Dogomania

Poop problem...

Crested

I've got a small... hmm... that might not be the right adjective for this... hmm... Well you decide the adjective. I have a _______ problem with Bella's pooping. Since I got her, she hasn't pooped outside a single time. She's now 8 months old.
Ok, ok... Don't start stoning me for this yet. Just continue reading.
The reason why I diddn't want to housetrain her before now was the cold winter. A little [i]hairless[/i] girl with way over -20 degrees celcius outside (sometimes even over -30) and snow way over her head. Not the perfect timing for house braking, right? So I thought I'd wait untill spring.
Well... spring is here and nearly all the snow has melted. It's still cold, but not as cold as two or three months ago, so I thought now was the time to start training. The whole family has chipped in and praised her from top to toe whenever she's done her buissness outside. I even bought the "Get Off" spray that has worked wonders. Now I only have papers in front of the doors that lead outside. So she seeks to the door when she needs to go. So with pee'ing we're doing exellent!! ...the pooping is the problem. No matter how long I keep her outside, she just pees but no "nr. 2".
I'm starting to run out of ideas of what to do.
So I thought I'd come over here and ask you guys:
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

No poo of her outside AT ALL. She's not done her "number two" outide the whole time I've had her!

I'll try that idea you suggested the next time she does her buissness. She pees always in the same spot on some flowers, but that's no problem as we are going to remove them (the flower plants) anyway so...

Can you watch her really closely and when you see her start to poop, pick her up and take her outside? I would give her a stern no before you pick her up also. Obviously praise her like crazy when she does poop outside.

I've never trained a dog using the indoor pads, but if you want her to only go outside, maybe you should get rid of them? It seems like it would be more confusing for her if they were still around.

Bella did her buissness on the floor again... now I picked it up and threw it at the place where she uses to wee-wee when we put her out. Mabye she'll see the big picture.

kendalyn: I'm going to remove the papers (I use old newspapers) when I see that she stops using them or starts to go out more then now. I think with pee'ing I could do that now allready, but with the big buissness beeing as it is now... I can't.

[quote]The walking usually makes them have a bowel movement quicker. Usually after walking briskly for 10-15 min (at most) they have to go.[/quote]

This is true for Buck at least. He is like clockwork when we go on a walk. After 5 or 10 minutes he almost always has to go. It would probably be worth a try.

I'm actually having the SAME problem with Amaya! I've taken her out, crated her, done everything. She just did not like going outside in the snow. So we put up with it for the winter. She's now 9 months old. She'll go outside sometimes now. But it's remarkable close to what we've been going through!
We let her out every 6 hours still, but STILL come home to poop on the floor even though she goes outside. Not as much though. It's slloowwwlllyy progressing... White carpet is thoroughly stained from her stubborness over the months as well. Cleaning doesn't want to help anymore..

i can attest that the "going for a walk" thing works. whenever i take my dog out for a walk, i usually have him poop in my back yard before we leave, because i'm really not too keen on carrying around filled poopy bags the whole time, and there are almost no trash cans on the way.

and even tho he went at home i can absolutely count on it that after a mile or two he has to "go" again, and whenever i take him to run along while riding a bike or on rollerblades he will poop more than once if we do a longer trip.

take some treats with you, go for a nice walk and throw a party when she finally does what's expected. she'll catch on quickly, i'm sure.

Thanks for all the help and advice. She did her buissness outside today where I put the poo she did inside last night. Yay! :D

SexxieRacerChik: I have the "Get Off" spray that works wonders the way you described.
I can't let her be outside untill she does her buissness because it's still a bit too cold for her. So I have to have her out for 5min tops. When the weather becomes warmer I can keep her out longer.

Walking her doesn't work. If I go on a walk with her she does NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. When she comes inside or comes back to our yard... then she does her buissness. :?

[quote name='Crested']Walking her doesn't work. If I go on a walk with her she does NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. When she comes inside or comes back to our yard... then she does her buissness. :?[/quote]

how long are your walks? i've barely ever had occurrances where a dog wasn't completely "pooped out" (literally :oops: lol) after getting home from a good walk.

10 minutes "around the block" doesn't count tho! lol

I can't really go on "marathon walks" with a hairless dog with not proper clothing (it's no use to buy clothes when they're puppies because they out grow them too quickly) in the middle of the winter. Plus that I've been sick a lot this winter too... :? So it's been just walks around the block. Ben does his buissness on that walk several times but not Bella.