Dogomania

Are dogs color blind?

Crystal

I know I've heard that they are, but I've also heard different. I only ask because we have a swing set and it is all green except for the baby swing which is red. Toby loves it and he pushes it, even with no baby in it. He likes it alot. I didn't know if against all the green outside it just stands out or what. So now I am wondering if dogs see color, I've read things that contridict one another. Does anyone know?

I believe dogs are color blind - kind of like my brother in law who is missing the ability to see green, etc. He can tell the difference between the colors, but just can't perceive them as we can.

I often wonder what a sunset looks like to him...or a gloriously green lawn. What do dogs see? Or is what they smell far more important? Our noses are terribly ineffectual from a dog's point of view!

I tried asking Ben, but he's not talking! 8)

from what I understand, they are color blind by our standards. they may be able to see some form of color (as opposed to all black and white) but they cant see in "shades"...does that make sense? also, red in a black and white world tends to stand out. its not as bright as white, or yellow, and not as drab as blue, or grey. its somewhere in the middle....

Yeah, there's different severities and types of color blindness and as such I do believe that dogs are color blind by our standards. Instead of going through some cumbersome explaination here's a good web page that summarizes color blindness: [url]http://colorvisiontesting.com/color2.htm[/url]

And here's a neat page that shows how things might look to someone who is color blind: [url]http://colorvisiontesting.com/what%20colorblind%20people%20see.htm[/url]

A look at an animal's functionality is a good judge of how well it can see. Being predators, I'm certain that dogs do see color fairly well. Even though a dog's smell is it's most important sense, it is used primarily for locating prey (and social purposes), most predators need to have decent eyesight with which to home in on prey during the chase/strike. Predators such as canines who attack prey larger than themselves need to have particularly good eyesight with which to feint and dodge if said prey animal turns on it's hunter.

Animals who rely primarily on vision during their day to day functions such as birds and lizards have superior vision and color sense. To these animals humans would be the ones who are colorblind, it's all relative. So I would therorize that are as colorblind to us as we would be to a bird.

Also I fairly recently read a short article somewhere that a study of dog's eyes is showing that some breeds see differently than others. Dogs with a brachiocephalic skull have eyes that are geared more toward seeing detain, while those with a more elongate skull are more keyed in to seeing movement. Given that, it wouldn't surprise me that some dogs see better than others, including color, even though the differences are probably slight at best. I do know that Zoey can see things (small insects, things in the distance) that China doesn't seem to, and China tends to detect noises and smells better/sooner than Zoey can.

Oh and if anyone is curious, here's a basic color test here: [url]http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabotage/vision_sabotage.asp[/url]

:lol: Canis erectus, great post and thanks. Oh love the color test by the way. :lol:

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents. Toby is really geared towards red. So maybe, who knows. I'd ask him, but he'd just bark at me. I guess it is possible that different dogs see differently.

Oh you said chinchillas. Great. I love those little fur balls. I tried to talk hubby into one years ago. Just wondering, how are they as pets? Hubby said they seemed boring. Not saying I would get one, but maybe way off in the future if I considered it. They are just so funny. I love watching them take there dust bath. Silly creatures.

AWWWWWWW. Tell me did you have any trouble having him out in the house? I'm sorry so many questions. I've always been interested with the little things. Are they fairly smart? Did he listen like a dog or ignore yau like alot of c@ts do? Again sorry if my questions are driving you silly.

it becomes even more complicated in hounds, as I have been learning..
(Laurel is a study all onto herself.... :lol: )

sighthounds see some differences in color, because they are bred to sight. scenthounds do not. Laurel is color blind, sees only in black and white. but her nose makes up for it. she only needs to see that the prey she is tracking is moving, and that prey is determined by scent, not sight.
she will chase that prey by scent, whether she can see it or not is irrelevant. bloodhounds are also color blind, and depend on scent for everything they are tracking. they dont have to see it move, they will follow it by scent alone (and like Laurel, bay their fool heads off. would any of US like to know there was a bloodhound, baying at our scent, following us? and that they could follow us on scent that was DAYS old?)

I think what they were originally bred for may make all the difference...

Laurel, after retirement from hunting, was bred to EAT... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are not completly color-blind. they can see some colors like red,blue,green,ect.
I know this because I taught my eskimo dog to retrieve red objects & blue objects.It's cool,I say"Kiki,red cup" or something like that!She's so smart!I love my dog!!!

OOPS I forgot about this thread.

GIGI, I wasn't ignoring your last post, I just got lost. Ok so chin's roaming the house sounds like a big fat no no. I don't have enough energy for that. Sounds like to much work. They are adorable though.