Dogomania

pit bulls and small animals

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just recently adopted a pit bull from a local animal shelter. i also have a rabbit (uncaged), a cockatiel, a guinea pig, and a cat. i was reading on a website called "the real pit bull" that you can never trust a pit bull with other animals because of their innate genetic tendencies to fight. is this true? my pit bull is so loving and gentle with my bunny, and i can't ever see her attacking her. can someone give me their personal experience with pit bulls and other small animals?? thanks so much. . . .[/list]

Guest Anonymous

when it comes to fighting they mean other dogs.
I mean i would be cautions just because you never know what might set the predatory instincts and get they prey drive going. the rabbit may run past and the dog just cant help it. its something i would be wary of and never EVER leave your dog unsupervised with any other animals. Not worth the risk.

Definitely, absolutely agree with RnP and K, never leave your dog with the bunny or guinea pig or a kitty etc etc. Certainly NOT because your dog is a pit either! I would not leave ANY dog unsupervised with little critters. Dogs are predators, bunnies and piggies are prey. When I first brought my Belgian Sheepdog home, I had a guinea pig who was allowed to run loose in the house under supervision at times. I always sat on the floor with Jesse when Mr. Piggy was loose. Jesse was just a pup but I swear I could see the predator gears turning just a bit. It did not help that Mr. Piggy tried to run off with not just Jesse's booda bone, but his tail as well! Mr. Piggy was not terribly put off by this pup that was 10-15 times his size, he tried to steal the rope bone right from between Jesse's front paws. Jesse slapped a paw on his toy and that was that. Piggy ran off to find easier pickings.

I don't know if I totally agree...I have two cats and my pit just loves the little one and as for the other well she's kinda the boss! He refuses to go near her and if he does she lets him know! I wouldn't go as far as saying I wouldn't leave him alone with small animals he was raised with them he doesn't know to attack. Just a thought! :D

I don't have a pit but I would never leave my dog nor any other unsupervised with a small animal such as a rabbit or a guinea pig. I don't think I would with a cat either, however cats are a little different. Cats can run pretty fast and climb things to escape if need be, a rabbit wouldn't stand a chance.

I personally wouldn't take the risk - better safe than sorry heh.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

All this 'prey dive' talk is pox. My pit bull has been left alone with my gf's german sheppard, my parents shitzu and cat, never a problem. It depends on the dog, it's not pit bull specific. If they get along, then you can leave them. If not, don't trust it.

Uday, sounds like you are setting youself up for a tragedy. IT DOESNT MATTER THAT YOUR PIT HAS BEEN FINE WITH FRIENDS DOGS. It still amazes me when I hear about pit owners thinking its no big deal to leave their dogs alone and unsupervised with other animals. My dogs get along great like two peas in a pod. That being said, I would NEVER leave them alone together. Uday, please reconsider leaving your dog alone with other dogs. All it takes is a funny look, both of the dogs trying to drink water at the same time, whatever. Fights can and do happen, and I am sure that you would not want to come home to a pic of what K posted.
Had a similar situation on another forum a while ago. A noob pit owner said he did not think it was a big deal to leave pits together alone. Two weeks after posting that, he said he took it back. His "breeder" left two bitches alone (one was pregnant) along with a male and the breeder came home to 2 dead dogs and one seriously injured one. DO NOT EVER TRUST YOUR DOG NOT TO FIGHT WITH ANOTHER DOG!

[quote]All this 'prey dive' talk is pox. My pit bull has been left alone with my gf's german sheppard, my parents shitzu and cat, never a problem. It depends on the dog, it's not pit bull specific. If they get along, then you can leave them. If not, don't trust it.[/quote]

I don't know how old your pit bull is but it is obvious you know NOTHING about the breed. You need to educate yourself before you walk in on a scene like K posted. And, it is NOT pit bull specific, ANY dog can exhibit the same behaviour. A friend of mine just lost one of her pugs, her shar-pei killed it. :(

Debby