Dogomania

Open to suggestions

Ash

I'm doing a lot of research trying to find the perfect dog for me and my boyfriend.. We live in smaller apartment, so we'd like to go with a dog around 35lbs or less. I'm really thinking maltese, I fell in love with this breed, looking at pictures. My boyfriend doesn't want a 'long haired' one though. We are just looking for a dog, we do not plan on breeding or anything like that. Before anybody flips there lid about a shelter dog, I've always got my eyes open for that too, infact I'm starting volunteering there next Monday. We want a Puppy, that's just ready to go. We don't get many of those in the animal shelter though. My boyfriend likes a beagle but I think they would like to be a little outdoors more then we can handle (we both work). We are just looking for the breed/mixed breed type for us.

I would like a moderately active dog that we could go for a couple walks a day.. I live by a very big park, and hope to move closer. I would prefer a dog that didn't shed, but I wouldn't mind daily brushes. I do need a dog that can be left alone for short periods of time though. Any suggestions to thank?

Thanks so much for replying!

And I'll say.........hmmmmm

Pomeranian! They do have a longer coat, but mine does fine with a weekly brushing, They are active, but don't mind being couch potatos either. Super smart too, mine rings a bell to go outside, and is getting into agility training.
And you guys thought I was gonna say sled dog.... 8)
Heres' my Pom-
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwAIA5QYs!xAAJ3OiQP6j69Xr9CoLfOCxwNviF6yPYaYjNOOranT2OwzRxzKFcoWkFUyFzEZhwnTAeNdL05cJ2mo9ttUBuMF*ZEi*mj07wQ!uBTNlxoLPD5SXmkJrJhZ/92300007.jpg?dc=4675511059634950198[/img]

Aww your dogs are precious! I don't think I'll be going with the boston terrier though for sure, my boyfriend is afraid of most dogs, and already said he doesn't think that's the breed for us. He's beautiful though. I am really partial to labs, but they are too big for our apt life. It's taking Brett years to warm up to Smokie, so that's why I wanted to go with somthing really small, even though he likes Beagles.

I'm going to go look up more information about pomeranians right now. I'm deffienly hoping for a very smart dog. Smokie is very highly above intelligent, well at least that I've met in dogs in my life.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, hope you can keep em coming!

Hey PTM-great suggestion! I have a Pom too. She is eleven and has the energy of a three or four year old dog. She plays like a pup, loves her walks (she can keep up with the big dogs for 45 minutes to an hour) and is happy, easygoing and loves to cuddle. She is a great watchdog too (although with a Great Pyrenees to back her up she probably isn't afraid to be mouthy! :D ) The grooming is not bad if you keep up with it-Muffin loves being brushed anyway. Basically she is a tiny, lovey sled dog...They live a long time too, 15 years is about the average. There are a [b]lot[/b] in rescue, too. She's a tough broad, and for the cute factor, you can't do better! Also, just FYI, my husband, while he loves all dogs, had serious "manly man" reservations about this "foofy" dog moving in to our house. Which lasted all of four minutes.... 8)

Thanks, I'll keep that into consideration.

I'm gonna do some research about them today. That's one of the reasonsn I want a smaller dog too, is because they live longer, and they can grow up with our future children.

That's funny about your husband. Mine mans differen't, he's like can't we just have a cat? But he'll warm up to a dog I know he will.

I really don't want anything c@t type. . I mean no offesnse to anyone who owns one, but I want a puppy that's all puppy! Seeing as I'm much more of a dog lover then c@t!

Crystal, Brett has never been around animals... He only wants a c@t because it's 'smaller'. Right now he's more a fish and bird type person. Sometimes he's intimindated by smokie when we play fight, becasue he's a big dog (only 65-70lbs probably medium). Smokie growls and play bites(opens his mouth around my arm) and it scares him..

I think Maltese is still at the top of my list but does anything know anything about a Nova Scotia (I forget the rest) breed? I know it had a long name.

I'm not so much digging the poodle suggestion. I just don't think that's the breed for us. If I found one I fell in love with ofcourse, but right now no. Sorry.

So far poms and maltese are still at the top of my list.

Just suggestions

Minature Pinscher-big dog small package. My parents have one and he is great.

Pug-always thought they were cute.

Bulldog- I love wrinkles

Ok that was all I could think of. I just looked through all the breeds on the AKC breed list.

I know somewhere there is a site that allows you to put in all you preferences and then tells you the breeds best suited for you. Gotta see if I can find it.

Crystal thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm going to search all of them, and find one I think is perfect. I think I have personally fallin in love with maltese though, but I want to make an infromed decision.

Sery, I'd love to do that but we don't get many young animals in the shelter, and me and my bf have agreed we want a puppy/puppy. And by living in a small apt, I wouldn't want to do that to a medium sized dog. I know my smokie, would not like apartment living, and plus the landlord would probably think the smaller the dog the better. As soon as we are able to move out and own our own house, that's all I plan to have is probably dogs from the shelter. A lot of the small dogs that come into the shelter too, from what I've seen have health problems, and are like 8/9 years old. There is a beautiful beagle mix in their now, that I'd love to have, but I really want to do my research on this.

Did I mention the Nova Scotia Duck tolling retreiver somewhere? I can't find it, but that's weird becuase it was seriuosly on my list, until I found out that. They are beautiful dogs!

I'm glad you liked poms Ash- I think the only negative is that they can be stubborn like their sled dog cousins, so consistent training is a must.
Pyrless- Too funny! I had my first Pom, Pumpkin, before my husband and I were married, and he wasn't into the foofy dog business either, till he got to know Pumpkin and realised there was the heart and soul of dog 10 times her size in there. When Pumpkin died, we both thought we would not get another little dog, her cancer and subsequent death was too hard on us, plus we had 15 huskies at that point. That lasted 2 months and he got up one morning and said. "We gotta get another Pom." Once you have one, you always will..... :iloveyou:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQCRAskaMK66mw5FVuGSuKZ*wF7nTlvFVfY4nMdlBAlk7MpqisYvZQQuKLcRcuJclakDAZgirVSEHm4q9OXkG2hr61ltUMi10ArESg3u8*h1zO9pVYYBxp0H7lrt9Xaz0cMXrDPVtjk/0876769-R1-052-24A.jpg?dc=4675504801888427336[/img]

[quote name='Sery78']I understand...well, I tried! :wink:

Oh, I found where you mentioned the Nova Scotia dog for you!
Is that what you meant?

[quote name='Ash']I think Maltese is still at the top of my list but does anything know anything about a Nova Scotia (I forget the rest) breed? I know it had a long name.[/quote]
Keep us updated![/quote]

I swear I'm losing it, lol! I even looked for it, and didn't realize it..duh, me! lol.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Pumpkin the musher']And I'll say.........hmmmmm

Pomeranian! They do have a longer coat, but mine does fine with a weekly brushing, They are active, but don't mind being couch potatos either. Super smart too, mine rings a bell to go outside, and is getting into agility training.
And you guys thought I was gonna say sled dog.... 8)
Heres' my Pom-
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwAIA5QYs!xAAJ3OiQP6j69Xr9CoLfOCxwNviF6yPYaYjNOOranT2OwzRxzKFcoWkFUyFzEZhwnTAeNdL05cJ2mo9ttUBuMF*ZEi*mj07wQ!uBTNlxoLPD5SXmkJrJhZ/92300007.jpg?dc=4675511059634950198[/img][/quote]

I was goign to say pomeranian too.. mine pom doesn't need to be brushed but maybe once or every 2 weeks. he is not fluffy like pumpkin or my boonie was though.. here' s a picture of him
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd34b3127cce90fa4ac8942f00000016108AcOGjhw0Zts[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd34b3127cce90fa379555e400000016108AcOGjhw0Zts[/img]

Guest Anonymous

that last picture of pumpkin with the booties on is too cute!!

oh how i miss my little fluffy boonie...

:( :( :([img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cf31b3127cce9aa1197d35f800000016108AcOGjhw0Zts[/img]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Sery78']I'm so sorry for Boonie, he was such a cutie! :(

R.I.P. :lilangel:[/quote]

thanky ou. he was a doll!! what a great dog .. besides the peein' issues, but know i understand why he was doing it.. i hope he's having fun up there!

Guest Anonymous

My moogle, a pembroke welsh corgi, was a great active dog. Loves to be loved. Although a trouble maker at the dog park, when those "natural herding instinct" would kick in. I also took her to a park with a horse trail and lake, and she thought horses were great and would constantly run in and out of the lake. Since I had her when she was about 5 months old, she would do well off the leash. And with thier small size (20-25lbs), they're great for apartments, and the occasionaly running around the park.
They do have a double coat, but it never seemed to shed much with a good brushing. They love to learn, and apparently will use tricks against you. I read an artical about corgis that go to therapy school, or that are used for guide dogs, like goldens. But then realized that they could open the door and go outside instead of going to class. So if you make them smart, they'll figure out a way to outsmart you.
Now I have a samoyed/american eskimo, living in our apartment, and she's about 40lbs. I know it isn't right and all, but my mom wouldn't keep her cause of her size, and I couldn't have the heart to take her back to the shelter. So now I do my best to take her out often as possible, and let her get her energy out when I can't take her along with me for the day.

Ash -

Thought this breed selector might help you out: [url]http://animal.discovery.com/guides/dogs/selector/selector.jsp[/url]

When I tried it, the 2 breeds of dogs I have came up as my closest matches.

:)

Also - check out the Maltese & Small-Breed rescues in your area. My friends found a wonderful mix from our local small-breed rescue. Rescues return the love 100 fold :Dog_run:

Ohhh I completely forgot about this thread. I Agree with Seri what a beautiful dog! :(

Thanks for the link, I actually have 2 breeds in mind already that i'm trying to decide from.

I'm the biggest animal planet, freak out there! LOL! So ofcourse I already visited there.. :D But thanks so much!

i had a bichon frise for 15 years (sadly past away in oct.) but she was the best dog, they can be left home alone for short periods. not hyper, usually quiet (mine was, only barked at the mail man) need grooming but you dont have to do it monthly (depeding on how short you start the coat off with) mine we groomed her in fall and spring(never looked like those big poofy bichons at the dog shows but it was good enough) also they love attention they are great dogs, love walks when able to give them, they are good with kids, pacient.

and for an appt dog the dont need much room, and i think bostons are way to hyper (unless you can train them cause my friends didnt and he is psycotic) just my opinion.

cassie