Dogomania

BARF, To Be or NOT to Be?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K'][size=2]Am I talking to myself here? [/size]:([/quote]

Nope, not talking to yourself. I was willing to let it go, but she just will not stop. OKAY GORDONMOM --- YOU ARE RIGHT...YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR POINT THAT I AM IGNORANT. I will let you win, you've won.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jacsmom']Hobbit your female got E coli from a water source right?

So was it the Entoameoba coli ?

It is a question not meant for any other purpose....[/quote]

[b][color=blue]I found the pathology report:

Accession#: C010380178
M.C. Libal, MA, DVM, DACVM/lak

Date completed: 02/14/01

Isolate: Hemolytic Escherichia coli
Negative Culture Salmonella
Negative Culture C1. perfringens

Hemolytic Escherichia coli is a complication associated with Escherichia coli (E. coli) 0157:H7.

It also lists the Antimicrobial information if anyone is interested in the sensitivity, intermediate or resisitance to the medicines. [/color][/b]

Guest Anonymous

Hobbit please do not take me as being an a** or anything... I find this all interesting and informing... (I didn't need a path. report just your answer will do! :wink: )

I found this bit on info....See what you think...I know it says humans but I am not done looking.... :wink:

Escherichia coli is the predominant, facultative anaerobe of the human intestine. [u]Beneficial strains of E. coli typically colonize the infant gastrointestinal tract within a few hours after birth. The presence of this bacterial population in the intestine suppresses the growth of harmful bacteria and is important for synthesizing appreciable amounts of B vitamins. E. coli usually remains harmless when confined to the intestinal lumen. However, in debilitated or immuno-suppressed humans, or when gastrointestinal barriers are violated, even normal, "non-pathogenic" strains of E. coli can cause infection [/u](2, 5, 9, 10).

It is also known that some E. coli strains have developed the ability to cause disease of the gastrointestinal, urinary, or central nervous system in even very healthy people. Strains of E. coli that cause diarrhea include strains that cause traveler's diarrhea (enterotoxigenic E. coli), persistent diarrhea (enteroaggregative E. coli), watery diarrhea of infants (enteropathogenic E. coli), hemorrhagic colitis (bloody diarrhea), and hemolytic uremic syndrome (enterohemorrhagic E. coli) (2, 5, 8, 10).

Hobbit,
just to let you know, I think you are a fricken genius I've learned SO MUCH sense you joined this board! I just want you to know you are appreciated, respected and valued emensily as a part of this group. I have really enjoyed this last thread as we have yet to see you get stirred up. I think you were great, you were completely composed for the duration of your debate and I felt you gave Gordon all the credit you could have and handled her quite well. You never sank to petty name calling or blatent insults of intellegance. So in the words of Mike Tyson from his last fight "I really take my hand off to you" :D

[quote name='Jacsmom']Hobbit please do not take me as being an a** or anything... I find this all interesting and informing... (I didn't need a path. report just your answer will do! :wink: )

I found this bit on info....See what you think...I know it says humans but I am not done looking.... :wink:

Escherichia coli is the predominant, facultative anaerobe of the human intestine. [u]Beneficial strains of E. coli typically colonize the infant gastrointestinal tract within a few hours after birth. The presence of this bacterial population in the intestine suppresses the growth of harmful bacteria and is important for synthesizing appreciable amounts of B vitamins. E. coli usually remains harmless when confined to the intestinal lumen. However, in debilitated or immuno-suppressed humans, or when gastrointestinal barriers are violated, even normal, "non-pathogenic" strains of E. coli can cause infection [/u](2, 5, 9, 10).

It is also known that some E. coli strains have developed the ability to cause disease of the gastrointestinal, urinary, or central nervous system in even very healthy people. Strains of E. coli that cause diarrhea include strains that cause traveler's diarrhea (enterotoxigenic E. coli), persistent diarrhea (enteroaggregative E. coli), watery diarrhea of infants (enteropathogenic E. coli), hemorrhagic colitis (bloody diarrhea), and hemolytic uremic syndrome (enterohemorrhagic E. coli) (2, 5, 8, 10).[/quote]

Thanks Jacsmom. I posted the path report for everyone to see. Didn't mean to make you think I was snippy.

Did you get a chance to read the post about the Greyhounds being used? It is quite interesting. Also, TX A&M, Kansas State and some others (can't recall the Univ name) are doing studies to enhance the immuno-ability in the gut of newborns (human and animals). I would be interested to read this as I assisted on a research study where Probiotics were given to new born calves -vs- no Probiotics given. The ones that received the Probiotics were healthier and gained faster.

[quote name='deepseasnake']Hobbit,
just to let you know, I think you are a fricken genius I've learned SO MUCH sense you joined this board! I just want you to know you are appreciated, respected and valued emensily as a part of this group. I have really enjoyed this last thread as we have yet to see you get stirred up. I think you were great, you were completely composed for the duration of your debate and I felt you gave Gordon all the credit you could have and handled her quite well. You never sank to petty name calling or blatent insults of intellegance. So in the words of Mike Tyson from his last fight "I really take my hand off to you" :D[/quote]

Thanks, not a genius by any means. I have learned alot from other posters here as well....and I mean alot.

We all have valuable information to give to each other, all of our knowledge fits together like a puzzle and makes the whole picture complete. Unfortunately, ego's, opinions, personalities, characteristics...get in the way sometimes of completing that picture, mine included and for that I appologize.

I have a leetle tiny question. Least I hope its leetle and tiny. Just out of curiosity, fed a dog raw chicken necks that had been hard frozen, thawed in fridge, dipped in boiling water briefly. Oh yes, dog had had raw chicken before with no problems seen. Dog crunched and munched his way through 2-3 chicken necks. Smacked his lips and wanted more. Did not get more. Other two dogs also had some chicken necks. 9-10 HOURS later 1st dog vomited partially digested chicken necks behind couch. YUM. Still (barely) recognizable as chicken necks. Other two dogs fine and very interested in what dog#1 was 'throwing away'. Tried giving dog raw chicken necks the following week, same result.
I always thought dog digestion was quicker than that. Any ideas why this happened so long afterwards? BTW, dogs no longer get raw chicken at all.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Hobbit has PIZZLE on the brain!![/quote]

EVERYONE [color=red]loves [/color]a PIZZLE! Boy did I open a GOOD can of worms with that one! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Hi All :)

I'm new here and I must say I found this topic pretty compelling, for starters! I am very interested in this whole topic of BARF diets and have also been trying to read all I can lately on canine nutrition. I currently have a spayed Beagle who is on Waltham Calorie Control and doing very well on it (she used to be a little porker!). I will be getting a Rottweiler puppy in about 5 or 6 weeks' time. BARF seems to be very popular amongst the Rottie crowd right now. I thought jcbrooke3's post was meant to generate a healthy debate on this issue but I was disappointed to see things deteriorate rapidly into personal attacks and rather mean-spirited discourse :agrue:

What I've noticed since I've been doing my own research into BARF is that people seem to be either totally for it or completely against it. Those who are for it don't want to hear anything negative about it, and that makes me wonder why? I know that everyone wants to feed their dogs a healthy diet. No one would deliberately want to do anything to make their dogs sick. No one diet is going to be perfect for every single dog. I work in a vet clinic (PT), and we have had dogs who have had to have abdominal surgery for bone impactions (had one last week in fact). We also recently did a dental cleaning on a 2 year old husky who had terrible teeth, and had been fed raw food exclusively. This is only anecdotal and not scientific, but so far, I'm thinking this BARF diet is basically a fad, not backed up by any real scientific longterm studies.

Ok, I'll duck now! :D

Oh, Lordy! You went there! DUCK!!

I mean, welcome. :roll:

Errr... uhhh... will say this as delicately as I can, so that I don't offend anyone. Bought books, read sites, joined lists, followed to the extreme, dog got sick from salmonella.

Basically, it's all I have TRIED to say from the beginning.

I'd better offer a disclaimer. I am not a scientist. Don't try this at home. Some assemby required. Tax, tag and title not included. See store for details. Only at participating locations. FDIC insured. Batteries not included. For external use only; avoid contact with eyes.

NOW maybe no one will become enraged for simply stating that MY dog got sick. :x

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Bought books, read sites, joined lists, followed to the extreme, dog got sick from salmonella.

Basically, it's all I have TRIED to say from the beginning.
[/quote]

I know, and thanks for saying it : ) Thanks for the welcome too! :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I am in the process of doing some research to see what kind of scientific evidence does support the advantages of a raw diet.[/quote]

Great! I'm glad to hear your dog is doing so well on a raw diet. I'd be very interested in any studies that you might find that support the advantages of a raw diet. I hope you will post the info here. Thanks :)

:o :D Hi all! Remind me not to work all around the clock and miss so many pages!

Welcome msptato....is that like mrs. potato head? or what?

went to petsmart today....hunted for pizzle.....got tickled & had to leave! :lol: :lol: :lol:

why don't you guys start a NEW THREAD? why don't you call it.....[size=2]pizzle.[/size]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img][img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome, corgilady :D Msptato is/was a character of Dave Barry's in his "Dave Barry in Cyberspace" book. Quite a funny satire on chat rooms....at least, I *thought* it was a satire! :lol:

I think one of the things that really got us screwed up was the belief that ANYTHING is for EVERYONE
for every dog that doesnt do good on BARF there is one that cant eat kibble its just a differant way of doing things.
ANYONE who says BARF is for EVERY dog is just plain ignant and needs to get edjumakatid

nothing works for everybody! I happen to love the BARF idea I'm not a scientist and not a nutritionist but it makes sense to me and sounds good, but if my dog has a problem with it, FORGET it!!!!

I do think it is a case of each to their own here.
Also this is a (almost) worldwide board.
Dog foods that are made and sold in the USA are not always the same as
foods puchased in other countries.
For example i do know that Pedigree Complete (pal in some countries)
is made in the uk, So is advance formula.
But What you buy in the USA is more than likely made over there.
The UK has different and stricter laws on what goes into dog food, than
the USA.
I Also know that all the ingredients of the pedigree foods made in the UK
are FIT FOR HUMAN COMSUMPTION.

My personal opinion is to leave it to the experts, they spent so much
doing research, and feeding trials. ( i have done quite a few feeding
trials over the years)
I also think if you have found a food that suits, fine,

To be honest with you i think barf is ok for the people who do it properly,
and if it works for them fine. but everyone has the right to choose what and how they feed their dogs.
I also would like to see some true results into BARF.
But i am sticking with food i get on with.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote="corgilady
went to petsmart today....hunted for pizzle.....got tickled & had to leave! :lol: :lol: :lol:

why don't you guys start a NEW THREAD? why don't you call it.....[size=2]pizzle.[/size]

Corgi, they are called BULLY STICKS at PetCo, maybe if you look under that? They are sold individually, not packaged.....maybe that will help you find them! :wink:

[img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img][img]http://www.geocities.com/maniacdoglovers/dance.gif[/img][/quote]