Dogomania

Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Cora

I adopted a dog 2 weeks ago and was told his mom was a Rat Terrier. The dog is 16 weeks old and already weighs 30 pounds so will be a lot more than a terrier. This place also gave me medical records for a female dog and the dog is male, so who knows what the real story is....

He is the spitting image of a Rhodesian Ridgeback but does not have the ridge. Would that be evident if he has any Rhodesian Ridgeback in him? I do not know how to insert an image but he is in the avatar. He also looks like a lab but has that white chest like many Rhodesian Ridgebacks. He also seems a little more muscular in his body, esp. the legs than a Lab and can jump 4 feet when I had him at 3 months

Could easily be a lab/hound mix? Wouldn't be able to tell without a better picture. Photobucket is great for hosting images for free. Its always kind of fun to try and guess what mix a dog is, sometimes you just never know and have to just generalize. We're lucky to have met my pups mom to know that she is actually a Cheseapeake bay retriever cross rather than a lab cross or a german shepherd cross or whatever would be responsible for her other coloring/markings.

~Dione

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while to get approved for dogomania photo hosting but I got pics up of him at...

[url]http://groups.msn.com/Dog-O-Maniaphotohosting/tobey.msnw?Page=1[/url]

I don't think he is a lab mix. His legs and shoulders for a 4 month old look a little more muscular than that, but I might be wrong. Let me know what you think. He definitlely has some hound in him though. He acts like a hound and drools like one!

I'm really not good at guessing breeds (all I've ever had are Golden Retrievers and Yellow Labs and crosses of the two), but he sure is adorable! He looks very happy and healthy and looks like he has a good buddy too!

Did you go back to the shelter you got him from and ask for the correct medical records? It sounds like maybe they were a little discombobulated in their records department.

Good luck with your cute boy!

[quote name='rotten_two']i don't agree but i usually never do haha. i don't see ridgeback in him. as it happens i have a rr in my cgc class and 1) the ridge is absent and 2) just not the same structure.[/quote]

As someone already pointed out earlier, even pure bred Ridgebacks don't necessarily have the ridge.

What reminds me on a Ridgeback are the wrinkles. The fur seems a bit light.

I'm not quite sure how big a Rat Terrier is or how it looks like, but it sounds awfully small and I just can't quite imagine the happy couple if the father is to be a Rhodesian Ridgeback?!

:niewiem:

I agree he is precious no matter what! Although he did destroy my $200 glasses yesterday. I guess I knocked them under the bed and I thought he was under there sleeping:( He is teething bad! I doubt he has rat terrier in him because he doesn't look it and he is going to be about 70 pounds, already 35 at 4 months. The foster home also gave me medical papers for him saying he's female, didn't have his vaccines up to date and were very unorganized with a lot of sick dogs. They have no clue. It's just interesting to ponder his breed when certain breeds carry particular traits.

I notice he has webbed feet so that is an indication of some kind of sporting dog. And he howls too, it's really cute. He has his "don't mess with me and my house" howl so low the floor practically rumbles as he presses his nose up against the door and then his yippy "Play with me I'm good" and his slight bark "Wake up I need to pee Cora".....

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you think Labs are not muscular dogs? My 9 month female lab is 21", 65 lbs. and doesn't have an ounce of fat on her. She is built like an APBT. Labs also have webbed feet, so it probably does have lab in it. Maybe, a lab/RR mix. I'll ask my fiancee, she is amazing at guessing breeds just from pictures.

I posted more pics of him on his website...

[url]http://groups.msn.com/Dog-O-Maniaphotohosting/tobey.msnw?Page=1[/url]

As he is getting older he is turning a little more reddish in color, leaner and longer. I don't see much lab in him, especially as he gets older but maybe I am wrong. I tried to get a side view without his neck turned toward the camera because I noticed he has an unusually strong, long neck. In any case I think he is very handsome (but a bit of a brat). He turned 6 months today so I expect he will fill out in shape even more.

I dont see much RR, but JMO... I was kind of thinking pit bull with maybe a bit of Great Dane. The thick tail, jowls, wrinkles on the forhead, ears, and paws make me think pit bull but I could be wrong. Great Dane I see in the face and makes sense considering how big he is. Theres something else in him that I cant quite make out :-? maybe its lab or some other retriever type, who knows.

Hes the cutest lil pup... or rather big pup now. :lol: :wink:

Thanks, I also just wanted to show off his pics. He weighs 50 pounds now on his 6 months being today. He is my first puppy and I have grown up with lap dogs so he is an extra challenge. I was told he wouldn't get over 40 pounds and not know how puppies grow, I believed them. All those things little dogs do and get away with, big ones can't. It means more training.

It's very exciting seeing his growth through time and how he changes over time. I wonder what he will look like (and have learned) in another month.

I know he is a mutt of some type, hence he won't look totally like one breed. Whatever he is he gets in a tizzy over cats, is territorial (which I am working on) howls like a hound and can run as fast a speeding bullet!

• 1 year later...

I really don't think so. If he does have RR in him it's very distant IMHO. Could be some APBT from the build and some Lab from the hair. Rat Terrier could be the hair as well but seriously doubt the RR. RR are dry mouthed hounds. You can disagree but you'd be wrong. LOL just kidding. Just remember all pure breeds were mutts before they were purebred. So you might have the first of some super breed!!! He looks like a champ either way and I would'nt worry to much about his herritage. Best of luck.