Dogomania

piebald boxers

Guest Anonymous

Good question! (where is Hobbit when we need him??? :wink: )As far as I know (and I don't claim to know a whole lot about color genetics) the piebald gene is what causes extreme white markings on Boxers.....ie all-white Boxers and Checks :

" White "

This is NOT an albino. A white Boxer is all white or they may even have patches of fawn or brindle of one or more places; ears, around eyes, top of head, on the back or even the base of the tail, but rarely on the side of the body and no more than 1/3 (which is fairly much). [b]The color is called extreme piebald spotting.[/b] The genetics is sw sw. This color is the only permitted color in breeds such as Sealyham Terriers and Great Pyrenees and is a common color in English Setters. The white Boxer does not have the typical black mask.

" Check "

This is a term for a brindle or fawn dog with approximently 1/3 - 2/3 white. The white will be on the same places as on a flashy Boxer, but to a greater extent. They may have white on the thighs going all the way across the back, or white collar that goes over on the shoulders and back or across the forehead to meet the white on the face. It may even be that the colored patch on the back resembles a saddle with white all around it. [b]This color is called piebald spotting[/b] and is found in other breeds such as Saint Bernard and Beagle. The genetics is sp sp or si sw. The si gene may have been found in historical Boxers, but is probably extinct now. If there were born several check Boxers from one sire or dam, this could be an indication of its existence however.

the above info is courtesy of: [url]http://amysboxers.8m.com/about.html[/url]

Hope this sheds a LITTLE light.... :D

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all your help:) my brother has a all white boxer with one blue eye and one eye my vet says is a glass eye its kinda light blue but cloudy . he is larger then any boxer i have ever seen and has huge ears .he is only 9 months old and is bigger then both his mom & his dad lol
im not sure how to post a picture on here can you help me so you can see what he looks like?

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all your help:) my brother has a all white boxer with one blue eye and one eye my vet says is a glass eye its kinda light blue but cloudy . he is larger then any boxer i have ever seen and has huge ears .he is only 9 months old and is bigger then both his mom & his dad lol
im not sure how to post a picture on here can you help me so you can see what he looks like?

By the way...welcome to the board,Athena :D ...that username sounds familiar,have you posted here before? You should think about registering as a member so that you have access to all areas of the forum!....we're a pretty friendly and informative bunch here :wink:
I would love to see a pic of your brother's Boxer! You know I'm not sure if its true with all white Boxers,but most of the ones I've met have been oversized (makes for a pretty hefty lap dog :lol: ).Is this the first Boxer in the family,or does your brother own the parents too?
I'd be happy to help you post a pic....first off it has to be already hosted on a website....then all you have to do is post the pic url surrounded by image tags(making sure to take out all the spaces)
for example:
[img]http://post pic url here[/img]

for a better explanation check out the "Pictures" section of the forum...there is a tutorial there all about posting pics.

If you don't already have your pic hosted online you could post it at any pic hosting site (there are lots of free ones) a lot of people on here use [url]http://www.villagephotos.com[/url]

If you read all this and still are having problems, feel free to email pics to me and I'll post them for you :D ( [email][email protected][/email] )

Good luck!

[quote name='Hobbit']Village photos are a little weird. If you post your pictures, they disappear --- if you are using Village Photos.[/quote]

that is very true Hobbit.....they only give you a 5 MB daily bandwidth limit,and once you use it up they freeze the acct til the next day....does anyone know of any other good pic hosting sites?? I use webshots for my online album...but they're a little stingy with bandwidth too....

[quote name='Hobbit']Corgilady --- you MUST see this website! Go to: [url]http://www.steynmere.com/index.html[/url]

then click on "genetics", then click on Part 1.[/quote]

:o :o :o ....now...I have seen it all :o

Would those pups be considered "Borgis"...or "Coxers" ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Smooshie'][quote name='Hobbit']Village photos are a little weird. If you post your pictures, they disappear --- if you are using Village Photos.[/quote]

that is very true Hobbit.....they only give you a 5 MB daily bandwidth limit,and once you use it up they freeze the acct til the next day....does anyone know of any other good pic hosting sites?? I use webshots for my online album...but they're a little stingy with bandwidth too....[/quote]

I use MSN Groups. There is no time limit for leaving your pictures up. You start your own "group" and put your pictures there. It also comes with your own personal message board and you can add pages and calendars and stuff, but I just use mine for putting up pictures and posting a few stories. I don't really maintain it except to edit photos once in a while. It's free, too.

I like "Coxers". What about, "Corbo's"? Borgis is cute, too.

I use Yahoo photos. It has the same as MSN, and it's free, too. It has a lots of space and is user friendly.

Getting back to the question at hand: Athena, please tell me what color the parents are?

The only complaint I would see with a white Boxer is the related health problems --- SUNBURN >> cancer; deafness; blindness and then breeding this animal and passing these very undesirable qualities onto the offspring.

The rescue in Dallas, Texas reported that something like 75% of the white Boxers that were/are in rescue were/are deaf.

The white is a recessive gene and both colored parents must be carriers, or it could be a mutated gene. When breeding two white's together, the offspring will all be white. I just see loads of problems.

From what I understand,there are 3 breeding combinations that produce white boxer pups:

white to white-of course produces 100%white pups (as Hobbit stated)

white to flashy-produces 50%flashy pups/50%white pups

flashy to flashy-produces 25%plain/50%flashy/25%white pups.

I'm with Hobbit...white Boxers should never be bred... aside from the fact that it is against breed standard and therefore not a betterment to the breed to intentionally try for white pups,they DO have a higher risk of hearing and sight impairment.
Unfortunately some unethical breeders and pet stores try to pass them off as "rare" and sell them at a higher price to unknowledgable buyers . When in fact,I believe the current statistic is that 20% of Boxers are born white (hardly "rare" :roll: ). That is why it is SO important to do your homework when it comes to choosing a puppy.KNOW the breed you're interested in,so that you don't get "taken".
Now with all that said...a Boxer is a Boxer and the whites still make beautiful, wonderful pets,and I think that the ones that ARE born should be sold as just that...PETS...with a spay/neuter contract....JMHO :-?

This is a great resource for anyone who owns or is interested in learning more about white Boxers...

[url]http://ladywind.com/bxrpages/whitepgs.html[/url]

Its interesting to note that the foundation Bitch:"Meta Von Der Passage",considered"mother of the Boxer breed" was white...

[img]http://ladywind.com/bxrpages/bxrbeginimages/meta.jpg[/img]

pic courtesy of "the whitepages"

Guest Anonymous

my brother hasd both the mom and dad to thor the white male he loves boxers .and takes very good care of all his dogs :) he has about 3 pair of them that he breeds only once every two years ,thats where i got my female she is almost all fawn with a little white (athena)
thank you all for your help i will get some pictures of them on here soon :)
athena .

I do not understand why they used Corgis for a bob tail. Corgi pups CAN have a naturally bobbed tail, but the majority of them have REAL TAILS. I will post you a pic of Fella's gorgeous tail. He is a purebred Corgi from champion lines, and would be AKC reg. if I had bothered :lol: and docked his tail. It is furry with a white tip. He likes his tail and is very cocky about it.

Of the breeders I know (Corgi breeders I mean) I only know ONE who has ever had pups with bob tails. She said about 2 out of 5 have the natural bob....only in ONE of her lines.

anyway....thanks for the link Hobbit....borgis indeed....ya learn somethin' new every day!

HI athena,

why does your brother breed?

How old is he and is he responsible?

Is he a regisered breeder?

what do you do to the pups if they don't find homes?

do you dock thier tails?

Do you take them to the vet for checkups?

do you give them earily socialization???(VERY important)

WHY does he want to breed?

will he breed the one with the "glass" eye?(not good)...........

just SOME things you need to think of be4 breeding+ can we have the answrs to my Q plz?

And piccies?

Thanx

Rowie-the-pooh :lol:

[quote name='corgilady']I do not understand why they used Corgis for a bob tail. Corgi pups CAN have a naturally bobbed tail, but the majority of them have REAL TAILS. I will post you a pic of Fella's gorgeous tail. He is a purebred Corgi from champion lines, and would be AKC reg. if I had bothered :lol: and docked his tail. It is furry with a white tip. He likes his tail and is very cocky about it.

Of the breeders I know (Corgi breeders I mean) I only know ONE who has ever had pups with bob tails. She said about 2 out of 5 have the natural bob....only in ONE of her lines.

anyway....thanks for the link Hobbit....borgis indeed....ya learn somethin' new every day![/quote]

You are welcome. I guess he should also cross the Boxers with Australian Shepherds, because some of them have naturally bob-tailed. :wink:

Does anyone think this guy is actually breeding bob tail boxers or is it all just a con?
At first I believed it but then I got thinking about all the cons etc of breeding and how you can put anything on the net and some idiots will believe it. He could sell these pups for 3 or even 4 times the going value for boxers just because he has a good story to say they were born without a tail. How did he manage to cross a dog with a full tail with one that only SOMETIMES is born without a tail, to the extent where he has this dog that looks EXACTLY like a boxer but with a bob tail?
Even if he did, he mentiond that he entered one of the offspring in a show... these dogs could NOT be pedigrees, so how did he enter her in a show?
It just doesn't quite add up for me... :fadein:

[quote name='Aroura']Does anyone think this guy is actually breeding bob tail boxers or is it all just a con?
At first I believed it but then I got thinking about all the cons etc of breeding and how you can put anything on the net and some idiots will believe it. He could sell these pups for 3 or even 4 times the going value for boxers just because he has a good story to say they were born without a tail. How did he manage to cross a dog with a full tail with one that only SOMETIMES is born without a tail, to the extent where he has this dog that looks EXACTLY like a boxer but with a bob tail?
Even if he did, he mentiond that he entered one of the offspring in a show... these dogs could NOT be pedigrees, so how did he enter her in a show?
It just doesn't quite add up for me... :fadein:[/quote]

I never thought of that! :o At one stage though, I though "This means these dogs are NOT pedigrees....? Whats goi'n on?"

Anyone else notice this too? :-?