Dogomania

What do you feed your dog?

StarFox

I'm going to buy some new food for Zebra this weekend so I was wondering what everyone gave there dog. I want a food that dosn't test on animals, I know there is a post about this but I would like to know what you feed your dog. Soo...

What do you feed your dog? Why?
Has it impoved your dogs health?
Are there any cons about the food?

Thanks for you input! :P

I just switched Tessa back to BARF, after feeding her an expensive dry food for a while and she began to become a little dull in the coat. She doesn't eat much so its easy to prepare. She's already starting to glow again and has brighter eyes than when she was on the commercial food.
The majority of Lilys diet is a combination of chicken necks, lamb off cuts, a variety of veggies, egg, yoghurt and some form of offal. She also gets a bit of dry food (Pedigree Principal) of an afternoon. The reason she's not on an entirely BARF diet is because she eats too much and it wont all fit in the freezer!!! Also, it takes forever for me to pulp the veggies - so I guess thats the only con. Aside from that I wont be changing because she'd have to be one of the healthiest dogs in town! :angel: So yes, it has improved her health. Since I got her as a pup she always had stomach problems and had diahreah, I started adding all the veggies and raw meat to her diet and the problem has been eliminated. She has white teeth, fresh breath, a super shiney coat and a good level of energy. :wink:

[color=darkred]Hi Starfox.

I feed my dogs on Hero Complete now, that I buy from my local Supermarket. After trying them on various brands from the Pet Shop and having a Bullmastiff with a skin allergy, I found that this is most suitable for him!
His skin and coat are very healthy with bright eyes and they love it.
Occasionally I mix in some fruit and veg [/color]:D

I had been feeding Wellness Chicken for a while. It is a great food. Just switched for a little variety. Now they eat Solid Gold Mmellinia. They really like it. I prefer to feed super premium all natural foods b/c I know what goes in the other foods and it disgusts me. They also get a variety of additional things from veggies to yogurt, cottage cheese, spots stew, applesauce etc etc

I guess the only draw backs I can find to these foods is they are initially more expensive but it does last alot longer because they eat less. So over time I think you spend about the same. Also, I found with the Wellness that it spoiled within less than a month. This is because of the lack of chemical preservatives. So if you are the kind that likes to buy a big bag and have it last a while, I wouldn't go with Wellness.

I think both foods have improved the health of my dogs. The best case is the 13 yo sheltie. He went from 65 lbs (I know way to big) to 42 lbs in just a few months on the Wellness. He is oversized so he is pretty close to his normal weight so I have got him on more of a maintenance plan right now. My other dogs are less than 16 mo so I am not sure I can tell and improvement but they are very heathly overall.

Wellness Lamb. I was feeding Canidae, but he liked it so much he was eating it when it came out the other end. Blech. He has a beautiful coat and is actually a deeper red now then he was before. I also supplement sardines and yogurt and occasionally some canned pumpkin. He also gets a Greenie everyday which keeps his teeth clean - they do work like they claim to.

I was feeding Sky Autarky food, as it's gluten free (she has a gluten allergy) and full of herbs and other goodies - and she was doing really well on it, shiny coat, nice build etc. Thing is we dont have a car and now we've moved, we have to go across town to the shop where we used to buy it, and pay for a taxi back, so we changed her to a food we can get on home delivery - Davies Ranger Lamb and Rice. Seems ok so far but she's only been on it two weeks.
The Autarky was fab though, would recommend it to anyone in the UK (dont know if you can get it in the US). Best bit about it, other than her condition improving, was the price.

[color=darkred]Lisa I haven't heard of the Sky Autarky brand ?

Feeding my dogs on Hero Complete, I can get a 15kg for 12.99, if I didn't think it was suited to them I would change for a brand that was!!
My Bullmastiff as an allergy to dairy and wheat, which Hero is free of. [/color]

Please don't start talking about the price of your dog food in the US or the UK or you will make me cry :cry: . A 15kg bag of Innova costs me $150.00 :o and the Euk was $100.00. I'd rather pay the extra $50.00 and get a much better food.

Thanks...everyones input helps allot. I went to PetSmart today and looked for some good food for zebra and all they have there is Junk dry food. So now I have to go to a specalized store that carries the food I need. And it's realy out of the way. Uh why can't big chain pet stores carry the good food?! It would make things so much easier. But I suppose nothing in life is ever easy. :lol: :P

Tell me about it Malamum!!!! The prices here are ridiculous!!!! If I were to be feeding one of those really expensive dry foods I'd be spending over half my pay each fortnight just to feed the two darlins!!!! Not to mention with the poor variety I get here I'd have to mail order it, ick, so much hassle and so much money!!! Think I'll stick to the BARF!!!!!!

I feed my dogs a combination of raw and dry. It works very well, and isn't so expensive that way.

In the morning, they get a raw chicken back with raw carrotts and tomatoes and maybe bananna, or whatever fresh raw veggies I have around. In the evening they get their dry food with some natural yogurt on top. They love it :lol:

Finally found someone close to a Jollys :lol: - thought it was only me, fab arent they? Best thing is you can take your dog in with you (we used to take Buffy down there and pinch the food out of the help-yourself bins, see if she liked it! :wink: )
Been getting the Autarky from there for about a year, but it's not a common brand they might have only added it to your one recently.
Only reason I've changed to Davies is because I can get that delivered by the bloke up the road, but apparently CSJ (who also make a dog food) deliver Autarky - they have a website too, but don't have the link on me I'm afraid.

[quote name='LisaLQ']Finally found someone close to a Jollys :lol: - thought it was only me, fab arent they? Best thing is you can take your dog in with you (we used to take Buffy down there and pinch the food out of the help-yourself bins, see if she liked it! :wink: )
Been getting the Autarky from there for about a year, but it's not a common brand they might have only added it to your one recently.
Only reason I've changed to Davies is because I can get that delivered by the bloke up the road, but apparently CSJ (who also make a dog food) deliver Autarky - they have a website too, but don't have the link on me I'm afraid.[/quote]

[color=darkred]I usually to go to Pets At Home....but I have been to Jolly's once or twice!!
The one near me is quite a big store....it has a good choice for pets :D
I always look on there board when we go in....to see what is for sale.
I did get a keyring of a Bullmastiff and a dog tag in shape of a Bullmastiff from there, which you can't find in many pets shops so I was quite pleased :wink:
Next time I go in I will have a look for Autarky.[/color]