Dogomania

White linoleum, black hair

BuddysMom

OK my problem this morning is minor by comparison here... but the hair is everywhere in my kitchen and my broom and mop just seem to move it around. Has anyone else found a good way to get hair up from linoleum (sp?) I was thinking of trying one of those swiffer things with the disposable head but it's kind of pricey, then you have to keep buying the sheets but still, if it would WORK... Or my B-day is coming up, mabe I could ask everyone to kick in for one of those all in one sweeper/washers. Any insight would be helpful.

I too know the pain of black hair on floors !!! It seems like Gretchen's hair floats too, it's all over the place !! :-?
Try not only beige kitchen floors but ButterCreme Frost carpet !!!
It's a nightmare !!! I will never get beige carpet again in my life :roll: !!!

I have a good vacuum that comes with the hose/hard floor attachment for the kitchen/Bathroom floors, have to change to the power head attachment for the carpets.

You'd think with all the hair all over Gretchen would be bald !!! :lol:

I have a swiffer with spray. They actually arent toxic DAL, that was one of those urban myths that got started, like the Febreeze one. There is no antifreeze in the swiffer floor wash. It's thought that both of those myths got started by people who were protesting the company.

If its just hair, and not dirt, the regular swiffer picks it up wonderfully. And to make the pads last longer, throw them in the dryer and let them tumble for a few minutes. They work using static force. The pads are "electrified" which makes them attract hair and dirt. you can re-static them in the dryer. So you can use the same pad, with lessening effects, 2 or 3 times before you have to throw it out. a vacuum with a hose works too. the part that does the drapes is good for hair.

p.s.

yuo can actually use any floor wash you want. thoroughly wash out the swiffer canister, in very hot water, and let it dry. you dont want to mix chemicals, so you have to wash it until you cant smell it any more, and then let it dry. Then you can refill it with whatever liquid floor wash you want. I make my own, using pine needles from the blue spruce in the back. It smells like a pine tree (not like Pine Sol, which I feel smells too
strong, and "checmically") but rather like a fresh cut Christmas Tree.

:)

[quote]yuo can actually use any floor wash you want. thoroughly wash out the swiffer canister, in very hot water, and let it dry. you dont want to mix chemicals, so you have to wash it until you cant smell it any more, and then let it dry. Then you can refill it with whatever liquid floor wash you want.[/quote]

:hmmmm: :PROXY5: The sound you hear is me smacking myself in the head! That is a great idea Court, I just assumed the tops were part of the bottle and couldn't be taken off. I looove my Swiffer, couldn't live without it with multiple dogs in the house.

Personally, I use my Oreck for the hair. It only weighs 8 pounds so it's easy to bring ALL over the house. I run it at least once a day downstairs. And every other day upstairs.

But I use my swiffer mop thingy for both my kitchen and hardwood floors. And DUH.....why didn't I think of refilling it? I would just have to be careful and either put something in it that is safe to use on hardwood too.....or just do that a different way.

do you have any pine trees near you? with the stupid stinging "get-stuck-in-everything" needles? (like xmas trees)

cut off a section of needles about 4 inches wide and deep. about 5 of them.
place them in boiling water and let them boil. The oil in the needles will come to the top. you will smell pine. when the smell is at its strongest, use a skim to pull the oil out. Put in a bottle, or the swiffer cannister. add hot water until it smells like a christmas tree. not too strong, not too weak.

spray on surfaces and wipe away. It has amazing qualities for cleaning.
the water has to dillute it enough to make it more liquid than oil, but it can literally clean anything. even grease on the stove, and crayon on the walls. it is not a disinfectant though, so toilet cleaning wont work.

I clean my hardwood floors with it all the time. And the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.

After owning a low-shed single coated breed, I don't have to deal with the tumbleweeds of hair in my room, but Buster sheds all over the house.. Call me old fashioned but I just sweep up the hair on the tile, and throw it in the garbage. :lol:

The swiffers work great for hair that scatters all over, though.

With 4 Golden Retrievers, 2 Scottish Terriers, 2 Collies, 1 Bernese Mountain Dog, 1 Basset Hound, and 1 German Shepherd/Golden Retriever Mix.....I get tumbleweeds daily. If I have a busy day and can't sweep the entire house.....It appears I have another dog growing out of the hair balls. Thank goodness I have all woodfloors and tile because I would never get the hair out of carpet. With the breeds I have no color is safe to wear black is out or I end up wearing black with a Golden on it, khaki is out or I wear a Berner, Scottie and mix dog. Around here if you have an issue with dog hair....don't bother coming over. :)

Thanks everybody! Knowing you can make the pads last longer by throwing them in the dryer, and that I can use my own natural cleaner then I will try a swifter! Court, thanks for the pine recipe. Wish I'd have known sooner, there were some great cedars where we were camping last night but I can find something pine-y around here.

K I loved the St. Bernard suggestion but John said no, can you imagine!? :P

lkeffect "I LOVE what you're wearing, which dogs are those today?" :lol:

When I first saw the Swiffers, I thought it was about the dumbest thing I ever saw. I told someone, "who in their right mind would buy a paper towel on a stick??" :o

Now I love mine. :oops:

They're excellent at getting up fluffballs and fuzzbunnies. I don't have any use for the Swiffer Wet Jet thingy, though. It's just too easy to take a spray bottle with cleaner and spray the floor myself and go over it with the wet pads than spend the money on the Wet Jet. If you have to squeeze a trigger to get a spray, anyway, I'd just as soon use a $1 spray bottle as spend +$20 for the Wet Jet when the wet pads on a regular Swiffer work just as well. :P