Dogomania

Not again!! Help!

Daisy is sick again!!! :( She started with the diarrhea just after Trixie was PTS. But, we had also given her some raw hide about the same time. So, I'm not sure what is causing this. She gets sick two to three times a year (if not more) and I have chalked it up to an irritable bowel. I think this first started when she ate some socks or whatever she could sink her teeth into. I think her bowels are just shot. We had her on EN forever with Prozyme on top to help with digestion. We very slowly weened her off of the EN and she has been fine up until now. When she gets like this, I get her refills of Endorsob tablets and Sulfasalazine (which I think is an antibiotic?) It doesn't seem to be working this time??? Now today, she won't eat. THIS IS NOT LIKE HER, SHE IS A LAB! I am getting worried. I am also giving her rice with her food. Has anyone, especially lab owners had a similar problem??? This was sooooooo bad a one point, before we figured out what was wrong with her, that we had talked about putting her down. She gets to the point where all that comes out is blood :( She hasn't gotten to his point, yet :-? But probably will. We had all sorts of tests run on her in the past, and this just seems to be a recurring thing with her. Any ideas, similar situations, or suggestions? I really could use your advice.

Does anyone think it is because of Trixie??

P.S. She is still on the Prozyme and she is vomiting a little.

Well, when I came home for lunch, there were 4 piles of vomit on my den carpet and the hall way in the kitchen was covered in ?????? can't really tell. Think it was diarrhea. Well, needless to say we have a 3:30 vet appointment.

[size=7]I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY BODY HAS HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH THEIR DOG [/size]- I am baffled!!

Oh no, I'm so sorry.
This has happened before? What did they say?
Please keep us informed as much as you can. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, I know how hard it is when our furkids are sick, and not knowing what is wrong.
Best wishes to you and Daisy

Guest Anonymous

Poor Daisy :(
Has she every had torsion? or her stomach twist even slightly?

I would stay away from rawhide altogether being as how she has a possible bowel, intestinal problem. Kongs filled with treats work and give the chewing satisfaction.
What exactly was in the vomit? Food.. clear.. Just wondering if it is stomach contents or acid..

Well, she is in the hospital. They are keeping her over night with IV fluids. They will do more blood and stool testing if they can even get any stool. God it was so hard to see that vet again... it has only been 3 weeks since you know what and well, I feel a little stupid :oops: I started to get a little upset and my vet (who wasn't even supposed to be there) came over and asked me how Daisy was. I told her it all started right after Trixie... and she said I did the right thing.... I think she thought I was upset about Daisy. I mean, I am. But not that way. It was just seeing her again for the first time after she had PTS Trixie. God what a day :( .

Any way. They hopefully will send out some stool to the lab and I hope they will find something this time. Jacsmom, I'm not sure about what you asked???? I don't think this has happened, but am not sure what it is. I assume you mean a twisting of the intestine?? Who knows. She has eaten things before that she shouldn't, i.e., socks, hair bands and etc. It may have twisted things up for her????

I'm sorry I missed all the past stuff...
can you fill me in on her diet and past medical history including treatments or point me to an old thread? Also what breed(s) is she?
Something is not right here, if this is recurring and your vets aren't finding an answer.

Gosh Daisymom, I am so sorry this is happening to your girl. I wish I could offer up advice, but I don't have any experience with digestive troubles. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can give you good advice. I'll be keeping Daisy and you in my thoughts! :cry:

Wow...I would not keep feeding her those things! Those are really highly processed foods with a lot of chemicals. I'd recommend raw of course :D but a good kibble would be a big improvement over EN or IAMs.

I would also head to a holistic vet. They are much more dedicated to finding the root cause rather than just pumping her with chemicals. They are more expensive (I use 2 - one is $60 the other $75 per visit - but generally ends up cheaper because no expensive meds) but...I've been to regular vets and it's a quick look see and out you go...my holistic vet spent over an hour with us for our first visit - with a fully healthy dog in just for a check up. Generally they are certified in both holistic medicine and regular (allopathic) medicine, as well as possibly other areas such as Chinese herbs, nutrition, etc.
You can find one in your area at [url]http://www.ahvma.org/states_and_directory/directory.html[/url] by entering your state into the bar at left. There is a key to their specialties on the left.

There is something going on here with your dog, and I don't know if foods can cause something so sporadic, but the fact that your other dog was eating poop means that she was lacking nutrition and that the poop contained undigested stuff in it. So the food itself isn't good, but I can't say that is the problem. Switching to a better food will help her overall.

Slippery elm is a wonderful safe herb that soothes the mucous membranes, so it is great for stomach upset, diarrhea, sore throat etc.

Hope you guys get to the bottom of this soon.

[quote name='Daisysmom']

I really think the EN was good for her, and was recommended by our vet.[/quote]

I don't know the ingredients but I highly doubt it is a good food.

Vets are not nutritionists - they generally have only attended a Hills or other corporate nutrition seminar, and no I'm not making that up. I can get you more info on that, and I used to work in a veterinary complex with 4 vets who all only used Hills because that's all they were taught.

EDIT - I don't like editing my posts but I want you to understand I didn't mean any of the above to imply you do not want the best for her or try to do everything right or are a bad pet mommy. Unfortunately the pet food industry and the veterinary industry are not what we as Americans expect. There is very little regulation of either, and vets are NOT taught nutrition unless they seek out a special program and then they will have a CN. I know you want the best for her, so why not try a different route? Obviously the current methods and advice are not working.

Hills wants to promote their pet food so much that they "GIVE" it to the veterinarian and vet hospitals. The vet hospitals can't very well turn down FREE food, nor can the general practioner Vet.

Many, many vets have said Hills is NOT a quality food, but it's FREE.

Who is it made by? I have never seen a good prescription diet, other than maybe the Neura stuff but even then, I think a good diet is all that is necessary. If we would just stop denaturing all the food and putting chemicals in it and feeding them dead pets and old moldy grains, maybe we wouldn't have all these vet problems? Oh wait...then how would all those vets stay in business? Well the system works great from their perspective...keeps us all buying their food and going to the vet.

I'm glad you didn't think that. I'm just very passionate about pet care and rather blunt which can sometimes come across wrong.
:)

Thanks everybody :)

The vet called last night and said there was a small problem with her blood work. She is lacking protein and I can't remember the other thing - not the white or red count, but one thing I wasn't familiar with. They have her on antibiotics too. They are keeping her off of all food for now. (Only IVs)

[quote]feed raw chicken twice a week [/quote] You really feed them raw chicken??? I thought it was full of germs and bacteria and had to be cooked? I guess their system can take it :roll: Just doesn't seem right to me. Alicat, do you only feed raw chicken like K, or other meat?? I would be interested in adding to her dry, especially because of the protein thing. (but I think most of that is because it is going right out the other end) I will also ask my vet about the raw meat.

Thanks

Hmmm.... I asked one of the vets about it when she called with an update on Daisy and she suggested not to do it. She called it the Barf diet and said that she had seen more problems with it then with out it. She suggested that I go back to the EN or a low residue food that Eukanuba puts out. I'm sure the EN is more expensive.

Daiseysmom -- some people feed raw chicken and have never had a problem with it, maybe they are just lucky.

We fed raw chicken a while (years) back and 11 dogs contracted Salmonella. It was not a happy time. It took them about 2 wks of antibiotics to get better. It took them months to recover. Before anyone questions the handling process --- the chicken was fresh, straight from the refrigerator.

Some dogs do well on things that another dog would die on. Despite what barf-diet users wants to believe or will say; there are good brands of dog food out there --- you just have to do the research and find them. AND there are some crap out there --- so beware of them.

Guest Anonymous

The low protein could be from all of the blood loss.. She could possibly have an ulcer bleeding.. Have they done any xrays on her?
Labs are known for eating anything and everything... Jacs fave is 2X4's!
Including the ones that put together my deck.. Of course this can cause splinters in his stomach so I daily have a little chat with him on not eating the deck..

I would have them run some her bloodwork again after she has stablized some.. If she has not had X rays I would have those done also. Get the name of what else was wrong with bloodwork and do some checking yourself.. It helps! :wink:

Dogs are made to eat raw chicken, raw rabbit, etc.

If your dogs contracted salmonella you were feeding nasty chicken, sorry. Unfortunately, dogs are meant to eat healthy natural meats, and we make unhealthy unnatural meats. So it is best if you can find a good source.

An unhealthy dog would benefit 10 times more from a raw diet than a healthy one. I am surprised when I see people say otherwise. It is often the reason people switch.

Of course your vet is against it...no commission. But obviously they've been so helpful so far. Good luck.

Just to play devils advocate (dont shoot me). I have read that even though dogs do eat raw meat in the wild, most wild dogs live lives much shorter than domesticated dogs and often die from complications of eating raw meat, ie infections, diseases, problems caused by eating bones. I dont how much value it holds but it is something to think about. Wild dogs dont necessarily live the best lives, at least not as good as domestic dogs.