Dogomania

Talk about mixed up.........

imported_Debbie

let me try and help. when man first started purebreeding dogs, it wasnt for looks so much as it was for what the dog could do. now understand that means that not all collies had the same head structure, the same gait, the same coat, as other collies. at the time, they were breeding for a dog that could do a job. not be just a pretty face. inbreeding and linebreeding was not as common, because the took dogs that had the physical skills and stamina needed to do the job. looks were secondary at best. they tried to perfect the breed by breeding with other types of dogs that gave an advantage at those work skills.

today, there are still very few places where the dogs really work. there are still sheep herders, and cattle drivers, and I can guarantee they dont give a rats a$$ how the dog looks, as long as it performs. i can say this with certainty after adopting Laurel. purebred Foxhound. bred to hunt, not show. the hunt club didnt care what she looked like, and to a show person she would be considered ugly. her eyes are sad. her coat is not perfectly tri-colored. she has dew claws. and she could outrun, outhunt and outpace and show foxhound on the planet. I have had this argument
with other forums, who said their show hounds were never bred to hunt.
I asked them did they run? they said yes. I sent them pictures of Laurel
doing sprints, literally sprints, through my backyard, so fast I couldnt capture them on a still camera without blurring. every one of them backed down.

I dont have a problem with keeping a dog up to breed standards, but it really doesnt require inbreeding or linebreeding. in my opinion that closes the funnel ont he gene pool, and that is BAD for dogs. the rules are too strict in the show world. IMO

[quote]As far as Thoughbreds and Standard breds I think they are just plan high strung. Just my opinion, as I said before I aint no expert Im just telling it as I reads it [/quote]

Just to let you know that I have a Thoroughbred gelding, and he's the most laid-back, well-behaved horse I've ever had! And he was a race horse when he was 3 years old too!

But I did have another Thoroughbred gelding (who was a jumper) about 10 years ago, and he was pretty hot, but he was a blast to ride!

[quote]I'm sorry, but all your posts along these lines sound like sloppy, choppy, regurgiations of Cassie's numerous "purebred mongrel" posts. Those arguments certainly have valid basis, but they shouldn't be taken to extremes. You've said "What do you call a mixture of a German Pinscher, Rottweiler, Manchester Terrier and Greyhound = a Doberman Pinscher" so [/quote]
Those posts by Cassie, Courtnek and another poster here are what got me interested in reading on this subject. I never even thought of it before, I just thought the same way you did. I am just concerned about dogs I am not saying I really know what Im talking about I just did some reading by experts in the feild of genetics. Purebred dog breeders (most) have not done years of studies on genetics. The websites I am reading have done a lot of study on genetics.
If your interested you can read this website. It will be interesting in the years ahead to see what happens with dog breeding.
[url]http://www.netpets.com/dogs/reference/genetics/bragg.html[/url]

BTW Mutts4me, don't get so upset. We all don't know every thing about dogs, I am just showing a different way of looking at purebred breeding. Are you mad at me for bringing this topic up and discussing it because it goes against your ideals of what a proper dog is. Or is it the way I am broaching the subject? If it's the way I am bringing it up then I do apologize :D :wink:
I guess we all have different ideas, and its good to see it from all view points. I just have a different point of view lately. :wink:
[quote]but all your posts along these lines sound like sloppy, choppy, regurgiations of Cassie's numerous "purebred mongrel" posts[/quote]
This part really bugs me! :evil: are you making fun of my english writing skills :evil: this part of your post personally degrades me as a person. I really got upset and hurt when I read this. Sloppy and Choppy :(
That is a personal attack against my ability to write.

These are taken from Dogo rules.

[quote]1) Please respect every opinion that is posted. It may not be your opinion, but we all have the right to express how we think. Unless, it deals with abuse in any way towards dogs - abusive suggestions and/or opinions are not wanted here.

2) NO profanity or name calling or inappropriate remarks this includes racial slurs. Slight swearing in the case of emotive subjects may be overlooked (and words will appear with *** due to Board programming) - this is a "family type" community and we don't want to offend any one.

3)Flaming/Flame Wars will not be tolerated. Flaming is reacting to someone's message board posting in a hostile manner by publicly chastising the person or bombarding the person with nasty e-mails/PM's Flaming may occur to users who ask stupid questions or who engage in behavior that violates what is considered proper online netiquette. A flame war occurs when two or more users flame each other in an escalating manner that threatens to continue unabated.
Respect other peoples privacy.

4) Do not post a personal message from another member without their permission. This is an invasion of privacy and we will delete any message that does not say you have permission to post it.

5) [b]We don't have spell check in this group and we have not assigned anyone to the task. Insulting another member because of spelling or grammar is not going to be allowed[/b]. We have members that translate into English as best they can. We also have children/young adults here who are still learning how to spell. Be considerate of this. It would be a shame to lose a member because they don't feel they can live up to your standards [/quote]

Matty, although I do agree with you to some extent, purebred breeding can't be [i]banned[/i] because you WILL get a breed of dog that is adapted to its enviornment. Its evolution. Maybe what would be more correct is the ban of dogs for show, since its caused some severe deformities in dogs and dogs bred for hunting don't have a hunting instinct, dogs that should herd don't herd...etc.

Also, you mentioned that mixing dogs up does not produce a healthy dog. Unyet, you applaud these disgusting "poopi poo poo" breeders for mixing dogs up. Let's face it, they aren't doing it to help the dogs..they're doing it for MONEY. These dogs are probably even MORE sick than most pedigrees!

Just to see your side of it, I'll read the websites. But applaud these breeders of mixed dogs for MONEY? Never.

Lastly, I don't think Mutts was insulting your writing, but pointing out the fact that you were contradicting yourself and your post had a lot of "holes" in it. I can't speak for her though, so let's see what she says.

This seems to be such a hot topic, you guys!
If I can add...
Not ALL breeds that are "show dogs" have conformation that negates the working ability of that breed. The Pyr standard sets up a real livestock guardian dog. I think this probably applies to most of the older breeds but I don't have intimate knowledge of, say, the Bernese Mountain Dog standard. All I am saying is that breeding for conformation and breeding for the dog's original purpose are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and not necessarily detrimental to the breed's health. Many parent clubs do their own genetic research and testing.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Matty'] I never even thought of it before, I just thought the same way you did.

Are you mad at me for bringing this topic up and discussing it because it goes against your ideals of what a proper dog is. [/quote]

:lol: How did I think of it... and what exactly do you think my ideals of what a proper dog is are? Look at my screen name, and the mutt in my avatar, before you answer that question :lol:

[quote]This part really bugs me! :evil: are you making fun of my english writing skills :evil: this part of your post personally degrades me as a person. I really got upset and hurt when I read this. Sloppy and Choppy :(
That is a personal attack against my ability to write. [/quote]

I sincerely apologize if you took that as an attack on your writing skills or on you as a person. It's just that having read Cassie's "purebred mongrel" posts numerous times, which all sound the same, suddenl;y there's pieces here and pieces there... And yes, I think you're saying these things like you've been studying them yourself for quite some time, have a good handle on genetics, and know what you're talking about... But I know that the idea is new to you, since not long ago you were asking Cassie to explain it to you, so these aren't thoughts you've formulated at all they're just bits and pieces of things you're "regurgitating," as so many of my English teachers used to say.

And thank you for the link, but I don't need to look at it. I have a very good (bad) idea of what's happening to the purebred dog already and what will happen in the future. I'm not a fan of dog breeding in general; I'll never support it or buy a dog from a breeder, but I've met enough people and leanred enough to know that it's unreasonable and unfair to make blanket statements about all breeders when there are plenty who do have a grasp on genetics and are doing all they can to preserve their breed.

I've been following the development of Jeff Bragg's Seppela Siberian project, and even know a couple of the people involved. I do see some incocnsistancy with what he's trying to say though. He denounces the breeding practises of "purebred dog" breeders, but if you look at the pedigrees of dogs that he himself has bred, there are dogs that appear over and over :
[url]http://www.seppalasleddogs.com/isa/pedigree_gifs/helenmpd.gif[/url]
At one point he bred to a an [u]Alaskan[/u] Husky from one of the more successful racing kennels in Canada, calling it a "performance outcross" . That point used to be featured on his website, but no longer. Perhaps admitting this outcross would water down the purity of the Seppela bloodline? I can't say for sure, but adding an Alaskan to the mixed added a real can of worms, as his pedigree includes everything from Irish Setters, wolves, and Alaskan village dogs. The dog named "Hop" on the following pedigree is the Alaskan:
[url]http://www.seppalasleddogs.com/isa/pedigree_gifs/hltrpd.gif[/url]
(Point to the pedigree and wait for the expander button to appear, that will enlarge it)