Dogomania

Miles can't get it up. . .

ferky1

Sorry for the potentially obscene subject line, I couldn't resist.

Our problem actually has to do with Miles' ability (or lack thereof) to get up and down from our bed. Just recently we allowed Miles to sleep with us in our bed and we all really enjoy it. His small size means that we hardly notice he is there, but it also means that he cannot get on or off the bed without help.

Normally when Miles wants to get down, he'll sit at the edge (or one of the sides), pawing, pretending, even preparing to jump, but he never does it because the bed is pretty high up. He has never made a move when we were sleeping. Last night, for the first time since we started allowing him on the bed, he decided to seek a more comfortable sleeping spot elsewhere. He jumped. . . at 3:30am. While he didn't hurt himself (luckily), the sound of an 11 pound ball of fur hitting the carpet at terminal velocity at, did I mention, 3:30am, is something we don't wish to repeat. We are looking for alternate methods to give him the freedom to come and go as he pleases.

The only thing I have found so far is carpeted cat steps from Drs. Foster and Smith. While these look ideal, they are clearly for cats (catnip infused stairs!!!!!). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

LOL i didn't even realize what you wrote until i read your post!! you gave me a heartattack i read " mile can't get up " thinking he was in pain. lol gesh guess i vetter really READ things huh ?

I agree with what everyone said. Two little steps would probabaly do the trick. You could make it yourself out of ply wood and a few scraps of plush carpet. But....if you don't want to spend the time or energy on that they have these hard foam ramps that I have seen. They are specifically made for small dogs or dogs who can't jump due to medical problems. They are in 2 or 3 sections and you can form them to the left or right depending on where you want it to be. I'll try to find a pic of it but I know they have it in the DRs. Foster and Smith dog Catolog.

I don't know if he'd actually be hurt by jumping up and down. Gypsy seems fine, and the only reason I let her jump is because I can't get her to use stairs, ramps, or other leverage devices. She does wake me up at night so that I'll lift her down to get a drink. She can usually get on the bed alright, but if she thinks she can't make it, she lets me know. You could try teaching him to "stay" and then practive several times a day having him stay before getting on and off the bed, the idea being that he is not allowed to leave a peice of furniture until you lift him down or up--I think he'll happily adjust. I have tried this with Gypsy, to some success, with the shortcomings being because I forget we are in the middle of restructuring her behavior.

I've seen ads in Dog Fancy for little steps for small dogs. I wouldn't allow him to jump up and down too much -- that's a LONG ways for a little dog! It can injure them over time...Macy's knees were fine when she was younger, but now she has a slight luxation in one, and we think it's because she's always jumping up on things.

Guest Anonymous

Forever while reading this I was SO puzzeled, thinking 'HOW SMALL IS THIS DOG?! :o " but then I realized, NOMRAL people don't NEED beds only a foot off the floor... You see, I'm extremly accident prone, believe it or not, I fall off my bed more when I'm awake then asleep. I dislocated my knee once from it too, and I have a really messy room, so the falls usually hurt a lot, so I need to have a short bed :lol:
ANYWAY!
What everone suggested is great! I like Courts step later idea, and a couple mentioned the audomin (sp?)... and I've seen tones or ramps and stairs for little, or dogs with hip problems and stuff, or older dogs (ect. ect.) advertised in quite a few magz.
I don't think the cat steps would hurt... unless you have a cat! :lol: I'm pretty sure, although haven't ever tried, that dogs don't react the same was as cats to cat nip, and it's doesn't smell to us that much, and so they shouldn't be too bad to use...