Dogomania

Zebra being agressive

StarFox

Well we have been having some agressive behaviour problems with Zebra the last few days. Sunday he was in his crate and my brother was talking to him and went to pet his nose threw the cage and he snapped at my brother. My brother imidiatly said "bad! No!" and Zebra just lowered his head and that was that. Now my brother has pet him many times this past week and a half threw the cage so I thought zebra was just rather grumpy.

Yesturday my mom let him out of his crate and let him lie in front of the stairs in my room (his cage is in my room). Well my mom was sitting on the stairs petting hiim and he snapped at her hand. My mom said "No" and kept petting him.

Today zebra groweled at me when I went to put his cone back on.
And just right now my mom took him out again and he started to growel at her but his tail was wagging. Then he just kept stairing her down and groweled. I keep telling my mom not to pet him when he is nasty like that but she INSISTS and pets his head! I always tell her that one day he is going to growl and just bite her, his growling is a warning and I don't think she understands that.

He has not been the same happy dog ever since we put him in that awful crate. Could that be why he is acting all agressive with us? I don't think he is in allot of pain because I give him his pain meds every day. His tail is never up anymore, not even when I let him out to go the bathroom. He constantly gives me this funny look that says "I will bite you"...he use to have this look when he was a pup but I thought we got over all his agressive behaviour! This is so frusterating!

By the way sorry about all the spelling mistakes, It's 2:30am here.

Starfox, I think the operation Zebra went through is probably the cause--not necessairly because of the pain (as you say, he's taking pain meds), but because of the stress. For a young, active dog, it must be hell to be crated all the time... I know when Hippo was spayed she was pretty psychotic--and that's just from not excersing a few days. Also pain medication can have side effects and mess up your head to a certain extent (that's why I hate to take drugs--they have weird side effects).
That's my little explanation. Good luck with him, Starfox....

Star, he sounds bored! If he isn't licking at his wound then scrap the elizabethan collar. Most dogs are very good and don't bother too much with their wounds. The collar just adds to frustration as you can imagine from what we have seen in work. Jolly Zebra along and make sure he is stimulated loads with stuffed kongs, roasted dog bones etc. Also I know you have been told to crate him, but let him lie quietly with you in your room or in the living room while watching tv.

Keep his spirits up :wink:

Star, I would have the vet check him over. There may be some underlying cause of the sudden aggression. It may be nothing, he may just be cranky from the collar, the cage and little exercise, but better safe then sorry.
There may be some pain he cant tell you about...

And definitely tell your mom to stop petting him when he growls, that's
only reinforcing his bad behavior. A stern NO!!! and then turn around and
ignore him completely, so he doesnt feel gratified with his growl.
Tell her to stop doing whatever it was and just leave him on his own.

good luck!!

:)

I'm a little torn between telling your Mum to stop patting him or to continue doing so. Courtnek is right - normally patting a dog after it exhibits bad behaviour gives the message that you are rewarding the bad behaviour.

However in this case since he is growling because she is patting him then by stopping she is telling him that growling gets him what he wants.

As an example - Indy doesn't really like having his rear end brushed so he sometimes has a bit of a grumbly growl however I tell him NO and keep on brushing - if I stop it lets him know by growling he can dictate what I do. He can't!! I decide when I brush him and not him.

I know it's hard because poor Zebra is probably quite uncomfortable after his surgery and bored from being confined, however try not to let him get into too many bad habits because you feel sorry for him now. He will remember them once he is 100% and still expect things to work that way.

Thanks for the info. I let him out about 3 times a day and sit with him and take his cone collar thingy off. He seems allot happier when the cone is off. This saturday we get the stiches removed and so he won't have to whear the cone again.

It was weird today becuase i was petting him and he was growling so I stopped and then he kept pawing at me (that is his way of saying "PET ME!"). So I was petting him and he kept growling. So I think he is just a very werid dog. :roll:

I think you all are right though. I think he is uncomfortable, he has never been in a crate then all of a sudden he has to be in one 24/7. I think he is lonely because he use to spend all his time with the family and now he dosn't have that. :( Poor baby I can't wait till he can have run of the house again. Not to mention that food is collecting on the floor under the kitchen table and there is no vacume to clean it up anymore. :lol: