Dogomania

Hardest thing in the world to do.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well last night we took Isabelle and Molly to the Shelter :-(.. We both did some really hard thinking about it, and for the past few weeks it just wasn't fair to them to keep them in the garage, the need a big yard to play in, When we took them for walks every once in a while we'd let them off there leash and Isabelle would just run.. She has such large and strong legs.. Last night was extremely hard and extremely painful. My eyes just filled with water after we dropped them both off :-(.. It was sad.. I think Molly new what was going on but I don't think Isabelle did. The important thing is they went to a "NO KILL" shelter, the last thing I wanted was for them to be put down for any kind..

I think we are going to wait a while before getting another animal.. We'd like to have a fence in so it will be easier on a dog if we ever get one. But I think next time we want to do a full breed.. Yes I know thats expensive but at the same time they are also mor easily adaptable.. No?

Was thinking like a Pug or a boxer.. or something..

Someone tell me I did the right thing last night by taking them to a shelter.. We just didn't have the time that they needed and they need a family who can let them play in a back yard and run around.. I don't know I feel super guilty :-(

I'm sorry that you have had to go through this and it's good that they are in a no kill shelter but it's still very sad :cry:
I'm sorry but I can't believe that you are already considering getting another dog :x
Nothing has changed has it ??
I would leave it a very long time before you consider getting another dog wait at least until the original problems have been eliminated otherwise you will be doing the same thing again and that would be even sadder :cry:

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I'm sorry but I can't believe that you are already considering getting another dog
Nothing has changed has it ??
I would leave it a very long time before you consider getting another dog wait at least until the original problems have been eliminated otherwise you will be doing the same thing again and that would be even sadder [/quote]

If you read in my post I said after we get in a fenced in yard and we get some things established.

Did I say that we plan on having a fence put in the ground over night?? No to get money to build a fence it could take a month to two months heck to even THREE months..

Trust me... It wasn't an easy decision last night.. And it will be even harder to get another dog.. But eventually when things are more stable we will get one..

Sorry don't mean to vent.. But, It was hard to do what I did last night, and because I have dreams for the future.. I don't like being attacked.. :-(

Also I had to have 9 doggy free years before I got Ellie because I was waiting for the time to be right so I know how hard it is to live without a dog when you yearn for one so badly......could you volunteer at the shelter ? It might make you feel better to give something back.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Couldn't you have given them to a friend or something? Or it just wasn't that easy? I understand your pain... [/quote]

Thought about it.. Really considered it, but then thought if they see me again they wouldn't understand why I gave them up, plus none of my other friends have houses, and thats what they really need.. They need some room to play and stuff..

[quote]Again, I'm so sorry, you did the right thing by taking them to a NO KILL shelter... [/quote]

Yeah It was there or the pound, and I didn't want them to be killed, for they didn't do anything wrong.. it was us couldn't provide an adequate life for them.. :-(

[quote]Also I had to have 9 doggy free years before I got Ellie because I was waiting for the time to be right so I know how hard it is to live without a dog when you yearn for one so badly......could you volunteer at the shelter ? It might make you feel better to give something back[/quote]

It will be a while before we get another dog, but I do want another one another time.. Maybe after we get married, and things start to settle down.. We got the house now, now we just need to get the homely sense going on..

Sorry for jumping you like that.. I just tried to do the best thing I knew how to do, and I know its never an easy situation to do.. Ever.. But.. At the same time.. You have to think ahead..

Next time I get a dog.. Im going to do some heavy researching..

[quote name='NVMY03GT'][quote]Couldn't you have given them to a friend or something? Or it just wasn't that easy? I understand your pain... [/quote]

Thought about it.. Really considered it, but then thought if they see me again they wouldn't understand why I gave them up, plus none of my other friends have houses, and thats what they really need.. They need some room to play and stuff..

[quote]Again, I'm so sorry, you did the right thing by taking them to a NO KILL shelter... [/quote]

Yeah It was there or the pound, and I didn't want them to be killed, for they didn't do anything wrong.. it was us couldn't provide an adequate life for them.. :-(

[quote]Also I had to have 9 doggy free years before I got Ellie because I was waiting for the time to be right so I know how hard it is to live without a dog when you yearn for one so badly......could you volunteer at the shelter ? It might make you feel better to give something back[/quote]

It will be a while before we get another dog, but I do want another one another time.. Maybe after we get married, and things start to settle down.. We got the house now, now we just need to get the homely sense going on..

Sorry for jumping you like that.. I just tried to do the best thing I knew how to do, and I know its never an easy situation to do.. Ever.. But.. At the same time.. You have to think ahead..

Next time I get a dog.. Im going to do some heavy researching..[/quote]

Oh, I understand... It's OK, lots of members here have done some really hard things too! It's always hard to give up a loved one...but what you did was for the best. If you ever need any support, we're here for you! :wink:

• 1 month later...

I am sorry...it must have been really hard. :cry:!!
You did do the right thing. They will now be placed in a new home where they can run and play and have room. Well it is good that you are going to wait until you get a fence and have more time. Deep down you know that you did the right thing! Hope you feel better soon!

Ps- I know someone whose dog is in the kennel about 20 hours a day and has no where to run or play. The dog is suffering very bad from this and the owner just does not have the time or heart to take her to the shelter or find a new home. This dog has many behavior and health problems due to this. You did the right thing!!! :lol:

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='NVMY03GT']Well last night we took Isabelle and Molly to the Shelter :-(.. We both did some really hard thinking about it, and for the past few weeks it just wasn't fair to them to keep them in the garage, I don't know I feel super guilty :-([/quote]

Tell yourself whatever makes you feel better. You were advised NOT to get a second dog when you couldn't deal with the first one. And no, the dog's NOT better in a shelter than in a home. And I can't believe you'd even think of getting another dog! That cute little puppy will grow up to be a dog, too. :roll: Get a fish

Oh, I am sooooo sorry...not for [i]you[/i] but for the poor dogs!

Why on earth did you get them to begin with? Many people who don't have fenced yards successfully get and keep dogs. You don't have to have a fenced yard, but you have to be committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure the dog is getting the best possible care. You have to make sure you take the dogs for a long walk at least once a day, rain, shine or snow! Even if you have a fenced yard you still have to take your dog for long walks. Dogs will normally not run around a yard enough on their own to get enough exercise, and the breeds you said you are considering are very energetic and require a lot of exercise to be happy.

It also sounds like you are financially incapable of caring for a dog at this time. And, "no", purebred dogs do not require less than mixed breeds! Dogs are dogs and all require, food, water, exercise, training and love! That takes a lot of time and money!

I am sorry for being blunt, but I have been a volunteer in several breed rescues and have fostered and seen so many dogs come through our rescues that people simply did not want because they took time and $$$$.

Please, please....do not get another dog for many, many years. You have a lot of growing up to do, and unless you are going to commit to giving the dog the exercise etc. it needs, please reconsider getting one at all...ever.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

NVMY03GT posted on another site, stating her (his?) dog was out of control, there was no time to spend with the dog and was untrainable. And would getting another dog help. She was told absolutely NO, another dog would be twice as bad, so she got another one :roll: within a week. Because it was cute.

[quote name='peekaboo']NVMY03GT posted on another site, stating her (his?) dog was out of control, there was no time to spend with the dog and was untrainable. And would getting another dog help. She was told absolutely NO, another dog would be twice as bad, so she got another one :roll: within a week. Because it was cute.[/quote]
Omg....which site?

Ah yes... I thought I recognized the name! That was just around the beginning of this year somewhere that happened...but[b] very well and forcefully fore shadowed[/b].....now that I'm remembering.

These people were told quite bluntly not to get another dog because they couldn't control or train the one they had and even more so that they would find themselves giving these dogs to shelters in the near future. I'm sorry to say I'm not shocked at all. I do feel very sorry for the dogs.

No use in looking for the thread[b][u]s[/u][/b] we are speaking of because they no longer exsist. I remember at least two of the threads blaitently against these people getting the second dog was eventually deleted. It was a couple pages long. I think one of the threads re-surfaced not too long ago actually and was terminated, because (same problem) they couldn't get the thread to go away if I remember right.

Oh yeah... just a small push towards your "research"...Pugs and Boxers both are very energetic dogs and require a lot of exercise. This includes daily walks unless you want them to be destructive.

I have also found in research that just because a shelter states it is a "no kill" shelter doesn't necissarily always mean they don't euthanize dogs that come in. In fact I've found forums and read news articles disputing this very problem.

[url]http://animalark.eapps.com/animal/ArkArticles.nsf/0/8f0fb68a23413aae86256dcb00511ab6?OpenDocument[/url]

[quote] [/quote]"No-kill does not mean that no animal is ever put to sleep," Foote said. "Humane euthanasia is an important part of caring for animals. If an animal is terminally ill and suffering, we have an obligation to end that suffering. That is what 'euthanasia' means. Euthanasia is very different than killing animals for human convenience, which is what many 'open admission' shelters do for people. In my experience, a no-kill shelter will typically put to sleep fewer than 1 percent [i](other articles have said up to 35-40%)[/i] of the total animals admitted. And these animals will only be put to sleep because they have serious medical conditions that can not be treated or corrected or because they are a real danger to people."

[b]Many open admission shelters insist they rarely, if ever, euthanize adoptable pets. While that may be true there is often disagreement about what "adoptable" really means. Animals that are fearful, or that have minor medical or behavioral problems may be classified as unadoptable and euthanized. Many shelters, for example, will euthanize any cat that has been reported to have urinated outside of its litter box, even though most cats with inappropriate urination behaviors can be retrained. Many also euthanize animals with minor medical problems, like ringworm or mange, or minor behavioral problems like barking in their kennels. Because of this, open admission shelters in the Twin Cities typically kill between one out of every three and one out of every two animals brought to them. Since disclosing this could prove to be a public relations nightmare, many of them publish only the percent of "adoptable" animals placed, thereby letting them present sanitized statistics to their donors[/b]

Hi all

A sad tale however NVMY03GT won't be back, he/she didn't get the full sympathy they wanted they needed everyone to tell them they had done the right thing. Unfortunately a number of posters offered sympathy when it was the the dogs not NVMY03GT that needed it.

The right thing was to have not got a dog in the first place and to further compound the situation by getting a second one when all advice pointed against, it was just plain stupid.

And they say dogs are dumb animals?

• 2 weeks later...

That's just sickening. Having a fenched yard is wonderful, yes...but not absolutely manditory. If she couldn't deal with no-yard, then at least getting a small breed would have been wise! But two?! From the time Cole was 2mo-6mo, we lived in an apartment. I walked him as much as possible, all that Lab energy and whatnot, and I felt awful that he couldn't just run! We deliberately took him with us to visit friends and family with big yards (actually, Cole goes everywhere with us. Quite the road warrior, LOL. The day we brought him home, we had to drive 15hours =/ He's exceptionally good in the car, tho!)

I feel so bad for those two dogs! Maybe, hopefully..someone will adopt them who will be good to them!