Dogomania

ori pei

wrinkles

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i'm sad to say i got him from a pet store as i did my english bulldog....I have to say I hate puppy stores and argue with them every time i walk through the door..but someone has to give these poor dogs a chance.. and at the high prices they sell for i do consider that i rescued him.... my other 2 dogs, an english mastiff and a pug are both rescues..where did you get your dogs if you have any?

O.k. then what do you want to see happen to these dogs in pet stores? if people dont buy them they get sent back to be breeders to be bred or worse yet get put to sleep.. soo as you can see i did rescue 2 of my dogs at a verey large price......if it were up to me i would shut down all puppy stores, but they do exist and these pups deserve a chance at having a wonderful life!

Nope, you couldnt be more wrong.

You didnt rescue these dogs, you only supported what made them.

YES I would rather see them put to sleep, it's better.

IF YOU SUPPORT THE PET STORES THEN YOU SUPPORT THE PUPPY MILLS AND WHEN YOU DO THAT THEY JUST PRODUCE MORE AND MORE DOGS AND IT WILL NEVER END!!

HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTNAD?? :roll:

your response has me soo mad..you call yourself an animal lover..maybe ..your just a rescuer who enjoys making money off your rescues..just like there are puppymills there are also rescues who over charge for dogs.....give them away for free..you know the costs of doing rescue arent all that high...all dogs desever a chance at life..they didnt ask to be born...and and ori pei is a wonder ful breed...maybe meet one first and then talk about it...i probably know more about dogs than you do!

:lol: you crack me up.

I dont operate a rescue, so i dont see where i'm making money.
I took my dogs from the places they were before and gave them all good lives, never got a penny for them and I dont ever expect to(why the hell would i?? :-? )

Do yourself a favor and do a search on puppymills.

EVERYBODY that knows about puppymills knows to NEVER buy from a pet store NO MATTER WHAT.

and get one thing straight ORI PEIE IS A DESIGNER MUTT, IT IS NOT A BREED NOR WILL IT EVER BE A BREED

[quote name='wrinkles']you would rather have them put to sleep....??? well.... what kind of rescues do you have and why didnt you put them to sleep?? what gives your dogs more of a right to live then those sweet healthy puppies? i[/quote]

there is NOTHING healthy about a puppy from a puppymill.

SERIOUSLY YOU NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF CAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW MUCH

[quote]What You Can Do

To close down puppy mills and ensure the safety and humane treatment of dogs trapped in commercial kennels, you can:

Encourage state and federal officials to stop the mass production and exportation of sick and traumatized dogs. In addition to passing new laws, legislators can demand that existing laws be enforced.

[b]Urge other people not to buy puppies from pet stores, over the Internet, or from newspaper ads.[/b]
Write letters to the editor about puppy mills and pet stores. Explain the mills' inhumane treatment of puppies and their contribution to pet overpopulation.

Visit a local pet store to determine where it obtains its puppies. Don't be misled by claims that its dogs were not bred in puppy mills. Insist on seeing breed registry papers or the interstate health certificate for each puppy. The papers will list the breeder's and/or wholesaler's name and address.

Contact your member of the U.S. House of Representatives and your two U.S. Senators, asking them to urge the USDA to strictly enforce the Animal Welfare Act and to support efforts to increase funding for USDA/Animal Care. Members of Congress can be contacted at: The Honorable _______________, U.S. Capitol, Washington, DC 20510.

File a Breeder Complaint Form if your new puppy appears to be suffering from a medical condition.
[/quote]

[url]http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/get_the_facts_on_puppy_mills/index.html[/url]

oh trust me a know alot... all im saying is what makes your dogs healthier than these dogs and more deserving of life??? i did adopt my mastiff and pug through rescue... and i have read up on puppy mills and am an active member of peta...but dogs in the puppy stores also deserve to live...like i said in my previous post..i dont support pet stores....and for you to say those pups should be put to sleep is just wrong..i bet you have no kids of your own cuz your sure lacking that maternal instinct!

i also am active in mastiff rescue... i just feel no dog deserves to die.. no matter what... my point is ..that as long as people breed dogs for profit..there will be puppymills...and people will purchase them...including :purebreds"
....soo why not try to ban the sale of all dogs..and not just get upset about designer dogs....

I'm pretty open minded and can actually kind of understand why you'd think you were rescuing pet store dogs, though I don't support it.

However...

[quote name='wrinkles']there are also rescues who over charge for dogs.....give them away for free..you know the costs of doing rescue arent all that high...[/quote]
Define "over charge." The cost of rescue work can indeed be quite high. Even if you are fostering a healthy dog, there are vaccinations, heartworm tests, physical exams, flea control and prevention, spaying and neutering since no respectable rescue would ever let an intact dog go, not to mention quality food and every day expenses. However, many rescue dogs have health problems due to genetic disorders (bad breeding, another reason not to support pet stores and irresponsible breeders) or neglect. The list of things that often have to be done in rescue... heartworm treatments ($$$), various surgeries ($$$), treatments for skin problems, allergies, fleas, kennel cough, the list is endless, can all add up. I can say with all certainty that the cost of doing rescue isn't cheap.

Me, personally, I do not give away my dogs for free. All of my fosters are current on vacs, heartworm free, free of any internal or external parasites, spayed or neutered, and will in the future be chipped. While I absorb the majority of the cost, I expect any potential adopter to be willing to show me some form of commitment by investing a little in the dog. I can promise you that, as a two person rescue group (me and spouse), we aren't making a profit.

I just can't imagine what makes you think the cost of doing rescue is cheap. It's a vicious cycle. Many of the dogs in rescue were originally pet store purchases which supports the demand for even more pet store puppies. I think that's what AAP was getting at.

I'm not getting into the whole Ori Pei thing since I really have no input on that one way or the other.

hi horsefeathers...

i feel rescue is a wonderful and i do understand the expense..i got my mastiff through mcoa rescue... i was just trying to make a point that some rescues arent legit either..i feel rescue is the way to go as a rescued both my pug and mastiff....and though i hate prt stores i did "rescue my english bulldog and ori pei from the same one....they were not the 2 cute little puppies but rather the 2 large puppies whos time was running out...thank you for understanding my point of view as far as me "rescuing them.... :D

Oh I shouldn't get into this but err.. I can't keep my mouth shut.

Wrinkles I know that the puppys at the petstore are cute and look so sad and pathetic that you have the urge to take everyone home. I know I feel the same way. But the fact is if you buy from a petstore you ARE supporting BYB and puppymills. I know it feels like you rescued the dog but the thing is you only made room for another sick puppymill dog to be put into that tiny little petstore.

As sad as it is you have to look at the bigger picture instead of that one little puppy. I would sacrafice thoes pups by leaving them at the petstore rather then support puppymills and keep them in buisness. I can say 100% that no one on this board would like to see pet store dogs die or be euthanized, but sometimes you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Also I have a hard time understanding how you could go through the process of adopting from a rescue but can turn around and buy from a petstore?

I'm sure that your dog is very lovely but the fact is you did support a puppymill nomatter what way you slice it.

[quote name='wrinkles']well, i'm sad to say i got him from a pet store as i did my english bulldog....I have to say I hate puppy stores and argue with them every time i walk through the door..but someone has to give these poor dogs a chance.. and at the high prices they sell for i do consider that i rescued him.... my other 2 dogs, an english mastiff and a pug are both rescues..where did you get your dogs if you have any?[/quote]

That is the problem with people out there.

"Ohhh....look at that sad little puppy. I'm going to 'save' him. Just one won't hurt."

Do you know how many "just one's" are out there? These pet store people buy these dogs for dirt cheap and jack up the prices to make profits for them and the millers. So even lowering the prices to 'sale prices', they make a killing.

Here is a price list for what Pet Stores pay for the dogs:
[url]http://www.kimtownsend.com/prices.html[/url]

All people need to do is BACK OFF and let the dogs stay in the pet stores. It will show the millers that there is no one who wants that dog, and in order to get it out of the store, a breed rescue group will come in and take it. [b]NO MONEY EXCHANGED[/b]. That is what a real breed rescuer does. They don't put money back into the pockets of millers.