Dogomania

Grapes are bad for dogs?

schippsmom

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/grapes.pdf?docID=189[/url]

this is from the [url=http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc]ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center[/url]

hope it helps.

Grapes, Rasins, Prunes: kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or rasins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure

Here is a listing of other stuff
[url]http://groups.msn.com/RealityBites-DogTrainingForum/yourwebpage.msnw[/url]

A year ago, I lost my Australian Shepherd after eating grapes. My father had grape vines growing on his garage. He parked his truck there and we thought that it leaked anti-freeze onto the grapes that my dog ate. I guess it was just the grapes.

I had my dog staying there while I was moving into my new house. There were tons of birds eating the grapes and they had knocked a whole bunch of them down onto the drive way. My dog must have eaten a ton of them. I had no idea that the grapes could have done this.

When I came to get him he was throwing up tons of grapes. He was very sick and he just wanted to lay down. I took him to the vet the next day and they said his kidneys were failing. He had to be PTS.

We always thought that anti-freeze from my dad's truck leaked onto the grapes that my dog ate.

Thanks for posting this. It's really cleared a lot of things up. I was aware that a lot of plants/vegetatbles/nuts were bad for dogs but I had no idea that grapes could kill a dog. I'm surprised that the vet didn't know about this. Oh well. I sure miss my dog.

Slim

:-?

Wow, didn't know that about grapes, I have never really let the babies have any because I just didn't know if they were o.k. or not, guess I made the right choice.

I wonder if using grapes/raisins to train a dog and show one in the ring has been a contributing factor to the increase of show dogs with kidney disease.

:angel:

i don't think that apples and broccoli are "bad" for dogs. there are a lot of half truths floating around on the internet and things tend to be hyped beyond reason a lot, so to me personally it sounds like unfounded rumors.

i know leaves, seeds and roots of the apple tree can be toxic, but not the fruit. it's easily understandable how it could get hyped up as "apples being toxic" though. (highly reputable dog food manufacturers like OMH [wellness], natura [innova], timberwolf organics and others use apples in their products - i doubt this would be the case if there were any safety concerns.

broccoli does contain isothiocyanate (aka mustard oil), which it is reported to be a general gastrointestinal irritant, but how well it is tolerated depends on the individual animal and the amounts you feed. the only reference i have ever heard to it actually being [b]toxic[/b] was in [i]cattle[/i], and even that only when fed a diet consisting of 25% and more broccoli for a [i]prolonged[/i] time.

I never feed Rowie anything unless I'm 100% sure its safe. Actually, I only feed her treats especially made for dogs, I can never be too sure. The only thing I give her that isn't made especially for dogs are small bits of salami.

My friend has a Lab who is approx. 3 years old, and she told me she gave him grapes as treats. I didn't know it was bad for dogs then so I didn't say anything. She used it to train her dog, and she said he loved them. I don't know wether she's been feeding him since he was a puppy or just recently, or wether she gives it to him in large quantities or small quantities. All I know is that he's fine, so she might just be giving him some. I guess I should warn her? :-?

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']Actually, I only feed her treats especially made for dogs, I can never be too sure.[/quote]

and you know those "treats especially made for dogs" are any better? :) of course it depends on the type you buy, but the most common ones people can pick up at any grocery store, like "beggin strips", "snausages" or "milk bones" are full of garbage, chemicals and sweeteners - especially the "moist, chewy" kinds.

look at the ingredient lists of some of them.

Canine Carry Outs Grilled Chick'n Strips Chewy Snacks for Dogs
Wheat flour, water, chicken, [b]soybean meal[/b], [b]propylene glycol[/b], pregelatinized wheat flour, [b]animal fat (BHA used as a preservative)[/b], egg product, natural smoke flavor, salt, [b]titanium dioxide[/b], phosphoric acid, [b]potassium sorbate (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative)[/b]

Beggin' Strips Cheese & Bacon Flavor
Ground wheat, [b]corn gluten meal[/b], wheat flour, ground yellow corn, [b]sugar[/b], water, glycerin, dried cheese powder, [b]meat[/b] (what kind of "meat"?????), [b]soybean meal[/b], [/b]hydrogenated starch hydrolysate[/b], bacon fat preserved with [b]BHA[/b], salt, sorbic acid (a preservative), [b]artificial flavor[/b], calcium propionate (a preservative), [b]glyceryl monostearate[/b], phosphoric acid, choline chloride, [b]added color (red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2)[/b]

Snausages in A Blanket Chewy Snacks for Dogs
Soy flour, [b]corn syrup[/b], beef, wheat flour, pregelatinized wheat flour, water sufficient for processing, bacon, cheddar cheese, [b]propylene glycol[/b], [b]liver[/b] (what kind of "liver"?????), chicken by-product meal, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt, [b]animal fat (BHA and citric acid used as preservatives)[/b], phosphoric acid, [b]soybean oil (BHA used as a preservative)[/b], [b]titanium dioxide[/b], garlic powder, sorbic acid (preservative), onion powder, natural flavor, potassium sorbate (preservative), [b]caramel color, yellow 6, yellow 5, red 40, BHA (preservative)[/b], citric acid (preservative)

Milk-Bone Original Dog Treats
Wheat flour, beef meal and [b]beef bone meal[/b] (contains a lot of lead), corn flour, [b]sugar[/b], [b]dried digest of poultry by-products, cooked bone marrow preserved with BHA, BHT and citric acid[/b], beef fat preserved with tocopherols, salt, brewers dried yeast, [b]artificial color (includes red 40)[/b], iron oxide (can't be absorbed by dogs btw.), sodium metabisulfite (dough conditioner), natural flavor

rather than giving my dog stuff like that, i give baby carrots, apple slices, bits of leftover steak or chicken, cheese, low-salt crackers made for humans, unsalted/unsweetened popcorn and so on. one of my dog's favorite things are little cereal loops, like cheerios but made without sugar and from organic grains.

whenever i actually [i]buy[/i] dog treats (hey, can't go shopping at the pet store without buying dog treats now, can you? ;)), i stick with "pure" products, like 100% freeze dried beef or chicken liver, lamb lung or quality biscuits like innova health bars.

dogs can tolerate a lot of stuff..most dogfood has feed and gluten and meal in it...in the wild they eat tubers if necessary...the proble with fruit and seeds is the acid content. Int he wild they dont normally eat fruit unless they are starving, so their systems are not accustomed to acid.

we have a people disease called Irritable Bowel Syndrome, where the acid in fruit is not tolerated.

:Dog_run:

Hmmmmm So I guess giving Re-Run 2-3 grapes per week will not harm him. That is one of his favorite treats, well aside from pupperonies, but pupperonies are only for special occasions. After all, I can't live without chocolate and Fritos so I guess I won't ask him to go without junk food. Hey, we all gotta have a few pleasures in life.

Paula & Re-Run