Dogomania

What do you think of this food???

imported_Matty

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, oat groats, pearled barley, vegetable oil preserved with mixed-tocopherols, egg product, soy flour, dicalcium phosphate, natural flavor, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, vitamins [Vitamin E supplement, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity)], choline chloride, minerals [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], ascorbic acid [source of Vitamin C]. AWB7

First two ingredients bode well but the third is corn gluten meal, additionally there are no protein ingredients between chicken, the first ingredient, and egg product, the 7th ingredient. They add salt and "natural flavor." They use soy flour - probably to bulk the food up. On the up side it does start with a good recognizable meat and it has no by-product.
I would consider this a fair, middle of the class dog food.

I heard (from somebody trying to sell me THEIR dog food) that if the first ingredient is chicken, that meens a whole chicken, water, by products and all, and that once you dehydrate the chicken it moves down the list of ingredients to 4-5-6-7-ish, and that you want to look for "chicken meal" which is the already dried chicken to be the first ingredient.

True?

I too have heard that chicken 'meal' is more nutrient dense than just chicken, because of the lack of water weight.

I personally am not a big fan of brewers rice as a main ingredient either. Its a lower quality carbohydrate than either ground white rice or ground brown rice. Because of this and the fact that it contains corn, I wouldn't feed it, but it certainly seems better than the dreaded grocery store brands. I would put it on an even keel with Purina One or Eukanuba

info on dog food ingredients:
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/[/url]

as for the debate of whole meats vs. meat meal:

it's actually best if the food has both. the meal form (with a named, non-generic source (e.g. chicken meal, lamb meal but [b]not[/b] meat meal or meat and bone meal etc.) is preferred as first ingredient because the moisture has been removed already and the amount by weight is higher, but fresh meat has the advantage of not having been processed once already, like meat meals - which go through a second heating and processing cycle when the kibble is made.

if both a specific meat and meat meal source are listed among the first few, it doesn't matter which is first or second. but if there is only one source of meat among the main ingredients, the meal form is preferred since it adds more animal protein by weight.

But isn't Dr Weil an expert on people holistic health?
Many people aren't aware of the problems with dogs and corn or that a meal balanced for a dog should have more meat than one balanced for a person, although why he thought added salt was ok I don't know.
I had a similar complaint about the Bodybreak people here. They have short health clips on tv here. There are fairly well respected in the excercise and nutrition feild but they get endorsements from Purina, have a Beneful link on their web site and in a clip regarding nutrition implied that Beneful was good for your dog. They have a Nova Scotia Duck Toller and I think they might actually feed it that crap.

Dogpaddle, Dr Weil has been an advocate of feeding raw foods for his dogs for years. On his site he has loads of information on proper feeding for dogs even telling only to feed free range animals & organic veggies....he also recommends the proper fishes and never to purchase farmed fish or Atlantic fish because of pollution. He made a joke once about how he was at the grocery store and had a cart full of red meats for his dogs. A lady recognized him and was quite apalled as Dr Weil is totally against we humans eating red meats due to high cholestral and other things. She kinda thought he was not practicing what he preaches... :lol: he had to explain the raw meat was for his dogs.

This is why Im really surprised that he would stand behind this product. :(