Dogomania

Are 2 dogs better than 1?

In most cases, the dogs like it better that way since they're pack animals.
But it depends on your dog. Is it aggressive, dominant, or gentle and tolerant? Does it go ballistic when it sees other dogs outside, or wags its tail and looks like it wants to play?

If the former, you would be better off with a puppy. Most dogs can handle a puppy, they have an instinct that tells them not to hurt it. Your best
bet is to see how your dog reacts around other dogs, and then decide.

:D

p.s. my girl is a "bitch" (no pun intended) and I had to search far and wide to find a dog she is compatible with....

First off, NO it soes NOT always work out. Even if the second dog is a young puppy when you get it. And not ALL dogs won't hurt or kill a puppy. (And I am NOT talking about Pits here either.)

While dogs are "supposed" to be "pack animals" there are quite a few breeds that do NOT do well in multiple dog households.

I would love to get a second dog but I think that anyone who takes that on has to be prepared for the possibility that the dogs may have to be seperated when not supervised.

Our home/back yard is not set up for that and I don't crate since I feel that I am gone for too long, so for the time being Indy will have to be an only child.

[quote name='Malamum']I would love to get a second dog but I think that anyone who takes that on has to be prepared for the possibility that the dogs may have to be seperated when not supervised.

[/quote]

Good point. Also keep in mind that IMO a small puppy should NEVER be left alone with an older dog or pup. It only takes an instant for things to end badly. And like I said before, there are a LOT of dogs that won't hesitate to hurt or kill a puppy let alone the possibility of the puppy being injured accidently.

[b] have never had 2 at the same time. [/b]

In my opinion, you're missing out!

[b]Is it better ? Are the dogs happier?[/b]

well...it depends on YOU and your DOG, and the NEW DOG. it's only better if you don't mind a little extra work--extra brushing, extra feeding, maybe extra walking. and of course, extra cost. but in general, dogs like other dogs to be around--they are pack animals. But even the sweetest, most accepting dogs are "selfish" my adoring (and adored) labrador mix, Sandy, would be a-okay if she ended up the only dog...I dont' think she cares where the others go so long as she's the only one around!

[b]Does it always work out?[/b]

sadly, no. sometimes, it's the worst thing you could do...but I think that's rare.

[b]I have been thinking about adding a second but at times I get a little worried that there could be lots of jealousy. So as a rule what do you think?[/b]

there could be jealousy...and there could be laughter and lots of love. as a rule...geez, I'm up to six and researching numbers seven and eight!! I have a loooong way to go before I'm ever down to two again, and I'll never have JUST ONE. no way...it's an addiction.

Bentley is a 2 year old 7 pound maltese and is very spoiled. I have wanted a second dog for over a year now and have been in contact with 2 yorkie breeders for about 10 months now. I have been waiting for a "pet quality" female. One of the breeders emailed me that she has a darling 12 week old female with a slight underbite and she will not be kept for show. I'm excited but when it gets down to it I'm worried that Bentley could be jealous and miserable with a new dog added to the house. On the other side I think it would be wonderful for him to have a companion while I work. Also thinking that a playmate would help keep him happy and healthy. I would certainly crate the new pup as I did Bentley those first few month. Just have second thought jitters. Just never had 2 at the same time.

[quote]have never had 2 at the same time.

In my opinion, you're missing out! [/quote]

In a way I do feel like I am missing out and I also feel like Indy is missing out on something too.......but what if I get a second dog and they do need to be separated. I would be stuffed... the second dog would need to go back and I just don't think I could handle that.

So unless we move and get a different back yard that could be set-up suitably or we are in a position that I can cut back my working hours and be home more it's just the one pup for us.

Bentleythewonderdog, I may be wrong (and I'm sure I will be corrected if I am) but I think in your situation you will be ok. From what I have seen small dogs seem to be able to live a bit more harmoniously together than some of the larger breeds.