Dogomania

Dandruff

abker17

In these last couple weeks I've noticed that Abby has really bad dandruff. :-? She seems to get it every winter when the temperature drops, but I've never seen it this bad. We have some medicated shampoo to bathe her in, but is there anything else that I could do for her?

I find flax seed oil so expensive...I bought myself a coffe grinder and purchase the organic flax seeds and grind them myself and put it in my dogs food. :wink:
Hemp oil is supposed to be excellent as well....it has a wonderful ratio of omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids. I have hemp ceral for breakfast and I get hemp oil for my dogs...only occasionally as I find this to be expensive as well.
I also add canned sardines packed in water to my dogs food a couple of times a week...and canned wild alaskan salmon to their food...(I stay away from farmed salmon...very evil stuff!) :evil:
Also don't bathe your dog too much in the winter as this can zap the natural oils out of your dogs skin...even a medicated shampoo. And make sure when you do bathe your dog to get all the shampoo out...rinse until the water runs clear...if shampoo is left in by mistake (which can happen very easily) the dog will get a flakey skin...it can also lead to skin problems..even if you use the best quality dog shampoo in the world...

Yes K, we do have radiators and a humidifier, but it's not like the one's that u discribed. It's for my mom's piano, suppose to keep it in tune longer or something like that. Do u think that would be good enough? I will talk to my parents about the one's that u were talking about, where can they be bought?

Cassie- I'll try some of those ideas thanks! :) And I make sure not to over wash her, (It's such a hassle anyways I only do it if absolutly nessisary) and get the soap out of her hair, so I don't think it's that that's causing it.

Thanks for the tips everyone. :calus:

yep our lot get olive oil and in the surgery I would advise owners the same. Just a teaspoon in the dogs food is all you need and vitamin E is also very good for the skin and also muscle.

Additionally don't bath her as you will strip all the natural oils from her coat, but instead put a handful of salt in a bucket of luke-warm water and use a sponge to go over her coat.

[quote]Additionally don't bath her as you will strip all the natural oils from her coat, but instead put a handful of salt in a bucket of luke-warm water and use a sponge to go over her coat.[/quote]

Oh ok! Good thing I read this before this weekend when I was planning on bathing her. Thanks again everyone, I'll ask my mom to buy some olive oil next time she goes to the store. :)