Dogomania

attack dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA OUT IN THE COUNTRY AND I WAS WANDERING IF ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT LIVES IN NC CAN TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A DOG TRAINER PLACE, AND FOR EVERY ONE OUT THERE DO I NEED A LICENSE TO BE A DOG TRAINER.

THANKS
LANCE

Well Lance, here's hoping your subject line is not what your truly looking for. BTW, I don't live in NC.
Do you want help training your own dog? Do you want to train other dogs?
If you are indeed wanting to get involved with training dogs to attack, can't and would not choose to help you there. There enough idiots in the world already taking perfectly good dogs and turning them into creatures that cannot be trusted around the general population. Lots of these dogs live very restricted lives on the end of a chain or locked in a junkyard.
So tell us what is it you REALLY want?

Guest Anonymous

Please tell me that you dont want an attack dog. Firstly do you know what that is?

An attack dog is a vicious animal usually used for warehouse guarding, they are truely vicious and designed to be that way there is only one person who ever has contact with the animal and generally they dont have control of it, they just feed and water it. The dogs WILL BITE ANYONE, regardless of age, sex, and status. They are a huge liability to own and if, God forbid, it ever did bite anyone you are going to jail for harboring a known to be dangerous animal because you trained it to be that way.

Now a personal protection dog is something totally different. These dogs are heavily trained in OB, tracking, and bitework, and the first solid year of their lives is just socialization. This is teaching your dog when to bite and when not to bite. YOu are basically attaching commands to all canine behaviors. Statistically these dogs are much less apt to bite at random because they are so tested and trained. Now if you are interested in one of these dogs you should know that it takes years in order to get a dog trained properly, and you must train in order, you DO NOT do bitework before you have completed socialization and OB. If any trainer has you doing bitework with a dog under the age of a year, be careful, they are questionable.

Do research read into protection dogs and how much time and work goes into owning one, I think you will find that if you have the time and patience its is much better and safer to own than an ATTACK DOG. :wink:

Did we not just go into this two weeks ago? K, Roo, a little help here.
Seems to me someone asked exactly the same question.
I will not answer until I know for certain that a troll is not in our midst.
Why can't people just register, I mean it takes but a moment and then we at least know that you are for real (well maybe). I ranted to the last guy about an attack dog not going to do it again. Guest if you're serious look through the old posts.

Guest Anonymous

The IP has 1 post made do it... Not the same person... Different post... We have do treat every person different because there maybe someone who comes in here and asks a viable question. We have the chance to enlighten and help people when they come here. We cannot think that everyone is a troll (although some are). We help, inform, and then if it is a troll we move on.

Well I've been ignoring this post but of course, can only do so for so long before I open my big mouth. Now of course I doubt this person is coming back...troll? I don't know. I just have to say...

Why would anyone want an attack dog? I don't understand why people want things in dogs or for their dogs that would never be logical or acceptable in other aspects of their life.

Would anyone go to a car dealer and seek out a car that say, ignites other cars that come within a certain distance? How about an alarm system than unless you put in the right code, it decapitates people as they walk in to the house?

These are just stupid inanimate objects, and yet, anyone can see what a dumb, scary, dangerous idea these would be. Now why would you want that in an animal? Not only is it still a dumb, scary, dangerous idea, but now you've lost a bit of control because you are working with a living, breathing, feeling creature.

There is no need for an "attack" dog. A barking dog is sufficient.

In that case, Lance I apologize. I'm a little jumpy lately because I take the time to write heartfelt responses to questions, do the research and genuinely care and get all of this stomped on by someone playing a joke on us.
Yes, I am still new to the forum world and I am learning.
In answer to your question;
[b]Guard Dog Service License:
Two (2) years experience within the past ten (10) years as a manager, supervisor, administrator, or dog handler with a
contract security company, proprietary security organization or a governmental agency performing guard dog functions.
[See G.S. 74C-3(a)(7), 74C-8, 74C-9, 74C-10, 12 NCAC 7D .0300].[/b]
As per North Carolina state law you must obtain a license to have any sort of affiliation with guard dogs. Please see link below for terms, conditions and requirements per North Carolina state:
[url]http://jobs.esc.state.nc.us/lmi/ar/occuplic/GuardDogSv.htm[/url]
Guard dog trainers are NOT in high demand because of the time, energy and money that needs to be put into the animals. You raise the pups from birth and nurture them and teach them. These dogs are not just "guard" dogs, they are pets and still need love and care from whoever purchases them.
Keep in mind that you will spend approximately 1-2 years raising and teaching these dogs and then you will be able to place them.
There is not a high demand for trained guard dogs as we now have the technology that will surpass that of a canine.
If you are really interested in becoming a professional trainer, seek out someone who has been in the business and has a solid reputation. Only then will you get to see what goes into training these wonderful canines.
You will also need to learn about the breeding of canines as most guard dog facilities breed their own stock in an effort to decrease genetic defaults and to increase desired traits.
I hope this helps and again I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Guest Anonymous

So true and I feel the same AND there are no "attack" dog trainers in NC.
But if Lance will respond we could find exactly what he thinks he needs a dog like this for... I find it interesting that people seem to think an "attack" dog is a cure all. Majority of the time these type of trained dogs end up with uncapable owners and massive law suits. Children fear them and owners fear for their children..I do not see that as a suitable way to live.

If I recall, Lance posted here (or maybe another forum) that his wife had purchased an attack dog and he was worried about keeping it.
The dog he posted about had been purchased from an 'attack dog trainer' and Lance or his wife had no training with this dog. blah blah blah
Troll?????????

[quote name='alicat613']
Would anyone go to a car dealer and seek out a car that say, ignites other cars that come within a certain distance? How about an alarm system than unless you put in the right code, it decapitates people as they walk in to the house?

[/quote]

I would... :oops:

(I get your point, but have to admit that these ideas are inspiring for those of us lacking in ummm social skills.)

*Disclaimer* I'm not into the whole big, scary, monster dog thing, either. Don't try this at home. Some assembly required. Tax, tag and title not included. Batteries not included. Allow 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. Keep out of reach of children. May cause drowsiness. Don't run with scissors and close the refrigerator door.

(Anyone who's known me a minute or two knows I offer these disclaimers on the off chance that my intentions, lost as they may be by now, are misunderstood. In other words, I didn't want someone to think that, though I would gladly decapitate an intruder or kaboom another car that is too close to me, I do not condone intentionally seeking out aggressive dogs. I'm funny that way.)

Thanks K, I couldn't find the thread anywhere. Must be because I was looking for the wrong name. Oh dear!! New Year, I am just so confused.
However my sentiments are the same. Who would want an attack dog???
Security system abound these days and IMHO dogs are should be our companions.

I have to speak up on this, because it is obvious that there are people who are under the wrong inpression about what an "attack dog" is. Firstly, they really should not be called "attack dogs" that would be like calling a bouncer or a security guard a psycopath. A dog that is bite trained is really considered to be Protection trained or a personal protection dog, guard dog, etc. A dog that is PROPERLY trained, is not "viscious". Dogs who do this work and are Successful are not "viscious, uncontrolable, mean, etc." It takes a certain type of temperament, one that the average dog does not have, and neves of steel, to be a proper working dog. Dogs who are viscious cannot be controlled, and uncontrollable "attack" is worthless to the handler. A dog that is viscious often has underlying behavior issues such as fear biting, fearfullness, no confidence, etc, that makes it act out in a viscious manner. These dogs are USELESS and a liability.
A properly trained and temperamented, protection dog, can be worth its weight in gold, for those owners who need that extra set of eyes. Police dogs, who are properly trained, army dogs, and personal protection dogs, are priceless to their owners.
Please do not lump, viscious with protection training...they are not even remotely the same.

Guest Anonymous

YOu have just said what e have been saying, you must have mssed a few of the early posts. We were actually trying to figure out what this guy was actually asking about.

There are attack dogs and they are usually used for warehouse guarding and junkyards, things of that nature when the dog is required to just guard without the supervision of a handler, these dogs are taught to attack anyone that enters this area, hence the name attack dogs.

We all agree that protection trained dogs are not bad and in most cases will actually react better than dogs that arent trained, just because they are exercised in these areas.

Personally I would not consider any dog, that had been "made" mean, abused. Sadly these dogs are usually useless as pets and are a menace to society. The thing is there ARE breeds that are natural guardians, that don't need a handler to tell them "when", you don't have to make a dog mean to make it a natural guardian. THese breeds need no training to know "when" and "when not" to protect. They have been used for thousands of years in pastures and palaces. These dog also do not "attack" everything, are not viscious, and are often beloved family pets.
"attack" dogs in the sense of being viscious, to me, is a dog that needs to be destroyed and the person that made them that way needs to be put in prison.

Guest Anonymous

I couldnt agree more, the problem is tat most people go out and they get these great natural guardians and then they dont socialize and they isolate and then when the dogs growl they praise it and encourage itthe dogs learn that, that behavior is what is wanted and it gets worse. These dogs are not necessarily abused in the sense of the word they are usually well cared for its just the love department that they are lacking thy dont know how to interact with anyone or anything other than their feeder. I say feeder because there are not family oriented or house dogs. THey are penned up until its time to go on duty and then released for the nigh the penned back up. They do not live a family life but that is not to say that it is cruel either. I personally believe that a good guard dog HAS to be a house dog, what can your dog rpotect in the back yard except the back yard. And a good guard dog has to be social how can it protect you if its locked in the bathroom. A good guard dog has to be trained WELL you must be able to stop ANY show of agression to anyone friend or stranger. And a good guard dog must be constatantly worked, training does not stop

I said.

"Personally I would not consider any dog, that had been "made" mean, abused."

And you said,

"Oh really. Considering the methods that are used to make these dogs mean how can you possibly NOT consider them abused?
I'd really like you to explain your rational here."

That was supposed to be
Personally I would consider any dog, that had been "made" mean, abused

The NOT was NOT supposed to have been there...
Sorry about that...

I would consider any dog, made mean, and abused dog.... Sorry for the confusion.