Dogomania

National news!?!?

gooeydog

I agree. however, I would still like to see pictures. I cant say how many times someone has accused a dog of being a Pit, only to find out its a Pit/Mastiff mix, a Pit/shepherd mix, a Pit/whatever mix...I dont think these dogs should be interbred. the dogs they are bred with do NOT have the Pits bred-in traits of being people friendly. you take a dog that was bred to guard, mate it with a Pit, and you have a disaster waiting to happen....guarding Pits is not a good idea, with the strength of their jaws, and their bred-in ability to never give up....its bound to be a disaster...especially when untrained and un-properly disciplined....

:o :o

I don't like the fact that the dogs aren't identified correctly everytime that is wrong. But I don't think this case made national coverage just because it's possibly pit bulls. I think if we ever have a pack of golden retrievers attacking children who were going door to door for fundraising it would make the news. It's not just a dog bite the child is in critical condition and several other people are injured.

I hate breed bans but everytime there is a pit bull attack it's belittled on here and picked apart to make it seem not so bad. It's bad it's really bad. It would be nice if we could sympathize with the child who almost lost his life and then talk about whether they are pit bulls or not.

[quote name='Cairn6']I don't like the fact that the dogs aren't identified correctly everytime that is wrong. But I don't think this case made national coverage just because it's possibly pit bulls. I think if we ever have a pack of golden retrievers attacking children who were going door to door for fundraising it would make the news. It's not just a dog bite the child is in critical condition and several other people are injured.

I hate breed bans but everytime there is a pit bull attack it's belittled on here and picked apart to make it seem not so bad. It's bad it's really bad. It would be nice if we could sympathize with the child who almost lost his life and then talk about whether they are pit bulls or not.[/quote]

*sigh*

Yes, it [i]is[/i] national coverage because they are pit bulls and because it was a pack. I agree a pack of dogs will make national coverage even if they arent pit bulls, but single dog attacks (of breeds other than pit bulls, rotties, and other dangerous breeds) dont make national news usually and thats what ticks us off.

Whats wrong with us getting angry with the media about mislabeling and spreading BS? We all feel sorry for the kid, Cairn, I dont think we should have to write it for you to know that. We arent saying its not a big deal that the dogs attacked people... were saying its a big deal that pit bulls are getting yet another bad story against them thanks to some idiot breeders and owners, and that these dogs might not be pit bulls in the first place. How would you feel if one of your dogs' breed had a bad reputation and thanks to the media's mislabeling and horror stories, people feared your dog and treated you like a criminal because you owned that dog? Honestly, think about it. Thats why people are upset.

I'd like to know why you think people here dont think this is a big deal? Please show me where anyone has said this situation isnt horrible. Id like to see where you got that idea. :-?

I did. And while I'll admit the thought did cross my mind that it was an understatement, it was the most simple term that came to mind when trying to label the event (actually, dog attack would be more fitting, but my point remains the same). The point I was trying to make is that someone being maimed in this event is somehow more newsworthy than say, the tales of the hundreds or even thousands of peoples who are maimed or killed in car accidents every day. There was a bad one near my house last week, several people seriously injured, but it didn't even make local news, nevermind national. Why? Surely their tale held some greater lesson, whether it was because their vehicle was defective, or they were not being sensible, or someone else caused it. What exactly makes this story worthy of National news over so many other events (even some in the past involving dog attacks) that have occurred? And further, why weren't the real issues, like maybe human aggressive dogs being improperly contained, or people breeding dogs without regard for temperament, addressed? These sort of concepts are pertinent to all dogs, and would be useful to far more of the audience than the implication that the only reason this incident occurred was because pit bulls were involved.

You won't get any of the standard "couldn't have been pit bulls" responses from me (though I do think their labeling is completely useless and distracts from the more important issues), because it's possible that these dogs were pit bulls, you get bad dogs in every breed, and with pit bulls as common as they are, there are bound to be some out there. I just don't see the point of sensationalizing and dramaticizing the story to gain ratings rather than just giving the facts and if anything, ways to prevent history from repeating itself.

Well I do agree with all that gooeydog ...

I wonder if Yahoo news doesn't tend a little more toward the sensational than most national news outlets. I routinely check in on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC every day, as well as two local papers and the Denver Post including their national news sections and never saw it.

I didnt see it nationally, but I never go to Yahoo news either. I saw it because its local to me, and upsets me. It was on the the news last night as well. the dogs had Pit faces, but the bodies seemed wrong. they were more lanky than the pictures of wellbred pits I have seen, longer in body than most. but they were like 5 second clips, and couldnt get a good luck. no one is saying this is not a big deal. I sincerely hope everyone is ok, but I get tired of the pit bull slamming, and I dont even own one. I do not want the govt to be able to tell me what kind of dog I can have. period.