose had. she past from old age 12 yrs i saved her from being abused. she was prego when i got her. the pups being so small got a hold of the atifreeze. I miss them i wish i new what they would of look like. at that time i lived in union county. Moved to Columbus The dog cater here don't need paper work on dogs if they look like a pit then its a pit. u can read all about columbus and pits here and call and ask qustions. My dogs are very well proted now and allways.

Guest Anonymous

Do anyone no how to keep there dogs from smelling. I wash juve once a week. i lives inside but in three day's he smells. anyone know what i can do.

Guest Anonymous

that is too often for a full bath, they cant keep oil in thier coats and it more likely he can get chilled especially in the winter. groom him daily and i have a spray bottle that is water, alittle shampoo and a cap full of bleach, it keep the dogs smelling goo dand the coats very shiney. be very careful with the belach for obvious reasons. pit bulls have a doggy odor about them its just par tof thier charm get some doggy cologne and a good brush and brush him daily with the spray, oyu will note a difference the first day.

Guest Anonymous

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]that is too often for a full bath, they cant keep oil in thier coats and it more likely he can get chilled especially in the winter. groom him daily and i have a spray bottle that is water, alittle shampoo and a cap full of bleach, it keep the dogs smelling goo dand the coats very shiney. be very careful with the belach for obvious reasons. pit bulls have a doggy odor about them its just par tof thier charm get some doggy cologne and a good brush and brush him daily with the spray, oyu will note a difference the first day.[/quote]thank u i will try it

Guest Anonymous

??no one else finds this fishy??
Anyway....
Its great your dog gets along with the other animals BUT, you should always seperate your pit from the others when you are not home. Anyone owning any pit should have the thought that they may be coming home to a dead dog. And it wont be the pit. Just becasue your dog hasnt shown any animal aggression does not mean its not there. It can turn on at any age on any day. I have had dogs that were 5 or 6 before even showing any interest in other dogs. He may never show aggression to the other animals but you should always assume he might.
As for the American Bulldog and American Pit Bull Terreir, they are completely different breeds.
Also, inbreeding is not what makes a dog "crazy" or have a bad temperment. As it was stated by someone else, most APBTs are inbred, and pretty heavily at that.
You said your dog is of the Mayfield line... Who is he out of? His dame and sire?
I mean no offense but... I dont understand why you continue to get pits if the neighbors keep killing them?! Why would you continue to subject dogs to being poisoned? I find this extremely irresponsible. Especially since you have done nothing to try and stop it. I mean, you have lost 10 dogs in 8 years?! Thats more dogs than I have lost in the past 15 years and I keep several at a time!!!

thank you hmm...i thought i was the only one.

on a personal note (not directed at the original poster, just in general):
i cannot explain how tired i am of people, in an attempt to defend apbt's, saying that dog aggressive pit bulls are somehow defective. this just shows a lack of understanding of the breed. even more so, it really irks me when people blame all aggression on bad owners. yes, some dogs will have aggression issues because they have lousy owners. BUT i dare to argue this is not the general rule with pit bulls.

Mydogroxy, I agree.

Having a dog that is dog agressive does not meen you are a bad owner or that the dog has something wrong with it. Some people tend to just freak out at the word aggression regardless of what context it is used in. I tend to say my dog doesn't play nice with others :wink:

Guest Anonymous

mydogroxy
that just shows a lack of breed knowledge, thinking that for some reason there dog is the perfect example of the breed, and can be totally trusted. that how you get into the news paper saying "hes never done that before..."
trust me plan for the worst and let your dog surprise you, its what i have always done and have yet to have an incident as a result. and as always Hmmmm brought up a great point just because he is there yet, doesnt mean he wont be, some dogs never turn on others are born hot. its all in the dog, it has very little to do with you. all you can do as a responsible person is train and socialize and hope.

[quote name='Malamum']Mydogroxy, I agree.

Having a dog that is dog agressive does not meen you are a bad owner or that the dog has something wrong with it. Some people tend to just freak out at the word aggression regardless of what context it is used in. I tend to say my dog doesn't play nice with others :wink:[/quote]

ya got that right...my Lab mix doesnt "play nice" with other dogs unless they are submissive to her...it's not just Pits, unfortunately, they get all the publicity...

:evil:

mal- i think you're right. people do get freaked out when they hear the word aggression. what's sad is people are creating more problems by trying to ignore or change their dogs' natural tendencies.

rott- i really think your statement about preparing for the worst is dead on. roxy is 100% dog aggressive so i do everything to limit her contact with other dogs. no dog parks, no off leash time...i even check to make sure there are no dogs being walked in front of our house before i let her out to go potty (and it's a fenced yard!). again, i think people cause more problems for the breed by trying to prove that their dogs are perfect angels and not taking the proper precautions.

and sorry for the double post...i don't know what happened. :oops: