Dogomania

Biting the Leash...

nadooshkinz

Lately, i've been taking clea out for walks on her lead, even though she's used to being off-lead, and she's not really accepting it well. Sometimes she'll try to break free, or just refuse to move, then when i try to pull her a bit, she plays dead by sprawling out on the floor.. And then usually if she does walk she consistently tries to bite the lead and pull it or she'll walk fine with part of the lead in her mouth.. if i take it out, she just does it again.. :-?

The biting the lead thing often passes but if it doesn't dose the dogs end with some bitter apple just before you start your walk.
As for the other stuff, get excited, encourage her to walk with you, praise when she is fairly good. You can also try luring her into proper walking/position with treats and praise. You could also look into obed. class once Clea is done her puppy shots - its great for establishing rules, developing a close relationship and for socialization - the earlier the better.

Tucker used to do that. First we switched him to a chain linked lead. Then we took him off that, every time he bit the lead we'd correct him with a stern "No" then when he stopped we praised him. He got the idea that it was much more fun not biting than biting. He loves praise. Many of you've heard it before but I really love Tucker.