Dogomania

Future Pit Bull owners please educate yourself

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Before you get any dog it is a wise to learn about the breed or dogs in general, but before you get a dog like a pit bull, you really need to learn a lot about them. Spend time with them, talk to breeders go to shows. It just breaks my heart :cry: when something happens to these dogs.
I recently read a post on here that some had a pit bull that killed one of there others. I think it was by some one with the name Dogman, but cant remember. They had 2 Pits thatt killed their other and then they put it down because they had a 15month old. Pit bulls were created for fighting among other things, not of them still have dog-aggressive characteristics. I can beleive someone would put their dog down like that, especially with the excuse i have a 15month old, that is insane and unfair to the dog for an uneducated owner to own this breed. It is unfair to the animal. 2 dogs have lost their lives(actually 3) because this owner didnt know about the breed they owned. 1. Pits can be dog-aggressive 2. Don't pit bulls together insupervised 3. Dog-aggressive is different form people aggression. Many dogs when pit fighting was legal doubled has family pets, they were trusted child companions, some even got along with other dogs outside of the pit. How could you do that to your dogs who are only acting as pit bulls, it is sad that they killed your other dog, but who's fualt is it that they were left together.
I tried to warn a neighbor of mine he had 2 pits a male and female, he got the female puppy when his male was over 1yr. He even nuetered him which is wise. No pups, and usually calms them some. These 2 dogs got along they even did everything together, but he would leave them when gone for work. I tried telling him on several occassions, but he refused to listen. One day he came home from work and is female had killed his male. And he was the bigger of the 2 60lbs i think and she didn't weigh more than 40. It was so terrible :cry: , but it was because of his ignorance. :x When this happened the male was 4 and the female about 3, they had lived in harmanoy all this time, then one day something happened and no one was there to stop the worse. So even if you think your dogs get along just fine with the others DO NOT under any circumstances leave them along with eachother. Even if they are not in the least way dog aggressive sometimes dogs fight, or have small disagreements and this is with any breed, but with pit bulls it is much more severe. Once the dogs start it is likely they won't stop without some intervention, so they will go until the other is dead or you may be lucky and just need embergency vet care. This could all be caused by thats my toy or i wanted to lay there. Then a fight happens, just like with any breed but much worse! And in the event that something were to happen don't destroy the dog when it is no more dangerous to you or any other human then it was before. It is the owners fualt when something like this happens!! Please think before getting a pit bull, or any dog! Think about the specific breed you are getting, its charactristics and what it was breed to do. i feel so sorry for all 3 of those dogs, the one killed by the other 2. It must have been in a lot of pain. And the other 2 betrayed by there owner, put to death for the owners mistake and misunderstanding.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

i agree with you!! we had pitts for years, and they were the nicest dogs in the world. when our female had puppies, my children were there to see it and she never once got upset. my daughter could sit in the middle of all of her puppies (supervised of course) and my female would just lick her!! pitts can be dangerous but if you treat them right and take care with other animals then they are some of the greatest pets. yes i made the mistake and left a new puppy in the yard while i drove my son to school one morning, not thinking that anything would happen in those short five minutes and when i came home my puppy was dead, i was heart broken but i know it was my fault because i left the puppy out. my pitt was just trying to play and she played to hard, i came home and she was laying by the puppy very upset and when i buried my puppy, my pitt layed back there for a long time it broke my heart cause i knew it was my fault. my sister in law told me that after my pitt (trixie) had her first litter she would become mean, but she didnt, her first litter she had eight healthy puppies and all lived. she was a good mom. unfortunately we found out after we had sold all of her puppies that we were going to lose our house insurance because of owning pitts. so we found her a good home. :cry: a lot of times i go outside thinking im going to see her come running around the corner. we still get to see her and her new parents keep us up to date on her so at least we have that. one more thing about trixie, when her puppies were about 6wks old someone traded us two of there pitt puppies for two of ours. same age. trixie immediately layed down and let the puppies nurse, she never once treated them like they weren't hers. now how many dogs can you say would do that. so if you have pitts love em. i know we did and we always will. even if we cant have them for ourselves.

Umm..I'm not trying to be mean here..but why did your Pit have puppies? Are you a breeder? Why did you trade two of the pups for others? Whats the difference? Did your pups go to reptuble homes? And how did the pup in the yard die? :-?

Remember I'm not trying to be mean..I'm just asking! :wink:

[quote]when her puppies were about 6wks old someone traded us two of there pitt puppies for two of ours. same age. trixie immediately layed down and let the puppies nurse, she never once treated them like they weren't hers[/quote]

I am not a breeder and am the first to admit that I don't really know anthing about it. However I was curious to whether the above was a normal practice? Seems kind of strange to me :o

Guest Anonymous

im sorry i spelled pit's wrong please excuse me, but there was no need to be rude. as for why we bred her was because we wanted to. we found good homes for all of our puppies. we traded the puppies because we were thinking about keeping one of the traded ones to breed later with our mama. it might have been earlier than 6 weeks but not much and as for the puppy that died as i said before i had left it in the yard with my pitt while i ran my son to school. it was my fault for leaving it out. i never expected to get such a rude response to something i am very interested in. i thought this would be a nice place to come to but you people really make me wonder.

Guest Anonymous

what is bybing? never heard of it myself. pits are as good as any other dog to have so if i want to breed them and give other people who want good puppy pits to raise up right then that is my choice. do not condem me for not going to a shelter and getting a dog we have tried this twice and both times the dogs that we have gotten have turned on my children. you have your own opinion so if you dont like what im saying then thats fine but DO NOT BE RUDE. i do not breed animals to dump them off in the woods i breed them to give them to people that will take care of them!!!! it really upsets me that you responding like this. i am a nice person and i take care of my animals. last weekend we found a poor dog that had been dumped and shot in the leg, we brought this dog home with us and have an appointment with the vet. i care about animals so quite making it to be like im some irresponsible pet owner that doesnt care.

Most of the people on this site (from what I can gather) are what I would consider responsible pet owners and I would say 99.9 % of us are against backyard breeders. :evil:

Lots of people here are heavily involved in rescue and work in shelters etc and have seen and have had to deal with the repercussions of backyard/irresponsible breeding. If you are going to post some dubious comments you need to expect a bit of backlash.

We posted at the same time.

BYBing is Backyard breeding.

No one is saying you are a terrible person - no one knows you to make that judgment however from your first post when it comes to breeding I would definitely say irresponsible. You fall into the category of a BYB.

I have seen your post regarding the dog you found and I don't doubt that you care about animals, however breeding is not something to be taken lightly and done willy nilly. As I said before, expect a bit of backlash if you think breeding like that is the right thing to do.

Guest Anonymous

i do not breed irresponsibily. how may i ask am i being irresponsible. there are alot of people out there who want pits but dont want to get them at an older age. our pound here will not even adopt pits out they put to sleep or send them to pit rescue. the people we gave our pits to we knew. we knew they woulld not fight them and we knew they would have good homes. almost all of the people who got pits from us work with my husband and love there pits. our dogs are our babies. we do not make a habit of breeding dogs. this was just a one time thing. right now i have a male english mastiff, a female bull mastiff (neither of which i plan to breed) and we also have a pitt/boxer mix that was given to us and the dog we picked up last weekend that was starving and hurt is a weimaramer ( i probably didnt spell that right) im glad most of the people here are involved with animal rescue. if i could pick up every animal i saw on the road i would but i cant. i know that i do my part. couple of months ago we adopted a doberman for my father in law from a animal rescue place and she has a wonderful home now. when we first saw her she was in a cage that she couldnt even stand up all the way in and no one wanted her because she is on medication for a bad leg. but we fell in love with her and bought her and took her to my father in law who now claims that that is his baby. we do our part. one person in here has made it seem like im not responsible but i am so before you start accusing people of being irresponsible find out more about them. the only reason i posted what i did is because i agreed with the original person that started this topic which is pits are good dogs. i never expected to get the response that i got, you people act like you are better than everyone else. yes maybe yall do more for animals but that doesnt make yall better than anyone else. so you need to lose the high and mighty attitude towards normal people like me who are just trying to do there part.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous or high and mighty. I am not a breeder; I have never bred a dog and probably never will.

The issue is not about how much others do for animals - no one is having a go at you about that.

The issue is breeding irresponsibly. A responsible breeder

* Only breeds for the betterment of the breed

* Is EXTREMLY knowledgeable about all aspects of their chosen breed and adheres to the breed standard.

* Knows what genetic problems the breed is predisposed to and ensures that both the Sire and the Dam have had all the relevant medical tests to ensure that they are free from these conditions. And has the certificates to prove it. Certificates for the grandparents as well are even better.

* Only breeds dogs which have a sound temperament.

* Extensively screens potential puppy buyers and ensures that the buyers lifestyle suits the breed.

* Will take back any of their pups at any stage in their life for any reason rather than have it go to a shelter. As an example: if for any reason I can't keep my dog I have to give it back to my breeder. I am unable to sell or re-home my dog without going to my breeder first. (not that he will ever be away from me for the rest of his life

..Wow. what an excellent thread i will leave you all to it :lol: .........
But :lol: the only problem apart from the others not picked up on was
this.............

[color=red]almost all of the people who got pits from us work with my husband[/color]
[b]That in itself is irresponsible, selling or in this post you said giving a puppy who was far too young to someone that works . :oops: [/b]

[color=blue]i do not breed irresponsibily. how may i ask am i being irresponsible. there are alot of people out there who want pits but dont want to get them at an older age. our pound here will not even adopt pits out they put to sleep or send them to pit rescue[/color]
[b]You have actually answered you own question here :lol:
Why breed when so very very many endup on the scrap heap through no fault of their own, but through the fault of irresponsible BYB's[/b]

[color=red]one more thing about trixie, when her puppies were about 6wks old someone traded us two of there pitt puppies for two of ours. same age. trixie immediately layed down and let the puppies nurse,[/color]
[b]Traded.....my blood is boiling at that word :x 6 weeks is far far to young, and to then put these pups who could have had any sort of infection or illness into a litter for a bitch to nurse is not only stupid,ignorant, and ridiculous, it is again IRRESPONSIBLE

end of sermon :roll: [/b]

[quote name='roo']..Wow. what an excellent thread i will leave you all to it :lol: .........
But :lol: the only problem apart from the others not picked up on was
this.............

[color=red]almost all of the people who got pits from us work with my husband[/color]
[b]That in itself is irresponsible, selling or in this post you said giving a puppy who was far too young to someone that works . :oops: [/b]

[color=blue]i do not breed irresponsibily. how may i ask am i being irresponsible. there are alot of people out there who want pits but dont want to get them at an older age. our pound here will not even adopt pits out they put to sleep or send them to pit rescue[/color]
[b]You have actually answered you own question here :lol:
Why breed when so very very many endup on the scrap heap through no fault of their own, but through the fault of irresponsible BYB's[/b]

[color=red]one more thing about trixie, when her puppies were about 6wks old someone traded us two of there pitt puppies for two of ours. same age. trixie immediately layed down and let the puppies nurse,[/color]
[b]Traded.....my blood is boiling at that word :x 6 weeks is far far to young, and to then put these pups who could have had any sort of infection or illness into a litter for a bitch to nurse is not only stupid,ignorant, and ridiculous, it is again IRRESPONSIBLE

end of sermon :roll: [/b][/quote]

Couldn't have said it better! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Well, here I am.
I really dont know what to say except it is people like this who are ruining my breed. P!sses me off more and more.

jmouton, you asked [quote]how may i ask am i being irresponsible[/quote]
Well, let me answer that for you...
First, as K pointed out, you dont even know the correct spelling of the breed, which in turn shows you know nothing about them. Are the dogs even registered? I would guess no, especially since they are pitts, not A[b]Pit[/b]BTs. You traded pups that were too young to someone who just happened to have pups around the same age so you can breed them to the "mama", better know by a true breeder as a dame or brood bitch. You are breeding pits who are not game tested, are not registered, and are of unknown bloodlines. You are not breeding for the betterment of the breed but are breeding so your friends can own currs. There are anough currs in this world and your breeding currs is just adding to the situation. You are breeding dogs that, if one bites a person, the humaniacs will immediately put another notch against the TRUE American Pit Bull terriers. You are hurting the breed more than helping it, which you arent helping it at all.
As far as everyone being rude, you deserve for everyone to be rude.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with what all of you have said to this person so far but I would like to add that the one who is really responsible for all of this mess is the breeder who sold that person their Apbt in the first place. I understand that you are all angry with this person and so am I but how are they supposed to know what they did was wrong? How will they learn from their mistakes? You guys need to educate this person and tell them what they did was wrong and why it was wrong and why they should not breed dogs.

Here are some links. These things could have happend to puppies you sold or gave away or even to your momma dog since you no longer have her. please read them and look at the pictures and you will understand why we all get upset.
[url]http://members.tripod.com/acos2/[/url]

[url]http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/sadreality5.html[/url]

and these are just some of the millions of Apbt's waiting for homes all of them were probably once sold by people like you but now that they are grown here is where they ended up.

[url]http://www.pitbullrescuecentral.com[/url]
[url]http://www.petfinder.org[/url] (just do a search for pitbulls)

Guest Anonymous

I just cant stop...
I really wish you would take a look at what you are doing. If your freinds want dogs why not ask them to go to the local shelter? Or maybe a reputable breeder? What makes you so sure THEY are going to be responsible pet owners and that none of the dogs you breed will end up in a shelter? As a breeder I know how hard it is to find people who will make responsible owners. I sell my dogs for quite a bit of money BUT I still wont sell them to just anyone or even to friends who I dont think will be responsible with my dogs.
APBTs loose the stability they are known for when they are bred just to be bred, as you are doing, and not bred for gameness.
get a grip on the realities surrounding not only you but this wonderful breed you are helping destroy. They have it hard enough they dont need your help.
If you truely were a responsible owner or if you truely loved the breed you would spay/neuter your pets ASAP. You would research the breed and see that you are not helping but hurting the breed. You would stop doing what you are doing and just enjoy the presence of your pets.
Leave the breeding of the WONDERFUL APBT to those of us who know what we are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

i tell you what when i found this site i thought hmm this is a neat site and ill try it out but i tell you what ive realized i made a mistake so far all ive met is uppity people who think they know everything. as far as the puppies go, i knew my dogs had good temperment or i wouldnt have bred her. if the people that got puppies from us ever want to get rid of them we have already told them they are to give them back to us. no my pits are not registered but it doesnt matter to me. you people are so caught up in making sure everything is done just this way or that way. we bred our pit once and thats it we got eight puppies from her. where i come from it is very hard to come by pits. and i dont know about any other pit owners but i know i would not want a pit unless i could raise it from a puppy around my kids. so you know what get off my butt. yes i might be ignorant to your standards of breeding and dogs, but i am a normal pet owner unlike yall who i guess are so caught up in preaching to everyone else who doesnt do like you. this site is a joke and i dont think i will come back, it is not for everyone it is just for stuck up people who need to get a life. so thats all im gonna say. as far as one of you who is an administrator this site out to be ashamed to have someone like you doing anything on it. i know my pits have good homes and thats all that matters so all you freaks can just chill out and go find someone else to badger with you stupid ideals. you all just really piss me off.

[quote name='jmouton']i tell you what when i found this site i thought hmm this is a neat site and ill try it out but i tell you what ive realized i made a mistake so far all ive met is uppity people who think they know everything.
[i][b]No one here thinks they know everything, but they share what they do know to help others, its actually called being RESPONSIBLE CARING DOG OWNERS :lol: [/b][/i]

as far as the puppies go, i knew my dogs had good temperment or i wouldnt have bred her. if the people that got puppies from us ever want to get rid of them we have already told them they are to give them back to us. no my pits are not registered but it doesnt matter to me.

[i][b]How can you take back the pups when you couldnt even keep the bitch?
Your dogs not being registered may not matter to you, now that i understand, registering dogs gives then trackable history,but then that wouldnt matter to you would it :oops: [/b][/i]

you people are so caught up in making sure everything is done just this way or that way.
[i][b]Yes i suppose 99.9% of us here will agree with that statement, we all try to educate ignorance, and help them understand what is the ethical, moral and responsible way, and we all spend our free time doing that,
Why? Beacause we actually do care :cry:[/b][/i]

we bred our pit once and thats it we got eight puppies from her. where i come from it is very hard to come by pits.
[i][b] :o Yet somewhere earlier you said your new owners did not want one of the many in the pound :wink: [/b][/i]

and i dont know about any other pit owners but i know i would not want a pit unless i could raise it from a puppy around my kids. so you know what get off my butt. yes i might be ignorant to your standards of breeding and dogs,
[i][b]I can understand you wanting a puppy, there is nothing wrong in that, I was not aware anyone was on your BUTT :o ... Not everyone here breeds their dogs many have neutered dogs, but they are all aware what is igorant and what is not about breeding[/b][/i].

but i am a normal pet owner unlike yall who i guess are so caught up in preaching to everyone else who doesnt do like you.
[i][b]No you are not a normal pet owner, when you bred that litter and then traded puppies too young and then let them do to homes that worked you actually became an irresponsible BYB.[/b][/i]

this site is a joke and i dont think i will come back, it is not for everyone it is just for stuck up people who need to get a life.
[i][b]I am sure you will return a few more times, even if just to see if anything else has been written, no you are correct this site is not for everyone, some people just dont care and will not take any responsiblity for what they do or even bother to sit down and think Hey that made sense.[/b][/i]

so thats all im gonna say. as far as one of you who is an administrator this site out to be ashamed to have someone like you doing anything on it.

[i][b]If someone is an administrator, a moderator, a guest or member, they all have the right to reply to topics they feel strongly about, if you take the time to actually look through this board, you will see we do not all agree with each other, there have been many many debates that have got heated with differing views, but we all usually agree to dissagree[/b][/i]

i know my pits have good homes and thats all that matters so all you freaks can just chill out and go find someone else to badger with you stupid ideals.

[i][b]I am glad you know your pups all have good hopes at least thats something i suppose, I do find it sad that you have felt the need to started name calling and telling us to chill out, hey no problem i am well chilled :lol: [/b][/i]

you all just really p*** me off
[/quote]
[i][b]Well sometimes the truth does hurt. :roll: [/b][/i]

Guest Anonymous

[quote]we bred our pit once and thats it we got eight puppies from her.[/quote]
You already said you traded pups in hopes you could breed the mother to them. It is a shame you feel its okay to breed your unregistered pit, like I said before, there are enough currs in this world.
No one on here is pretending to or saying they know everything. BUT when you post something as ignorant as you did, most will respond with educated opinion. I, myself, breed APBTs, and do it very well. Anyone doing what you are doing is as bad as the humaniacs themselves. People like you are giving them the fuel they run off of.

[quote]i knew my dogs had good temperment or i wouldnt have bred her.[/quote]
There are other qualities that should be found in an APBT before its bred. Unfortunately, you are ignorant to these other qualities. Which, again goes to you just adding to the curr problem.

[quote]so you know what get off my butt.[/quote]
Not until you leave my breed alone! Consider me glued to your a$$. If you showed any intelligence in what you are doing no one would be on it.

[quote]you all just really p*** me off.[/quote]
I dont think you are near to the point I am with you.

One more thing, this is a GREAT place to discuss dogs BUT you have to show responsibility in the actions you take with your dogs. Everyone on here loves dogs and everyone knows about the problems with BYB. BYBs are not treated nicely here as they have nothing good to offer.

One more thing, K might be a little :silly: BUT she knows what she is talking about and happens to be a very fair moderator. (Take it from someone who had quite a few people ticked off.)