Dogomania

What breed to get?

ayb2101

Hi, we have decided to get a dog, but I'm not sure what breed would be best.

We used to have 2 very intelligent golden retreiver/border collie mixes(which we raised from puppies), but we had to give them to someone else when we moved here to Maryland several years ago(the apartments didn't allow dogs :cry: ).

We now live in a reasonably large house with a fenced yard. The fence needs some work in places.

I'm a senior in high school, so we will have to leave the dog in a kennel for about 4-6 hours a day while I'm gone. However, I will have a lot of free time after school.

We are considering some different breeds, primarily an Akita, or maybe a Newfie or a St. Bernard. We will rescue one, instead of getting a puppy.

So far, an Akita sounds like the best choice, although they can have some problems like agression, digging, chewing, etc...

This will be an indoor dog. It would be nice if they were also a fairly good watch-dog. As I said, they need to be able to be left alone for a few hours a day while I'm gone.

I've done research about these breeds, but would like to hear what people's advice/experience with them is.

I love the Newfie and the St. Bernard. Not sure about the Atika, I hear they are for experienced owners (if that means anything). What do they judge experience on?

I have always had Golden Retrievers because they are so gentle and loving I will always suggest them.
I have a weimeraner, she is very smart, loving and my little velvet angel. I was told weims were for experience only too but you go with your heart.

I say go with you heart, gut or whatever leads you to decisions. Personally I feel when you pick a dog you pick a soul mate, you pick the only true friend that will be with through anything.

Good luck and everyone here will help, I ask for advise all the time and I am never let down. :D

Newfie's and saints are wonderful dogs but newfie's especially need DAILY grooming to prevent them from getting hotspots. :-?
I know that Akita's are lovely dogs but they can be stubborn and hard to train as they are quite dominant and strong-willed. :-?
Are there any other breeds you may consider ? :wink:

:D

I think it's great that you are asking for opinions on the breeds you are interested in.

I also think it's great you would rather rescue than adopt a puppy.

I am not familiar with any of the breeds you mentioned in your original post, if Akita is your primary choice then I would suggest you contact the Breed Clubs Rescue Coordinator and set up a meeting to discuss whether or not your family and it's schedule is compatible with the breed. If it is then great you can apply for a rescue, if not then you know to eliminate that choice and move on to the next one.

Good luck and my hat's off to you for opting for rescue.

:angel:

There are some good quizzes out there to help you select the right breed for you:

[url]http://www.ivillage.com/pets/tools/breedselector/questions/dog/size[/url]

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm[/url]

Do you have other pets? Do you have very young siblings? How much energy and time do you have for exercising your dog? Also, you'll want to take into account what your parents want, as I assume you'll be going to college or moving out in the next few years.

There are a lot of good tools to help you on the internet - type into a browser - dog breed selector OR chooser. You may want to talk to breeders or rescue groups of the breeds your interested in too.
GSDs are excellent dogs, smart, athletic, loyal, they are however a dominant personality type so you have to be prepared for that, Akitas are the same I think. Nothing some good handling and obedience classes couldn't handle in most cases.
It sounds like you are looking for an intelligent family dog, no concerns about little kids in the house and you would like a dog that might alarm any intruders?
Some breeds you may not have realized suit those requirements:
Collie - Rough and Smooth, Rough Collies and/or Collie crosses often can be found in shelters as like Labs they are a little slow to mature, they also can bark a bit more than other breeds (watchdog trait) and have a lot of energy and work drive.
Standerd Schnauzer - not quite as smart as Collie or GSD
Airdale Terrier - not quite as smart as Collie or GSD

and this will probably surprise you . . .

Standerd Poodle - everyone knows their extemely bright and trainable, some people know they are good hunting/retrieving/water dogs, but they are also superior watch dogs and very good gaurd dogs. Usually difficult to find in shelters though

There are probably lots more too. And don't discount those mixed breeds in the shelters while your there.

Let us know what you decide.

I tried some of those breed searches. I think probably either a GSD or Akita.

A Newfie would be nice, but they drool a bit too much, and we don't know of many places where they could play in the water since they love that.

We're going to the animal shelter tomorrow to look. They had two Akitas, and if they are still there and seem like good dog to get, we might apply to adopt them. The same applies to any GSDs that are there.

The turnover rate there is so high, though, that you basically have to decide on a particular dog and apply for adoption within a day after you went to look.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Standerd Poodle - everyone knows their extemely bright and trainable, some people know they are good hunting/retrieving/water dogs, but they are also superior watch dogs and very good gaurd dogs. Usually difficult to find in shelters though

[/quote]

If I may interject something here, I almost always know of Standards in rescues available for adoption. Just for future reference if anyone is ever interested... 8)

Oh, and everything DP said is correct. Standards are way more than just a pretty face. :)

Perhaps my perception of there being few Standerd Poodles in shelters a regional issue. I live in Ontario Canada and there are 1 1/2 rescues groups, rarely ever one in the shelters. Of course there are few breeders in this area as well so maybe that's it.

[quote]Standards are way more than just a pretty face. [/quote]

True and its such a lovable face too.

Guest Anonymous

What is going to happen when you go to college?? will the dog have to be in a kennel all day long while your folks are at work and your gone away to college???

The time he's in the kennel won't change much. Right now, he'll be in the kennel for the 6 hours I'm at school. I'll be going to community college for a while, so I'll still be at home. My mom will be working part time and doing some work at home, so wherever I go next it won't get any longer.

I might also be able to take him with me. I have no idea yet where I'll be going, so that depends.

I wouldn't recommend an Akita, especailly if you've had golden/bc. Akita's are really different from what you've had, and I know that most rescues prefer adopters to have "previous experience with the breed." Your best bet would be to visit rescues and shelters and ask them for a dog that would best suit your household and lifestyle. I think it all depends on the dog, not necessarily the breed, although breed is a great indicator of how it may be. And you never know with mongrels and mutts and mixes. Good Luck finding one!