Dogomania

Member input required please

imported_Kat

Ok I know that I haven't been here even a day yet and most newbies keep their heads down, but one of my characteristics is that I'm very forward, which I consider good but not everyone would be in agreement there! I admit I found your group this morning while looking on the internet for research material but found an excellent group instead.

I am currently in my final year of a BSc. Zoology honours degree at Queens University Belfast, and my main interest is Canine and Lupine behaviour. For my final year project, I am conducting research into different personality traits in a variety of KC registered dog breeds.

I just ask a few moments of your time. Below there are personality traits that are possible to test in dogs and certainly if anyone can think of any others then don't be afraid to speak up.

What I ask of you as dog owners is:

[b]What do you consider are the most important personality traits when selecting a dog? Only list 3 traits please from the list below and remember this is not for a specific breed but for any breed in general. [/b]

for example: the aggressiveness trait does NOT mean you would choose an aggressive dog. It means [i]should [/i]you consider aggressiveness when selecting a dog.

Answer honestly and please don't copy what other people have said. I want individual opinions.
Here are the choices (not in any particular testing order), and thank you kindly for your time

[u][b]The choices:[/u]

1. Sociability with other dogs/humans (in a general interaction)

2. Acceptance to disruption of dogs own social status either by human or other canine (dominance/submissiveness)

3. Willingness to please/work for human

4. Aggressiveness with food/human

5. Playfulness

6. Stamina when faced with a problem solving task

7. Hunting/prey drive

8. Reaction to startling stimuli (e.g gunshot or other very loud noise that dog is not accustomed with)[/b]

Hmmm...of concern to me when chosing a dog would be:

1. Agressiveness with food/human (would be on the lookout for this trait; would not adopt a dog having it).
2. Reaction to startling stimuli (calm and easy-going is what I like)
3. Sociability with other dogs/humans (always need a friendly dog since he will have to share his space with others in the house)

These are the three traits of most concern to me. I have dogs who are companions, not workers - even though they get plenty of outside time with us they do not have a job except to hang out with us 24/7.

OK, being me, I'm going to elaborate. I know you want only three response, but these categories cover different types of dogs, so here goes:

For a companion/Pet:

1. Sociability with other dogs/humans
2. Acceptance to disruption of dogs own social status
3. Playfullness

For Guard dog (police or military, NOT the everyday Joe)

1. Acceptance to disruption of dogs own social status
2. Willingness to play/work for human
3. Aggressiveness with food/human

For Hunting Dogs

1. Stamina when faced with a problem solving task
2. Hunting/Prey drive
3. Reaction to startling stimuli

A lot of these traits bleed into each other, but you only wanted three.

I firmly believe that ALL dogs should accept, and in fact be trained,
for 'Acceptance to disruption of dogs own social status". I believe
in training by pack rules, since those are the only rules the dog really
understands.

Hope this helps, and not confuses....

:D

LOL, my friend is named Katie and she is also VERY foward!!! Maybe it is a name thing :lol:

I go the same as Aonir - not copying but they are just the traits I like in dogs. I think the rest can be dealt with, but friendliness, willingness to please and playfulness are all inborn traits that make dog owning fun! :D

6. Stamina when faced with a problem solving task

1 I demand that they do not attack, lunge, nip, ect. at other dogs/people. They can have thier dislikes and growl...but anymore than that other than self-defence.
3. I like dogs who are willing to try new things, willing to learn.
6. Once they learn it, They will have to preform it...

Im a kaite.

I would defiantly go for :

2. Acceptance to disruption of dogs own social status either by human or other canine (dominance/submissiveness)

Those are very important to me and my family.
And very important for my dog. :D