Dogomania

Isn't that a MIRACLE

Yeah I saw that one tonight and previously. Im happy that pittie got a home!

...as mad as I am at those officers for spreading false statements about the pit bull, they have to abide by the law and theyre doing their job... not the best job :lol: but theyre doin it.

*hopes there wont be any arguing in this thread*

that's terrific. as far as the animal control folks go, i think we all have to realize that not everyone is as well versed on the subject of dogs as we all are. it really sucks that animal control is seen as some sort of authority on animals and that the ignorant statements made on these shows will be taken as fact by a lot of viewers.

the fact is, animal control are often just people doing a job. they are supposed to be licensed, but that is more in regards to how to handle animals and such and not general information about breeds and behavior. sometimes (like the shelter i work at) animal control are simply "go betweens" who pick up animals and drop them off at the shelter. more like dog catchers than what people would expect from something as official sounding as animal control. we also need to realize that, whatever the ac officers say on the show regarding the dogs, has very little bearing on the actual fate of the dog. animal control doesn't make decisions about suitability for adoption or whether or not a dog is going to be put down. that's done by shelter staff and trained evaluators.

of course there are exceptions to every rule. there are highly trained, extremely knowledgeable aco's, but they're few and far between. if you want to see bad animal control, come to my shelter. the rejects we have to deal with are afraid of dogs and refuse to pick up cats (even though they're required by law). :roll:

and don't forget, the general television watching audience doesn't want to see peaches and cream. people don't want to see the poor lhasa being taken from it's elderly owners who've neglected it for years. yea it tugs at our heart strings, but it's not noteworthy. now, abused pit bulls confiscated from a drug house/dog fighting ring, THAT'S EXCITING! it seems rediculous but just look at the news. they have a saying, "what bleeds, leads" when it comes down to it, it's not about animals it's about ratings.

[quote]of course there are exceptions to every rule. there are highly trained, extremely knowledgeable aco's, but they're few and far between. if you want to see bad animal control, come to my shelter. the rejects we have to deal with are afraid of dogs and refuse to pick up cats (even though they're required by law).

[/quote]

I tend to agree with that. The ACO's here are given a mini-course on dog personalities and characterisitics, but by no means are they trained to recognize each breed and what it's traits are. and they are told that some dogs are more potentially dangerous than others. at least here they are shown in the mini-course how to recognize true signs of aggression, and if they think they see it they are immediately to call the police and get them involved. their job is to keep an eye on the dog and make sure it doesnt get out of their site. the police will handle any aggression issues. if thedog does not appear aggressive they can make the attempt to capture it (usually with food of some sort) and take it to the police station. From there it is taken to a shelter if no calls about it in a few hours. I had to pick Alex up there when he slipped through a hole in the fence I didnt know was there and ended up at the local liquor store. he followed someone inside!! the guys at the liquor store were playing with him. I called the police and they said they had just picked him up from there. I had only had him two days then, and didnt have tags for him yet, and got lectured BIG TIME about that by AC...

so I guess it depends on the laws where you are...