Dogomania

Update on Collies

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was not sure where to post this or if it is acceptable. I feel it is important. Thanks. Watch Dog

At 9 AM opening arguments began. Athena Lethcoe-Harman and John Harman
were charged with 181 counts of
animal cruelty. The original charge of 182 counts was changed because
authorities originally thought there were 11 cats instead
of 10.

Defense attorney Scott Albers stressed the importance of the Valiant
kennel because of the genetic work Ms.
Harman was doing over the past 20 years with collie eye anomaly. He
explained she needed a large amount of dogs to carry out
her work. He explained the Harmans were moving to Arizona: 1, because
of the weather; 2, larger population to sell unneeded
dogs to keep number of dogs down. He explained the normal practice in
Alaska was to just shoot all dogs no longer needed in a
kennel. She chose to truck the excess dogs to Arizona rather than shoot
them; 3, more stud dogs available; 4, many Europeans
are interested in her dogs. In Arizona she can ship more dogs to
Europe; 5, she is diabetic and needed a warmer climate.

Albers stressed how carefully the Harmans planned the trip to ensure it
would go well because of the importance
of AKC registration.

Prosecutor Merle Raph, assisted by Teton County attorney Joe Coble,
called U.S. Customs Inspector Russell
Hancock of the Port of Sweetgrass. Hancock testified the Harmans said
they were transporting 105 dogs, and that each dog had
its own kennel except for a few puppies. Concerned that the dogs needed
food and water, he stated he discussed this with Ms.
Harman. She replied they didn't have any food. The defense pointed out
it had only been 12 hours since they had been last
fed and watered. He stated she wanted to buy food, but that it was
10:30 at night and the nearest open store was about 60 miles
away They had some water in a blue plastic barrel According to the
inspector at Sweetgrass, the only food on the truck was in
the bottom of the crates soaked in urine and fecal material Inspector
Hancock testified he detained the Harmans to get a
veterinarian to check the overall health of the animals He said it was
an unusual case.

Deputy Sheriff Mike Lamie described inching his way to the back of the
truck sideways along the filthy narrow
aisle after the chainlink fencing panels were removed He described the
urine and fecal material that dripped onto his uniform from
the crates piled up on both sides of the truck He looked into the pens
with his flashlight and saw the collies wet with the urine
and fecal material He described the foul smell, the 0 degree
temperature, and the frozen condensation on the ceiling of the poorly
ventilated truck He called the Toole County Sheriff's Office in Shelby
and reported his findings to then-Undersheriff Donna
Matoon. He also called in Dr. Hardee Clark, Shelby veterinarian, to
assess the condition of the dogs The portable fence panels
from the truck were set up outside, and about 20 dogs were offloaded He
testified Ms. Harman began giving the dogs water, and
attempted to scoop out filth in the bottom of some crates He described
two collies separated from the others, not drinking water,
and appearing listless Deputy Lamie testified Dr. Clark asked Ms.
Harman why the two dogs appeared unwell, and were
separated She said they were separated because they were recovering
from parvo. Deputy Lamie explained he felt a crime was
being committed.

Defense attorney Albers pointed out Ms. Harman was diligently watering
the 15-20 dogs in the pen, and cleaning
their empty crates He reviewed Deputy Lamie's written report and asked
him about his statement, Frozen particles of
liquid in the dogs fur. Albers explained there had been a flood in
Alaska before the Harmans began their trip.

Prosecutor Merle Raph called Dr. James Becker, DVM, the Port of
Sweetgrass veterinarian He described the
sanitation Very filthy, filthy cages, filthy animals, and some cleaning
had taken place before I got there. He assessed
the overall condition of the dogs, saw one dog basically OUT, couldn't
get up, died shortly. His decision
Must clean up situation as soon as possible and get those dogs treated.
He further stated, Dogs were definitely on
the thin side I wanted to see if these critters were able to stand. He
testified he asked Ms. Harman, What
happened? She explained, Fire. He testified he asked if she had
considered aborting the mission He testified
that she said she didn't think they would make it through the winter in
Alaska.

Court was then adjourned until 9 AM Thursday. The trial is expected to
last through Friday.

Thea Sperline, professional groomer Kay Bullard, and I drove out to Camp
Collie today to see the dogs at
lunchtime. They are clean, well fed, and of course continuing to
receive veterinary care. The dog with the most serious hernia
has had surgery and is recovering nicely. AWCA is proud to be able to
pay his bill, and we thank the animal community for
making that possible.

Calmly,
Jean Levitt, President AWCA
Lisa King, AWCA Director AWCA Rescue
Officers and Members of AWCA

If you would like to assist AWCA with this rescue effort, you may send a
check to:

Bethany Burke
AWCA Treasurer
2807 Lee Trevino Court
Shalimar, FL 32579

And here are the newspaper links for same - compliments of Sadie - Collie Breeders List
Subject: [CollieBreeders] news updates - Montana Collies

[url]http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20030123/localnews/834106.html[/url]

[url]http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/2503083p-2557518c.html[/url]

[url]http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~26794~1129666,00.html[/url]

[url]http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2003/01/23/build/local/dogcruelty.inc[/url]

Guest Anonymous

UPDATE 1/23/03 on the Montana Collies: [url]http://www.awca.net/[/url]
Statement by AWCA President Jean Levitt, from Shelby, MT
*Permission to crosspost*

Trial
The trial continued today with Deputy Mike Lamey still on the stand. "I felt the situation as a lay person was horrendous, but I wanted a medical opinion." Defense attorney Albers attempted to assign blame for the condition of the dogs to the fact that Customs officials at the Port of Sweet Grass had detained the truck for so many hours. The prosecutor called Dr. Hardee Clark. Referring to the 15-20 dogs Ms. Harman was watering in a pen outside the truck at the Port, Clark stated, "I saw in the pens thin, wet, matted dogs, diuretic feces, and one dog straining to defecate." Inspecting the inside of the truck, Dr. Clark testified, "These dogs looked thin, neglected...filthy conditions, wet floor of kennels, dogs laying in their own urine and feces, small pens, their backs were rubbing on the top of the cages." He described reaching in some pens to palpate dogs. "...Found them to be very thin."&n! bsp; Describing a scale of 1 to 9, 9 begin fattest, 1 being emaciated, and 5 being ideal, Dr. Clark assigned 2 to the dogs he palpated. Dr. Clark testified Ms. Harman apologized for the condition of the animals. She said she had 130 dogs to take care of, and hadn't been able to do that. He noticed a kennel with two dogs in it. He said, "Oh, must have put two dogs in that one." Dr. Clark explained his major concern was their health and well being. "The length of time the truck had been detained by authorities didn't change much." Dr. Clark testified matted hair coats decrease insulating ability and show the amount of care these dogs have had. "Damp-to-wet in matting is less insulating than even with matting." He testified, "The dogs were thin, calculus on teeth, shows care of the dogs, and may relate to nutrition and immune status, also drinking or not drinking." Dr. Clark revi! ewed dogs he examined by number. He began his examinations with #101. Describing #102: "male, intact, matted, dirty hair coat, draining eyes, swollen nose, calculus on teeth, broken upper canine, tattoo." [You saw his photo in the Great Falls Tribune, "Tattered Collie," by Carol Bradley.] "#106: very thin, a 2 on the scale of 1 to 9; emaciated, loss of all-over body fat, atrophy of muscle, using protein from muscle to stay alive...end stage of thinness." [On and on; #25 "emaciated, and on to #170.] Dr. Clark testified, "What was notable about #170...dead in cage. I did a necropsy, I've done thousands, cause of death, dog died from pneumonia, very dehydrated and emaciated...sent samples to lab...pneumonia...lab reported aspirated E. coli, infection...dog weak, got down in bottom of cage, and aspirated his own urine and feces." When the prosecutor asked Dr. Clark for his opinion,! he stated: "I believe that to load and transport these animals considering their shape and condition caused them pain and suffering."
The defense attempted to find another way for the dog to aspirate E. coli. Dr. Clark testified, "It comes from feces. It takes wet fecal material to cause this." On redirect Dr. Clark testified, "I've seen animals in accidental entrapment up to two weeks in better shape than these dogs." Next the prosecutor called Dr. Kelly Manzer. She described unloading the truck and the examination of dogs #1-100. She testified, "The dogs were not accessible." They had to take out chainlink panels and other items, including two 55-gal barrels, garbage cans, etc., which took over an hour for several people to unload before they could get to the dogs. Again, the hair coat matting was discussed, weight loss, Dr. Manzer testified, "I ran my hands over every dog...emaciated, and a step beyond emaciation."
Defense attorney Albers objected to her testimony. He stated she was not qualified to make those determinations. She was allowed to continue after it was established she had 11 years of education to become a veterinarian, the average veterinarian has 8+ years. She continued her testimony with an explanation of the tenting test on upper eyelid as a sign of dehydration and starvation. "In the majority I saw evidence of both." She stated further she saw a significant amount of matting and dreadlocks. "In matting can be found foreign bodies, it's not hygienic, it painfully pulls on the skin, pulls hair out, and pieces of skin." In answer to the prosecutor's question, "How long were the mats there?" she testified, "Years of matting." When asked if she took the dogs' temperatures during triage as they came off the truck, Dr. Manzer testified, "No,! they were so matted it would take too long to find their rectum."
As for overall additional observations, Dr. Manzer stated, "I saw depression, scars, missing toes, broken off ears, bloody gums, bloody faces from struggling against cages, bad teeth."

Folks, this is all very difficult for me to report. Dr. Manzer's testimony is to be continued. This trial is expected to go into next week. I hope we, the animal loving community, will continue to remain dignified and calm for the sake of these animals. Thanks to the donors and volunteers, this colony of animals is greatly improved; however, we continue to fight internal parasites at Camp Collie. Will you say a prayer for the animals, please?

Guest Anonymous

This woman was huge in the world of Collies at one time. The greed won out over the dog's care. The pictures of the place in Alaska were horrendous. Alaska was putting the pressure on so she was moving her operation. Very sad. There were smooth and rough collies. I hope they throw the book at this woman and she never owns another animal. Her goal is to get her dogs back. Not because she loves them that is for sure. I would like to see her and her husband do jail time.

Guest Anonymous

The court trial is over. It has been declared a mis-trial. How that could happen is beyond me. The video tape was not allowed as evidence. They are now asking for a new trial. Lets hope it is granted or these animal abusers will get off scott free. Makes me sick to even think the jury would have a problem deciding the guilt of these lower than dirt scurve bag, show millers.

[quote name='K'][quote name='Nancy B'][quote name='Watchdog'] I would like to see her and her husband do jail time.[/quote]

I would also like to see the court order that they are never allowed to own a companion animal again.[/quote]

I agree with both of the above statements and also that they are ordered to pay restitution to the vets involved in care and also to camp collie[/quote]

So do I!! this is terrible!! There was a guy here who was arrested and tried
for mistreatment of his horses - we're in the Chicago area, and he wasnt brushing them or providing the stables with enough straw to keep them warm, according to the reports. This sounds MUCH WORSE and they let her go???

At least the horses were fed, and had water every day. And he did clean the stables....and he lost his horses. This is outrageous that she could get away with this.

They asked for people to stop sending e-mail it was over loading the system.

I think that if these people want a re-trial they need to make that descision. If they don't have the evidence to put her away...then they are making fools of themselves. No one will ever know for sure exactly what went on, on the trip and when she was stopped, etc...etc...because we were not there. From what I read of the court case, it seemed like a pretty weak arguement, with all the "proof" the rescue groups were printing on the internet. How come if it were all true, the prosecution did not use it? (they used some of it, but nothing in comparison) There are just way to many un-answered questions here.
My worry is for the dogs and I hope they dog okay...but at the same time I don't want stuff like this used for AR fodder either. I am on the fence on this one....I just want the dogs to be happy and healthy.