Dogomania

Craters beware!

Malamum

I too read about this. I certainly understand not wanting to use this type of crate anymore, that is scary and very sad.
However, IF you have a crate that is at all designed like this, you CAN make it safer by using strong metal clamps. There is a type that looks somewhat like tongue and groove, you can use pliers to close it around the parts you are clamping together, clamp it very tightly. Along the top where the hooks are, clamp the top to the front in a permanent manner. Of course this means you will NOT be able to fold the crate down without painstakingly removing all of the clamps but if that is not an issue, clamp it.
Do the same with the side of the crate to the front panel. Do this to ANY panel that has the possibility of moving. You could alter this type of crate so that the only part that 'moves' is the door.

Garage Sales are a great place to find crates also. When I went shopping for Buck's I checked the paper. I found 7 that listed dog crates in their ads. If you have the time to look and sort through the not so good ones, it's a great way to go.

I bought Buck's Vari-Kennel for $15.00. Normally it would be about $80. It had not been used hardly at all as the dog they bought it for hated it.

the design on this crate is very POOR, and I can see how a strong dog could finagle it open and then get stuck. I can see two ways around it...
if you have one and need to use it, get a standard padlock and connect
it at the place where the poor design joins. Make it as small of a padlock as possible. Key lock is quicker than combination. or zip strips, altho those have to be cut off, they cant be broken...

Guest Anonymous

What a shock on my first visit to this site! I rescued my upstairs' neighbor's yellow lab from a crate like this a couple years ago - he'd managed to wedge his upper jaw through the door, and was stuck there, howling like a banshee. We just adopted two black lab / border collie mix puppies from our local shelter and bought a crate from our local WalMart - I'll be rushing home to check the brand! Anyone have recommendations on a particularly good crate to house two adorable brothers?