Dogomania

dental care

mydogroxy

i've decided to start switching roxy over to the natural balance dog food rolls, from wellness. her teeth have always looked great between eating the dry food and all the chewing that she does. i'm a little worried that eating a softer food will not keep her mouth as clean as is normally has been. so i was wondering what is the best method to keep teeth clean? i don't think that an actual tooth brush and paste would be a great option, since she gets fidgety when you look in her mouth, but i'm still considering it. what about raw bones or greenies??

Mydogroxy, Macy eats the Natural Balance kibble with the rolls mixed in. She loves it!

I've heard that some folks just put the toothpaste on the toothbrush and let their dog gnaw on it (while supervised, of course). With Macy, I usually just use a Q-tip dipped on peroxide; we bought a doggie toothbrush, but her mouth is so little the toothbrush won't fit in it!

The brush is too big for my malt's little mouth too. My vet suggested that I take a piece of old panty hose and wrap it around my finger, put a little dog tooth paste on it and polish their teeth. It does work. I'm trying the Natural balance roll and kibble too. My little one doesn't like the kibble but loves the roll. Can they be fed the roll exclusively?

mydogroxy - I was wondering why you decided to switch from Wellness to Natural Balance. I chose Wellness over Natural Balance (kibble, not rolls) because Wellness is available locally and most other "good" dog foods are not.

We only started the transition to Wellness yesterday and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have tried harder to find Natural Balance, I've heard such good things.

• 2 weeks later...

ferky,
wellness is a great kibble. as soon as i switched roxy over to it (from eukaneuba) i noticed a wonderful change. she's just not crazy about it. i put down the food and she often sniffs it and walks away. if i leave it out she'll eventually eat most of it, but i'd rather not free feed. i'd rather know how much she's eating and when. i'd say if your dog likes the kibble, then stick with it. if not, petco carries natural balance. (by the way, i haven't switcher her over completely yet, since i heard that the rolls are high in sugar, so more research is in order!)

There is no better tooth cleaner than a good raw bone!!! Even kibble is bad for teeth and studies have shown it doesn't do anything for cleaning and can in fact get stuck between teeth and cause periodontal disease.
Especially for those with little dogs, I strongly reccommend recreational bones as small breeds are especially prone to periodontal disease.
As well as cleaning teeth and massaging gums the chewing of bones releases a kind of "natural happy chemical" in the brain to keep dogs not only healthy, but happy as well! :D

I got dental chews for my girls, and their teeth look just great! They look like flat rawhides but with the enzymes in the chews, along with the dogs' natural chewing action, they really clean their teeth!

My girls also play tug of war and chew on big ropes with knots in them, and that also helps to keep their teeth clean.

I just bought a finger toothbrush from PetSmart. It's a rubber thingie that just fits on the end of your finger and has little rubber nubbies that you can put tooth paste on. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll work much better than a toothbrush.