Dogomania

Animal killed by pit bull

ShadyLady

[quote name='Laduendas']I am to busy to log in but I would like to reply.
Yes I would have jumped in and broken the fight up but your right I know the breed she does not. [color=red][b]I agree with Carol -- you still disgust me with you lack of knowledge on such a volatile breed. YOU know YOUR dogs. How can YOU know EVERY single APBT's attitude that walks this earth. Giving advice such as this to just walk up to a dog, especially an APBT, that has prey in his mouth and try to TAKE THAT PREY AWAY FROM HIM. He may have been *trained* to hunt, I doubt seriously of this, more like hunt down and tear up the game before the owner could arrive, but how is Shady supposed to know that he just wasn't having a tasty snack. You can argue all day -- YOU DO NOT KNOW THIS. NOT every dog is going to act like yours. [/b][/color]

If I was harsh I am sorry but the comments about the dog attacking a child made me very angry . [b][color=darkred]Maybe your dogs would never attack a child. There has been PROOF that some APBT, as well as other breeds, ARE human aggressive. To say that an APBT, as a breed, are NOT human aggressive is showing ignorance of the breed and of the unethical breeders. Time to take those rose colored glasses off and see these people for what they are --- bad breeders. I commend you for not breeding human aggressive dogs. But some people do not care if they are human aggressive or not --- they just breed. AND there are countless others that WANT human aggressive APBT's to keep law enforcement out of their drug labs. [/color][/b]

Apbt's are animal Agressive But those same dogs can be very reliable and human friendly meaning just because it attacked an animal does not mean it will go out and attack a child. [b][color=red]Redirected aggression does occur and very frequently. Shady was not and is not the owner of this dog. She did not know him, nor did he know her. He could have easily turned on her. [/color][/b]

You can tell the difference between a child and an animal right? Well a dog who has far better senses than us can tell as well. But you are also right I do not know this particular dog or if it is even truly an Apbt or not.I wrote without thinking it true. [b][color=darkred]I get tired of people not taking the responsibility of their dogs, especially when it's a volatile breed. So to say that YOU doubt it was an APBT is ridiculous. It's people like you that refuse to admit that someone, somewhere may have just badly bred an APBT. Other breeds have the same problem, not picking on the Bully owners. I have ACD's and I know there are some very, very bad bred ones that will kill a goat and bite a human in a heart beat. I'm not going to say that they won't. They will ---- just like some APBT's will.[/color][/b]

As for taking the animal to the vet,Well If I was so intent in taking the owner of the dog to court then yes I would have taken the animal to the vet as I would need to proof in court that the animal died as a result of the dog attack. How can you prove in court that your goat would not have lived had you not shot it and taken it to the vet instead? [color=red][b]You obviously don't have, nor have ever had goats. If the throat is laying on the ground, you can pretty much decide for yourself that it's not going to make. It was the humane thing to do in putting the goat down. Their cries are like a baby crying --- something that you would not understand. AND some people live many, many miles from the nearest vet (like 80 miles). It doesn't matter if the goat died or was put to sleep --- the DOG STILL ATTACKED THE GOAT. That is the bottom line. I don't care if the dog only pulled his ear off --- he still, without a second thought, ATTACKED the goat. She doesn't have to prove the goat would have died, only that the dog attacked it, period.[/b][/color]

I agree it is the dog owners fault but killing the dog is not the answer. Talk to your neighbor but don't act histerical and call his dog a killer,get to know the dog before you condemm it and have it killed. [b][color=darkred]The unwritten law in the country concerning livestock is that if a dog is in YOUR pasture, KILLING YOUR livestock ---- it's a death sentence. I would have shot that dog without a second thought. I dont' want to meet him or have tea or chat about the weather. HE killed one my goats (we make a living off our goats and many are pets). There are NO second chances when it comes to livestock. The owner should have been responsible in the first place. IF and I use that lightly, IF he was trained as a catch dog, ALL they do is CATCH, they don't KILL or chew up the game. I know, we use to hunt with dogs. Hunted feral hogs that were tearing up the pasture. This is NOT a well trained hunting dog. A well trained hunting dog (hog dog) doesn't tear up the game, unless that is what he's been trained to do. Some are trained to kill the game, MOST are NOT.[/color][/b]

To answer your question: Catch dogs that are used to hunt Wild boar are used only to Catch the animal they are not trained to kill it just to hold it so that the hunter can get close enough to kill or capture it. The hunter does the actual killing. Bay dogs are used to find the animal and keep it there by sorrounding it without catching it usually you would use hounds for that and then once it is ayed you would bring in the catch dog and allow it to catch the animal then you(the hunter) would move in when your dog had a good hold and kill the animal. But it depends on what your hunting. For example you would not want to use a catch dog on a mountain lion as the mountain lion would over power the dog you would just use Baydogs and then use your gun.[/quote]

Shady -- take it from someone who knows your feeling about goats, this was a terrible thing to happen.

I love dogs like nothing else in this world, but if a dog was killing one of my livestock --- and we love and cherish ours --- I would kill the dog immediately. Yep, it wasn't his fault, it was his owners for not keeping him up -- but, too late. And I'm sure it wouldn't be the dog's fault the next time he done it or the time after that, too.

We live in the middle of nowhere, neighbors are not close. If their dog is just merely cutting across the pasture, not bothering the stock, that's different. But to have one killing, that's a death sentence.

I suspect I'll get lots of hate posts, but if you haven't lived in the country, raised livestock, pulled the calf or goat, spent many, many days bottle feeding.....all to have a dog viciously take it's life......then you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Maddog you are right, to an extent. Sometimes there isn't any time to drive to the owners house, retrieve him back to your place for HIM to call off HIS dog. That all surrounds IF the owner is at home.

The dog is in the pasture, killing goats, he won't stop --- no other way, but to kill the dog.

Granted, in Shady's situation, the dog called off. Many situations, the dog ignores you because he is focused on his prey (which are YOUR goats/sheep, calves).

I'm afraid my anger would have overridden any common sense or compassion in Shady's situation.

The following in NO WAY is intended to say that anyone should or should have tried to physically stop a strange dog attacking livestock, I am merely using this as an analogy.
If a dog jumps my fence and is on my property attacking any one of my dogs, I will do ANYTHING necessary up to and including killing that dog to stop the attack. Being that I would be at home, I would have, um, tools nearby to assist me in this. If I have not killed the dog but can restrain it, I will do so for animal control to come and get it. If my dog is injured, I will take my dog to the vet. THEN I will go after the owner of the other dog, if possible, to verify rabies vaccine status AND for reimbursement of any vet bills.
My point is simply this, yes ULTIMATELY the owner of the dog is responsible. But as Hobbit said, at the time of the attack, if a weapon with which to stop the attacking dog is handy, then the second to pay the price will be the attacking dog. The first was the animal attacked of course. The third will be the owner of said dog.

Hi,

I am new to the board, I live in Ireland which is sheep country and every year hundreds of sheep get killed and mauled by dogs. Mostly by BC and JRT. I also run a Bull Breed Sanctuary and when I read the title of this topic, my stomach turned. PIT BULL killed goat. I agree that a dog should be kept under control at all time. And I also seen the damage dogs can do when they attack another animal, not just APBT. It is highly distressing to lose an animal this way. But why not sit down with the owner of the dog and have a conversation? What happened, why was the dog loose? Is he/she prepared to pay for damages, is he/she willing to exert more and better control over the animal etc??

Sarah

[quote name='maddog']Sigh... the dog is a product of it's owner. Punish the owner not the dog.[/quote]

Since it seems kind of impractical to hunt down a dog owner during an attack and shoot them, I'm with Carol and Hobbit. If ANYTHING ever comes into my territory and attacks one of my critters, I will do whatever it takes to stop the attack, up to and including killing the dog. It's not my first choice, but there's not always time to negotiate with a charging dog (Pit Bull or otherwise... wouldn't matter to me). I wouldn't hunt down a dog after the fact and do it, but during an attack... oh, yeah.

Hobbit , Carol to be honest if I'd have had a gun on me I would have shot the dog right there and then with out a second thought , thats what I was screaming for my husband to get unfortunately we werent quick enough.

To dogwoman Im sorry that you were upset that it was a pit bull and I fully realize that any breed is capable of turning bad . I own working (herding ) dogs and would never leave them unsupervized as I know they have the potential to turn bad because of their strong herding drives I could also list numerous other breeds that I have known of that have been pts because of killing stock so no breed is immuned . What I really resent is bad owners .Owners that tell me but they've never done it before and wouldnt hurt a fly , if you know your dog is bred for a particular purpose be aware and accept the responsibility for training the dog .The main reason I mentioned the breed was in the hopes I could find out more about what they are bred for and how is a hunting dog supposed to react in that sort of situation (as I have no experience with hunting) to try an work out if this dog was a rogue or was it doing what it was trained to do and that would influence my decision as to how I felt about whether the dog could be retrained or not . I am the first to admitt I know nothing about the breed hunting dogs are of no use to me

I know Shady, it's always the deed not the breed and it's the owner who is responsible for the deed. The only hunting APBT's I know are in Australia with a friend of mine and let me tell you: they are the most well behaved tribe I know. Another friend of mine uses his APBT for herding his sheep, also no problem. But if they are unsupervised than they can do much damage. Would you trust the owner of the APBT to look after his dog properly now that damage has been done? I know from experience with sheep killers here that they are most likely to do it again if given a chance.

Sarah

[quote name='ShadyLady']Hobbit , Carol to be honest if I'd have had a gun on me I would have shot the dog right there and then with out a second thought , thats what I was screaming for my husband to get unfortunately we werent quick enough.
[/quote]

And under the circumstances you would have been completely justified.

I, too, would have stopped the animal with any means possible. Including shooting it if necessary. I'm sorry, I hope no one is offended, and I have nothing against Pits. I have Labs, but if one was attacking and attempting to kill my dogs I would stop it cold. Any dog can attack and kill an animal - it's part of their wolf instincts that never really go away....

If any animal (dog, cat, bird, blood-thirsty deer, I don't really give a damn) was attacking any member of my family (Shadow, Rocky, my sis or bro) I swear-to-God I'd kill it. Take me to court, I don't care. It's a whole different story when you're on the animal's property but on your own land?!?