Dogomania

What brand of dry food to give

Guest Anonymous

i dont know if i buy or not proplan anymore,b well its cheaper so i might.. but definately will be buying royal,last time i also bought a bag of hills as it was in promotion will see if she likes it.
i don't find proplan stinky well not if its dry :) actualy royal smells more to me ..but it probobly depends on the variety..i use puppy large breed proplan and junior maxi from royal

proplan is economically better at younger stages than royal (u feed less of it) but i wouldnt feed very young dogs with it (its not too rich) but the measure for above 6-7 months is the same with both
15kg lasts me a month :D i usually spend 50-100 dolalrs on dog shopping a month (but guess here its mroe expensive than in us)

[quote] i usually spend 50-100 dolalrs on dog shopping a month ([b]but guess here its mroe expensive than in us[/b])[/quote]

I guess so, I feed Canidae and have two dogs, totalling around 100lbs and spend around $50/month on kibble if that is all I feed. (BTW I am in Canada and that is Canadian $)

their poor ingredient quality completely aside, considering the fact that pro plan dry food products only contain between 13% and 22% "real" meat and the rest are grains, fillers and various rendered materials, i find them rather overpriced.

• 7 months later...

We have only had Buddy 3 weeks ... he went fom unlimited Ol Roy to limited Innova plus very limited lean treats. He is 46 pounds but only 19 inches tall. We and vet think needs to lose between 5-10 pounds and I think we are getting there just with the high quality food plus increased activity.

The best improvement we see is his stools - when we first got him they were very soft to runny and 4-5 large BMs a day. I think he was eating so much of that Ol Roy out of boredom / seeking nourishment ? and he was chained in a yard pretty much 24/7. But they have been steadily improving and now he usually has 2 really firm good poops a day.

I thought the innova was going to be a bit of cost burden but he only needs so much of it to be satisfied! As our vet suggested, 3/4 cup per day 2x a day. That seems like a really good amount for him. At this rate it will take over a month to go through a bag.

I was thinking of the paralell with my own eating and weight loss goals. Buddy loves his food but is satisfied with so little of it, because I think, it is so high quality and nutrient dense. The same principle as us eating beans, whole grain, nutritious veggies, high quality protein ... I need to do for myself what I'm doing for him!

[quote name='desertlady'] The same principle as us eating beans, whole grain, nutritious veggies, high quality protein ... I need to do for myself what I'm doing for him![/quote]

I hear ya sister :wink:

I'm a health freak when it comes to what my dogs ingest (cripes, they even get bottled water) but I don't even read labels when it comes to what I eat :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

LOL exactly.. I pick to pieces what my dogs eat, I supplement, and I make sure that everything is just so, yet I live on pop-tarts and energy drinks. :lol:
But, my dogs do wonderfully on their raw diet. On the occasion that I don't want to feed raw (which is rare) they get Innova.. Which they hate. They hang their heads when they see me digging into the dog food bag. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...