Dogomania

BARF, To Be or NOT to Be?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D it's not your fault, K, it's the GLUE.....it crawls or something..... I was gluing a violin bow back together for a student when I discovered that the back side of the superglue had burst open....so all my squeezing was causing it to run down the back of my hand. My daughter's friend was here, her dad is a plastic surgeon, so she called him for help :oops: :oops: :oops: even though I used the chemical he told me to, I basically had no skin on that hand for awhile.

[size=2]i hate superglue![/size]

[quote name='roo']:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

pleeeeeeeze K tell us we WILL
understand :P
We will not LAUGH

Promise :roll:

Roo[/quote]

We? Um.....does this include me?

Promise? Um.....again, does this include me?

[size=2]Not laughing......not laughing......not laughing......not laughing......[/size]

K have you thought of councelling(sp)

I can understand the trauma you went thru :lol: :D

no not laughing :(

Hobbit what is this about mouthwash and nose blowing :o

Roo

[quote name='roo']K have you thought of councelling(sp)

I can understand the trauma you went thru :lol: :D

no not laughing :(

Hobbit what is this about mouthwash and nose blowing :o

Roo[/quote]

Well, I am no longer allowed to use mouthwash unsupervised!

One morning, after brushing my teeth, I took a big'ol mouth of LISTERINE (diluted) mouthwash and was just swishing and swishing....huming my favorite tune, just happy...happy...happy.... then, I thought, "hum, I'll just blow my nose while I'm at it". WRONG decision!! When I blew, still happily swishing --- it forced the LISTERINE into my sinus cavities. Oh dear Lord, the fires of he!! have descended upon me! I think I thrashed around on the floor for about 5 minutes before I could collect my composer. Then....I thought damn this BURNS and decided to suck water into the sinus cavities to stop the excruciating burn. About a second into the suck, I realized that most of the water was also going into my lungs ----- oh goody, now I've drowned myself. The extreme coughing caused me to vomit profusely thus spewing LISTERINE laced eggs and toast ALL OVER the bathroom, including on, but not limited to the wall, sink, toilet and bathtub. Total mess.

Okay, so I didn't want to admit my total lack of any form of intelligence...so I stayed home and cleaned the entire bathroom, including the ceiling!

I did have to fess up when my nose kept bleeding later in the day. Did I get any sympathy at all? NO. Not one tiny ouce of sympathy --- ONLY grounded from using the mouthwash unless supervised! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

OH MY! Both stories....can I say?

K, you were afraid of being laughed at. I will not laugh at you. I am smiling like crazy though.

Hobbit, you said nothing about being laughed at (that I recall) so I am laughing...not at YOU but at your story.

OK. My butt's been covered.

[quote name='Jacsmom'][color=blue][size=6]Love ya'll[/color][/size] :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew it would get Sash but did know bout Carol...someone else once stood on the side of a shower.......(memory lapse)[/quote]

Hehe, that was me :oops:
I'd heard it before though, I'm telling you though, the thought of not sleeping did cross my mind!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura'][quote name='Jacsmom'][color=blue][size=6]Love ya'll[/color][/size] :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew it would get Sash but did know bout Carol...someone else once stood on the side of a shower.......(memory lapse)[/quote]

Hehe, that was me :oops:
I'd heard it before though, I'm telling you though, the thought of not sleeping did cross my mind!!![/quote]

I knew someone did the shower thing!! :) (stood on the side!) You will have to sleep sometime!! :D

[quote name='sashagirl']And Hobbit, what the h*** were you thinking??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Thinking? Um......not much, huh!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, I really just thought that I could do two things at once.....[size=2]knowing very well that I can't.[/size]

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']Where's Aroura when you need her? :lol:

[size=6][color=green][b]CALLING AROURA![/b][/color][/size][/quote]

[color=darkred][size=7]HERE I AM!!!!!![/size][/color]

My internet hours have been VERY limited lately, havn't been able to keep up and just spent the past few hours reading this post!!!!!

Well, lets see... my take on the situation is that everything has its ups and downs and that nothing is 100% safe.... so, what do we do? Well I guess the best way to know your not feeding your dog the wrong things is simply not feed it at all!!!!

Yeah, sure, feeding raw has its dangers, but they are slim and provided you take the proper precautions it is extremely unlikely that anything will go wrong and you will have a nice happy, healthy long lived buddy for many years to come. You know exactly whats going into your dog and can add/take out certain foods where necissarry - tailer the diet to suit the individual dogs needs eg newfimom and her allergy dog :wink:

Personally, for every negative I have read/heard on BARF I have learned of a million reasons not to feed commercial food. For the few small, biased studys that show problems with BARF there has been plenty more studys etc to say that commercial food is NOT the way to go.

You can choose to beleive which ever side of the story and listen to which ever studys you wish, but just keep in mind - the pet food industry is a multi billion dollar industry, they can spen millions to do these one sided studys that come up with little evidence that kibble is best. Most of these studys are conducted on statistics from dogs that have gone to the vets sick and have been ill due to the feeding of raw foods. Where are the studys that have been properly researched? Controlled studys that show the benifits and downfalls of feeding commercial food v's BARF? Studys done with thousands of dogs, some fed on commercial foods, others fed on a BARF diet with all the necissarry sanitising done? There seems to be alot of studys thrown around about maybe ten dogs, out of the millions of dogs fed on BARF each day, that get ill.

As I said before, the pet food industry is a multi billion dollar industry, they can afford to conduct these one sided studys, who's going to pay for studys that show the real benefits of BARF? Thats why I have spent the past few hours looking up studys on BARF and havn't found a thing, not because it is dangerous or deadly, but simply because no one has spent the time or money to do one of these studys.

Gordon, I hope you come back and join the conversation again, I found all that you had to say extremely interesting!

Hobbit, I'm sorry but not at one point did I see that Gordon was having a go at you, all I could see is her taking her years of research and experiences and applying them to what people have said. She was probably questioning things to sort things out in her own mind, when you've spent that much time researching something you tend to question things if they pop up and contradict what you have spent your whole life studying, I know this because my dads a scientist and anything that sounds a bit strange to him he will spend weeks trying to find out the whole story etc if he has to.

Horsefeathers does have a point though, BARF very well may not be for all dogs, some dogs don't have as strong an immune system as others, so I can see your point too. One question though, you say you supplement your dogs diet with cooked meat, do you also supplement with Veggies? And if you do, do you cook them or feed them raw? Just curious....

Rowie, I was thinking exactly the same thing about the original poster (after spending so much time reading this thread you'd think I'd remember their name!!!). I remember reading just the other day "what is BARF" and now, from the same poster they are claiming to have all this research etc behind them, how can you so quickly learn so much, and at the same time keep an open mind to both sides of the story??? She says she has an open mind, but it has been obvious from the start that she refuses to see anyone else's point of view, and accuses people of not answering her questions when really the answers are there but she just chooses to see the ones she wants to hear.

Oh, and Jacksmom, its alright, I do sleep!!!! I just keep my mouth closed....
Something bit my bum this morning, don't know if it was a spider but just the thought that it *might* be a spider that *may* be in my pants made me jump so high and quicker than the speed of light I'd stripped off my pants right down to my skimpy g-string right in the middle of my friends house with people watching!!! I didn't even realise it until I was standing right in the middle of the room, pants thrown into the corner, screaming and people asking me whats the matter and I was just sceaming "something bit my bum!!!! can you see a spider??!!!" Nope, not even a spider!!! I was just paraniod!!! Turns out I just got a little prik in the butt :wink:

[quote name='Aroura'][quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']Where's Aroura when you need her? :lol:

[size=6][color=green][b]CALLING AROURA![/b][/color][/size][/quote]

Horsefeathers does have a point though, BARF very well may not be for all dogs, some dogs don't have as strong an immune system as others, so I can see your point too. One question though, you say you supplement your dogs diet with cooked meat, do you also supplement with Veggies? And if you do, do you cook them or feed them raw? Just curious....

[/quote]

No, Aurora, not just cooked meat. A cooked [u]diet[/u]. I do not believe dogs are strictly carnivorous and needing mostly meat (protein) to be healthy (actually, too much protein is UNhealthy), so I don't just give them cooked meat. What I give them in regard to diet other than Wellness is pretty much the same stuff I eat sans the obvious no-no's.

I also have to say this, or I'll burst. You're dead wrong about it only being a SMALL number of dogs who get sick, or injured, from BARF. If you can show me this from an objective source, I'll take it into consideration (please nothing from a BARF source... that would make it biased). I also have recently been seeing where several dogs have become ill from LONGTERM use of this diet. Immune disorders, major organ failures, etc. from folks who meant well and followed the sites and books instead of seeking [b]objective[/b] advice. I just don't get what you mean about biased studies. I'm looking for objectivity here.

Again, BARF sites are not objective. They're there to promote the diet, NOT to take outside research into consideration. That is not objective. Also, I know that there are now many variations of "BARF" out there now and everyone is sure that theirs is the right one. Just the way that all commercial diets are not the same, all BARF diets are not the same. I'll just leave it at that.

It just breaks my heart that so many well meaning folks take the BARF proponents at their word instead of doing [u]objective[/u] research. It's out there and it isn't just a small number of dogs getting ill and injured. I was made to feel like I was in such a small minority with my dog until I learned otherwise and, believe me, it's not the BARF folks who will tell you otherwise. Again, I am not trying to influence anyone to do anything except to DO THE HOMEWORK OBJECTIVELY, not just follow the BARF sites and books.

If it HAS to be fed raw, I think Newfiemom is the only one here well read and well researched enough to pull it off successfully and even she avoids the bones.

Sorry. :(

[b][i]"Hobbit, I'm sorry but not at one point did I see that Gordon was having a go at you, all I could see is her taking her years of research and experiences and applying them to what people have said. She was probably questioning things to sort things out in her own mind, when you've spent that much time researching something you tend to question things if they pop up and contradict what you have spent your whole life studying, I know this because my dads a scientist and anything that sounds a bit strange to him he will spend weeks trying to find out the whole story etc if he has to". [/i][/b]

Why is this being brought BACK up? I stick by my posts and would rather NOT have to go back into it. I, TOO, have done years of research....never mind...I am NOT going into this, AGAIN.