Dogomania

Potty training with Wee wee pads, A little help please :(

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I was yelled at tonight about the wee wee pads. Bell was doing great going to the potty outside. She did have her mistakes inside, but they were not many. It has been raining for the past week here so it has been hard to take her outside. So I started using the wee wee pads. She is doing very well with them as well as still going potty outside.
But now I was told that letting her use the wee wee pads was a very bad thing and it would confuse her. It took her 6 months to get her dog use to going outside because she wanted the wee wee pad.
So now I put it to all of you. What do you think? Are wee wee pads bad??? :niewiem:

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry for those of you who do not know Bell is my Baby Chihuahua...
My :lilangel: She is only 6 weeks old and maybe 2 pounds now...

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAD9AgEXOH*LcRKXO4BIQYkkWZS12lkqtQTyaB4jeP8oDTHcG5sQkCimX5AoU5nLCjxTG4cqtbX3QxMy02o6RKugUhSs2KrkqQYHPneHH6HRa4Tb1lOQAA/standing%20Bell.JPG?dc=4675478023988220998[/img]

your little girl can stick with wee wee pads for right now. She shouldnt even be away from mom yet. If she knows to go outside, for right now it wont hurt having the wee wee pads inside for "those times". she is still in training. eventually, when she's older and more secure in her outside stuff (and can hold it longer, she's only 6 weeks. I cant believe someone yelled at you about that) you'll want to wean her off the wee wee pads and into outside only. She's doing very well as it is, going outside when she can.
wee wee pads are a form of training as well. If she hits the pads, instead of the floor or carpet, she knows she has certain "spots" she can go in if she has to. I didnt have wee wee pads raising Free. I used newspapers.
once I realized she was old enough to hold it for four hours (I came home at lunch every day) the newspapers gradually went away completely.

some people with dogs yours size use litter boxes.... Yours is going out and doing it there, and at a very early age, too!

if you were gone all day, a litter box could be a good thing, but since you're there, make a point of taking her out, but dont get all moshed about the wee wee pads. at least she nows to use them, and you cant watch them every second of every day....

she seems very smart. I'm sure when her bladder finally catches up and she can hold it, the wee we pads will be long gone.

Guest Anonymous

When using wee pads (pretreated pads) when your pup starts using these consistently, the pads can be moved closer to the door and another set should be placed outside. The transition is made from concentrating the toilet habits to one spot inside the home to one spot outside the home. Finally, the papers inside are eliminated. The only problem with this method is that for a period of time it encourages you pup to eliminate inside the home. It does take alot longer to housebreak when using this method.

I have used Crate Training with great success with my pups. The dog is placed in a cage that is just large enough to be a bed. Dogs do not like to soil their beds because they would be forced to lay in the mess. It works, and while in these confines, most pups will control their bladder and bowels for a longer time than you would expect. Young puppies, at 8 or 9 weeks of age can often last for 7 or 8 hours, however, I would never recommend leaving your pup unattended in a crate for that long in most circumstances. Plus with your small breed pup, she will have to urinate much more often than some large breeds...this is why small dogs can seem to be so hard to potty train :wink:

During housebreaking, whenever the puppy is inside the home but cannot be watched, he is placed in the crate. The last thing you do before you put the puppy in the crate is take him outside to his favorite spot. The first thing you do when you take the animal out of the crate is another trip outside. No food or water goes in the crate, just a blanket and maybe a chew toy to occupy her time. Overnight is definitely crate time. As your faith in the puppy grows, leave him out for longer and longer periods of time.

Most people do not recognize an important advantage of crate training. It does more than just stop the animal from messing in the house. It also teaches the puppy something very important. The puppy learns that when the urge to urinate or defecate occurs, he can hold it. Just because the pup feels like he needs to relieve himself, the pup learns that he does not have to. This is thought to be the main reason why puppies that have gone through crate training have fewer mistakes later on.

Make sure you buy the right size cage. You want one that has the floor space that provides just enough for the puppy to lie down. But cages are useful throughout a dog's life and it would be nice if you did not have to keep buying more as he grows. That is not necessary. Simply purchase a cage that will be big enough for him as an adult, but choose a model that comes with or has a divider panel as an accessory. With these, you can adjust the position of the panel so that the space inside the cage available to the pet can grow as he does.

Using too large of a crate can often cause long term problems. The puppy will go to one corner of the cage and urinate or defecate. After a while, he will then run through it tracking it all over the cage. If this is allowed to continue, the instincts about not soiling his bed or lying in the mess will be forgotten and the puppy will soon be doing it every day when placed in the crate. Now a housebreaking method has turned into a behavioral problem as the puppy’s newly-formed hygienic habits becomes his way of life.

And remember, lots of praise. Never scold a pup for making a mistake. If a mistake happens or you catch your pup in the act, pick her up and push her tail down and carry her outside. Then praise as if it were the best thing your pup has ever done. :wink:

Which ever method you use it will take a little while. Your pup is young, mistakes will happen. Make sure you have a good enzyme cleaner available to really clean up the messes. If the pup can still detect a scent on the floor she will be more apt to go there again.

By the way, your pup is the cutest thing I have seen in a long long time! Lucky you.

Terra, here is a Chi forum run by a wonderful lady named Marie. It's a Chihuahua group and is a good resource for a lot of these issues you are coming across. Marie actually continues to use the wee wee pads for her little Chi (Manny) because she lives several floors up in an apartment in Philadelphia. Anyway, I just thought you might be interested in talking to some other Chi lovers as well as us.
[url]http://groups.msn.com/MyLittleManny[/url]

she is, isnt she? her pup is already going outside when situation permits. She was taken from her mother way too early, and Terra has been working really hard with her since bringing her home. I agree with the crate suggestion, if for nothing else, a secure den. Free wouldnt be crated (claustrophobiac) so she had her bed in a large bathroom, and papers on the other side far away from her bed. She got housetrained fairly easy, we just started moving the papers outside once she could hold it. I dont think the wee wee pads in this dogs case is a bad thing. She seems smart, and I think she will train easily once she can hold it better. She's only 6 weeks right now. IMO she should still be with her mother at this age.
But a crate as a warm, secure nesting place is usually a good idea. It helps if you ever have to leave for long periods of time too. They feel secure in their own little dens.

Guest Anonymous

I do use a crate at night and when we go some where that she can't go. But I do not lock her in it. She is in our back bathroom with a crate and a wee pad in front of it. At night and even when we leave she comes out of the crate to use the wee pad. I think that maybe I will start locking her in it at night to help her hold it longer. I go to bed pretty late and my husband is military so he is up very early, so she would not be in there that long.
She is pretty smart so I think she should learn pretty fast. We were very lucky in finding her.
Oh by the way a quick update on her drinking. I gave her water with a medicine dropper last night and today. By tonight she was at the bowl on her own. She is eating much better now. No more diarrhea. I am so happy with her progress. Now if she keeps it up tomorrow I will be tickled.
So I think I will start locking the crate. Keep taking her outside maybe more often if it's not raining and leave the wee pad for accidents. But not encourage it.
Terra
This is a picture of her in her crate. :angel:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADlAl4VRgSpRqz56Nz6dqLalMQewRFGELMLjLf6*CRjrUOyLN4t4TQ9tCYRNTRd3H1BeuR5Qlt!RJgEg0NxNFLxp!1V27W4uXYG*YhRl4JGAAAAynIhAg/in%20Kennel.JPG?dc=4675478023923319270[/img]

I wouldnt try to help her hold it longer at this age Terra. She simply cant.
do what you're doing now, leave the crate open and let her go if she has to. she is obviously trying very hard to be good. the "standard" housebreaking rules are one hour for every month old the dog is. at 6 weeks, if she can hold it for even 3 hours, she is doing VERY well.
Free was able to hold it for four hours at 10 weeks, which is considered VERY good. she was "denned" in the bathroom. yes, there were always a few accidents, where the papers were soiled, but for the most part she tried really hard to hold it til I got home, cuz then when she went outside she got treats, and ball playing. I took the papers out, and if she went again she got a dog biscuit and a game of ball.

since she is small. it is sometimes quicker to housbreak them. but if you rush her and she soils her kennel, that's a backstep.
dont rush it sweetie. remember, she's still just a baby. a REAL baby.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, crate stays open for now. I just wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to help me. She is such a small little thing. Bj was so easy and so big compared to her. I just don't want to mess her up. I guess in the end it will all work out. She is doing very well so far, with many thanks to all of you. :laola:
I mean look at that his nose is bigger then her!!!!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgCpAnMWS1K3zGBLcRg1vl!Ybils6eDTMs433qP**M7MeR1XXddS6TqG!wypD22hJB6cha!MZlUnJwP0kzt8ke4Pe0nboOmMvfQ7av6mCcVCAYGrUcj7Tg/little%20kiss.JPG?dc=4675478087065844602[/img]

that picture should be sold as Christmas Cards......SSSOOOO cute. Labs are generally so gentle, I love to see him being so tolerant with her.

youve obviously done a good job with BJ as well. some dogs would not tolerate her being in their face like that.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

From that picture, it looks like that crate is too big for her. If it is too big, they WILL soil in it because they have too much room for it to be just a den. ( Especially when they aren't housetrained yet.) I would get a smaller crate. They should be able to stand up ,turn around, and lay donw comfortably without too much excess room. If you are concerned about leaving her in such a small place, I would recommend getting an excercise pen and placing the crate inside of it.