Dogomania

Please help...very worried

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, my presa pup is only 6.5 weeks old. Today, while playing, he would "bunny hop" at times. I am REALLY worried now about his hips! His parents were both OFA good. Can he already be having problems with his hips this young? Is this becuase he is not fully coordinated yet?

I am freaking out just a little here considering that I have already bonded to the little guy (and he to me) and that I dropped so much money on him.

Please let me know what yall would do??

It probably isn't anything to worry about. Puppies do crazy things...but I wouldn't sit and worry myself to death, I'd just ask the vet.

[quote]Does he do this when he tucks his rear end down and zooms around? (those are called zoomies.)[/quote]
Never heard of that...but it's very funny :lol:

Guest Anonymous

he doesnt do the zoomie thing that you mentioned--althought it sounds pretty funny. he just started doing it today and he only did it a few times. he was chasing me around and we were running up a hill...

my heart skipped a beat when i saw it. I may just be overly nervous--call it new mother sydrome if you want. this is my first pup raising entirely on my own, and I dont want to make a single mistake.

just curious--are there any other motions or behaviors i should look for to see if he has ok hips. sitting funny, etc?

thanks again guys!
Joseph

Guest Anonymous

I actually asked the same thing of both the trainer and the vet before getting the pup and they both said that it was earlier than some but not extremely uncommon.

I am no vet, so don't quote me, but I remember being told (by the vet) that the mother will often wean herself early if she has a large or zealous litter. Considering the amount of weight that bitches lose will nursing, that made some sense to me. It was a little of 9 and they seemed more than just a little energetic.

I would like to know if anyone else has some info as well.

I actually asked Kavik's breeder to keep him until 9 weeks - when we brought him home he was petty much house trained and crate trained - it was bliss.
On the bunny hop thing - Kavik used to do funny walks as a pup, I worried too but it turned out to be nothing (I did take him to the vet though - eased my mind.)

Just curious but while running does your puppy fall allot? I know that pups are clumsy and trip over there own feet but have you ever seen his legs give out on him while running? I doubt that it's HD or anything serious because of the age and the breed of the dog but I'd see a vet to easy any fears you have.

wait a minute here! jweissg i thought you were a joseph? i guess i am confused because you said "new mother" syndrome and in other posts you signed as joseph?

ok anyway i wouldn't worry too much about the bunny hops right now, pup is still quite young. try to note when they occur -- after a long rest? after a long romp? if they persist and you can't really associate it with anything maybe you want to mention it to your vet -- i can almost guarantee the pup won't do it at the vet so they could see it themselves hahah. most likely they will tell you to keep an eye on it.

pup is still growing right now so an xray (unless something is broken) won't be very definitive in terms of hd. since you are planning schutzhund i would expect you will ofa the hips before that starts. since this is a large breed dog you might talk to your vet about proper nutrition because you don't want a food that makes pup grow too fast.

ps does pup have a name? have any pictures? we love pictures around here!

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']a friend I work with is buying a Dachshund in two weeks when the puppy is 5 weeks- the breeder told her the mother has rejected the litter , I feel they should still be kept untill 8 weeks by the breeder - kept together in a puppy play pen without the bitch[/quote]

The person I got Gretchen from at 8wk. had to seperate the litter from the Mom (Rottweiler). There were 11 big burly pups, and she was growing tired of them.......
Gretchen has a war wound to prove it, she was attacked by the mother and has a good sized scar on her upper back/neck area. :o

I'll always be able to tell my dog from another just because of that tell-tale scar.

I do think it important though that pups remain with their litter mates till 8wk. and maybe longer, they learn important lessons from their litter mates. :wink:

about the pups...when McKenzie had hers we had to seperate them at 5 weeks...They liked to eat mashed up puppy food, but McKenzie would always steal it from them, but she also stopped feeding them. She was losing a lot of weight and looking very unhealthy at that point. I called the vet and he said to seperate them. The pups did fine, They ate great and the vet said as long as they can eat regular food and tolerate it well it was fine to send them on to new homes...The new puppy we are getting will be 6 weeks old when we pick him up. I think it varies with each litter, it is according to how fast mom weans them and how quickly they take on eating regular food. (just my opinion, no where near an expert)