Dogomania

Lab doesn't like water?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all.

I found a stray dog about 3 months ago. He is very well-mannered, and has obviously been trained. He is a black lab, and he is about 3-4 years old (estimated by Vet).

The strange thing is that he is extremely shy when it comes to water. He is very hesitant to get in the bathtub for a bath, but he is very calm after the bath process starts.

I had never heard of a lab that had a water phobia.

Any input on how I should treat this/understand this?

Ryan

Guest Anonymous

I have heard of that. :-) I would just not make a big deal of it and praise him when he is a good boy while getting a bath. You can also try feeding him his favorite yummy treats or playing with him with a fave toy while in the water, that might help him to associate it with something fun.

Try 4 Newfoundland dogs which hate the water! and a Rottweiler that loves it.
Working in a grooming shop when it comes to bath time most dogs are not a real big fan...most put up with it and a few really fight it...this includes Lab's, Golden Retrievers etc. None of these dogs have ever had a bad experience, its just some thing they don't like. I try to make it as enjoyable as possible by giving a nice massage when I have the soap all lathered up, I talk to them the whole time. I always ensure when I rinse them it is not a hose which makes any noise (we use soundless shower handles) and when I bring the water up I try not to spray it at them instead I bring it up in front of the dogs face running so he/she can see what it is, then I lower it and gently bring it up from their chest...always slowly...every thing is done slowly and I don't let myself tense up I just relax myself so my body language will reflect the right kind of mood onto the dog...this works for me.

We had a lab cross who would slink off and the mere hint of a bath and tremble while being bathed BUT let her near any stinking slime pond and she was in up to her snout in no time.
Zaphod - another lab cross, while tolerate his bath but splashes merrily around in the lake (after his initial hesitance) he has only swam breifly so far but then we have only got to the lake once with Zaphod this year - :x

If she was a stray, possibly something bad associated with water happened to her. A lot of dogs like water and lakes, but cant stand rain.

Alot of dogs just cant stand baths - mine is one - but give her a pool and she's in it in a heartbeat....

The previous advice about praising her when she's in the water and giving her treats may get her over it.

:D

My lab, Daisy doesn't like a bath or going in the pool, but will wade in the creek and fetch a stick. We brought her into our pool, and she couldn't reach the bottom and that is what did it for her. She was really frightened. She will only sit on the deck at the pool now, but will [b]not [/b]get in.

Try coaxing a Newfoundland dog into the bath tub and then having them lay down while in the tub while your trying to lather (my male weighs about 150 lbs)....and these dogs are bathed weekly for shows! :lol:

Just because you have a water dog, this does not ensure the dog is going to have a love for water.
My current Newfoundland dogs hate the water, and they have never had a bad experience in the water....I think they are just too proper to get that big coat of theirs wet! :lol:
The Newf's will sit on the shore and watch my Rottweiler swim and play. They would not go near a small puddle if they can possibly avoid it. I have had Newfoundlands in the past which loved the water and once in.... it was hard to coax them out....so I don't know which I perfer....my previous Newf's the breeder used to use them for water rescue seminars.