Dogomania

Dangerous Dog Warning From Animal Control!!!

Sharpeigirl

Of all the things to happen now. Got a Dangerous Dog warning for the 2nd time from local animal control. If I get another warning, Sassy could be put down & we'd have to pay a fine :x They want me to muzzle her at home, even though we have a Beware of Dog sign posted in the front door, and on the fence. This is the biggest crock of crap I've ever heard of :evil: Believe me, Becky & I are fighting AC on this one. She barked at the UPS Man for petes sake. He was in her yard & on her porch, knocking on her door. She was behind the door. They claim we have & I quote: a dangerous pit/pit mix on the property, that could cause serious injury to anyone entering premisis. :evil: :evil: :evil: 1st thing, she's not a pit or pit mix, she's a SHAR-PEI. #2, she's never outside unattended, and always on leash after her escape & HBC acident. And #3 she can't hurt anyone outside if she inside our house. And no one comes into our yard unless they have a reason to be there. I'm mad as heck. :evil: :evil: :evil:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

See if you can get your vet to write a letter stating that she is NOT a pit/pit mix, and verifying that she is of sound temperament. Have him/her date and sign it, and add any extra creds they happen to have. It also wouldn't hurt to take her to a behaviorist and have them evaluate her, writing any comments they have. Or see if you can find a CGC /TT test nearby (both are temperament tests) and have her take that.

Also see if you can find a Sharpei breed club nearby, and contact them about the incident. I would imagine they would be outraged, and could probably help to draw some attention to your troubles.

I also agree with image, there's nothing better to dispell a lie than to let people SEE the truth. She's friendly with people, right? If so, then raising a stink with the local news station would probably help your cause. What state/city are you in?

:evil: :evil: Well that would make me so mad.You must have very different laws where you are.Surely they cant do that if the dogs are in there own yard.I mean we all know we have to keep our dogs up but that sounds awful,to think they might have to have a musle on in there our yard home.Well I would'nt let them get away with that if its possible.I dont blame you for being so angry I would be,and they dont know one breed from another by the sound of it.Anyway I hope you get it sorted soon.GOOD LUCK

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gooey']See if you can get your vet to write a letter stating that she is NOT a pit/pit mix, and verifying that she is of sound temperament. Have him/her date and sign it, and add any extra creds they happen to have. It also wouldn't hurt to take her to a behaviorist and have them evaluate her, writing any comments they have. Or see if you can find a CGC /TT test nearby (both are temperament tests) and have her take that.

Also see if you can find a Sharpei breed club nearby, and contact them about the incident. I would imagine they would be outraged, and could probably help to draw some attention to your troubles.

I also agree with image, there's nothing better to dispell a lie than to let people SEE the truth. She's friendly with people, right? If so, then raising a stink with the local news station would probably help your cause. What state/city are you in?[/quote]

Thing is Sassy isn't gifted with a sound temperment, she has aggression issuses, and this just makes things worse for us, we're trying to get her less aggerssive with strangers, but it's a long road. And she has gone after a UPS man & a postal worker in the past. I feel like I'm fighting a loseing battle with her sometimes. She needs alot of work, and I'm willing to give her all I've got to get her where she needs to be.

She does go to a behaviorist, and we're working on her aggersion towards strangers & other dogs. Those are her only major issuses, and they are the worst 2 to have. And she was a shelter rescue, so she might not be full Pei, she might have pit in her, we really don't know, but I was told Pei & possiably lab, or even full pei. She's a mystery, she came in as a lone pup with no mom or siblings. :(

Do you have her papers? if so, you can prove she is not a pit mix...also the suggestion from the vet is good. He can tell them she's not a pit.
Since she was in the house, and not wear she could attack the mailman,
they have no case. The mailman may have lied and said she was outside.
There is no law against a dog barking at someone at the door.

I would definitely throw this back in their face with the proof that she is not
a Pit mix.

Also, she is under more stress since the accident, so take the vet report about that with you as well.

We're going to start makeing copies tomorrow & send a few choice words out to the KCAC & UPS. Might send my story to the paper in the editorial section. All this anti dog crap KC is in right now, is so stupid. They think any dong that's not a froo-froo dog or a lab, or shephard or mix, it's a Pit, put it to sleep. I was told by Pei rescue, they've been getting alot of people claiming Pei's are another pit bull breed. Not true they're actually a mastiff type dog from china, possabily a relative of the chow. :wink:

Belive me, we're going to cause a stir, and win :)

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I wrote this several hours ago offline, so if anything in here has been contradicted or whathaveyou, I apologize:

That is disturbing. Sasha barks at the mailman/UPS man, boy scouts, religious people and what-have-you all the time. She has to be pulled back by one person while another person deals with the person at the door. Often times, she ends up rearing up on her hind legs because she doesn

Guest Anonymous

Why are you all saying over and over, she is NOT a PIT BULL, go show them she is not a PIT BULL? If she was a pit bull would you have something different to say?

Guest Anonymous

That is a good point, guest.

I guess this is yet another argument against BSL. Obviously, people can't tell a pit bull from a hole in the wall :roll:

Guest Anonymous

I know she/he is not a pit bull. What I meant is why is that so important? If she was would it make it any worse or better? I thought you were all pit bull supporters. But people are getting so upset over her being called a pit bull, when it is not that bad of thing. Some one simply made a mistake. If she was a pit bull, would it be ok for the dangerous dog label?

Guest Anonymous

That is NOT what anyone is saying!!!

We're saying that if this guy couldn't even see Sassy well enough to see that she wasn't a pit bull, then his assertation that she is a dangerous dog is not reliable.

Sassy does not look like a pit bull. If the guy assumed she was a pit bull, he probably also assumed that she was dangerous.

IF this was a case with a pit bull, there would still be a huge outcry, but it would have been about stereotyping pit bulls. But since it's not a pit bull case, it's about other things.

Sharpeigirl could rant on about pitbull stereotyping in her letters/calls/visits, whatever, but that would kind of distract from her purpose, which is saving her dog. Pit bull stereotyping is a BAD THING and should be fought, but now is not the time in this case.

Guest Anonymous

Also, it's not just about the UPS carrier assuming that the barking dog is a pitbull and making a Dangerous Dog report to Animal Control.

It's also about Animal Control just taking this guy's word for it that a dangerous pit bull tried to attack him. They didn't go check it out, they just sent a letter saying "your pitbull/pitbull mix is dangerous." Whatever happened to Innocent-til-Proven-Guilty? No one checked it out.

At this rate, a neighbor or someone else with an issue against Sassy or either of her owners could have filed a false claim against Sassy, and from the looks of it, Animal Control would have filed it as legit without any proof. IF they would have been interested in [b]proof[/b], then they would have taken the time to find out that Sassy is a Shar-Pei. Plain and simple.

This has nothing to do with pit bulls themselves.

Amber

Guest Anonymous

GEESH! Sharpeigirl I am sorry about all this! You have been through enough already, without all this head ache. I do not have much more to offer in the way of advice, as everyone has already given you great help. I just wanted to say that I hope it all works out and that I am thinking about you and Sassy.

I hope she is feeling better, and adjusting well to being on three legs. I use to own and love a three legged Rottie and there is certainly something special about them! :wink:

PS I am not sure how anyone could think Sassy is a Pit Bull! lol!

Guest Anonymous

does nobody remember that this dog brutally killed another dog a month ago?? or got loose and was hit by a car because she wouldn't come to anyone?....or that she was NOT at all cooperative at the vets? has behaviour issues? come on people....it's obvious that someone who is aware of ALL of this dogs problems called the authorities in order to prevent further damage, sorry shar but you can't control this animal, and someone needs to!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Why are you all saying over and over, she is NOT a PIT BULL, go show them she is not a PIT BULL? If she was a pit bull would you have something different to say?[/quote]
I believe there may be BSL in KC. If not, I do know that it is VERY "pit bull" unfriendly, as there have been several attempts made at banning them from the area. The fact here is that their incorrectly labeling a NON-pit bull as a pit bull could lead to the death of a dog who's owners choose NOT to own a breed that wasn't banned/restricted. In other words, if she were a PB in an area where PBs are not allowed, or are restricted, then it would be sharpeigirl's fault for knowingly bringing a PB into an area where she knew PBs were not supposed to be. She did not DO that though, because her dog is not a PB and as such, she shouldn't be treated as though she is breaking the law by choosing to own a dog who SOME people "think" looks like a pit bull, when it is in fact, not. That would be like AC coming to your house, hauling off your dogs because they [i]thought[/i] they looked like PBs, and they happened to bark at them through the door. I know I would be peeved if I had non-pit bulls in an area where pit bulls were restricted, and my dogs were persecuted just because someone THOUGHT they were pit bulls.

[quote]does nobody remember that this dog brutally killed another dog a month ago?? or got loose and was hit by a car because she wouldn't come to anyone?....or that she was NOT at all cooperative at the vets? has behaviour issues?[/quote]
In case you weren't aware, it's not uncommon for Shar-peis to be dog aggressive, so it's hard to draw conclusions on that, the dog may very well have been acting within the breed's normal temperament. It's also not uncommon for dogs of any breed to not come back to their owner after they manage to get loose. If I'm outside when the neighbors let their GSD mix out, it won't come back to them unless I walk back over, and even then it usually hops all around, trying to elude capture. If I'm not outside, it either roams around the neighborhood, or hangs outside by our deck. Many dogs have not been trained to the point that when they realize they are "free", they don't take advantage of it. Furthermore, I find your comment about the dog being uncooperative at the vets to be a bit strange... how many dogs do you know that enjoy having their leg cut off, then having people harass and manipulate them while they are still adapting (both physically and MENTALLY) to the change, and would be the radiant light during the whole experience? It's possible that the call really DID stem from valid concerns, but given what sharpeigirl has posted, it sounds more like a lot of anti-breed/dog hype.

Sharpei, you might also want to contact a local APBT club or rescue (or anti-BSL group) if you can find one, as they would probably be interested in knowing about the fact that they misidentified the dog, as someone else mentioned, it really does put another black mark down for BSL. They might be interested for a different reason than you, but the more people you have on your side, the better off you are.

Guest Anonymous

I have had a similar incident with a neighbor who has some REALLY serious mental disorders :evil: trying to say my puppies (all of 4 months at the time) and to today are viscious. I had to obtain an attorney regarding the matter and it has cost me a good chuck of money. She has called animal control several times trying to have them take my 2 puppies away. I have 3 dogs, 2 catahoula's and a husky. Most recently, when the animal control officer came to my house with the police after my dogs jumped our 6 foot fence and ran around MY own front yard before coming into the house, he stated that I could be held liable for posting a sign on my property saying "beware of dog" or "premises patrolled by Catahoula Security Company". What is that about??? He made me explain to him why I had the signs up and said I had better take them all down otherwise I was "just advertising the fact I had viscious dogs". My dogs are NOT in anyway viscious. Yes they bark at other dogs and at unknown people who come to my front door but am I not allowed to protect myself as an american citizen? I don't own guns for a good reason as I have kids. I own dogs that are great with kids but would gladly die protecting their family if necessary.

I am worried about my dogs given anyone can call animal control and say your dog is viscious. I would never want to have anyone take any of my dogs away from me and god forbid put them to sleep. Go to [url]http://www.athenspets.net[/url]
and read the stoires at the bottom of this website and under links. This is where I found this site.
Get out and take your dog for a walk today :-) Thats the way I made sure my crazy neighbor's husband (and all the sane neighbor's too) could see none of my dogs were viscious. I also have my kids play with the dogs in the front yard!

Hope all works out for you. Don't let stupid people get in your way of enjoying your pets!

What a bunch of BS! Like you don't have enough to deal with then this...sheesh! But I don't understand why would the UPS guy call the animal control just because she was barking? I'm sure he gets barked at by allot of dogs, I wonder why he singled out your dog? What an arse.

I'm glad your taking her down to AC to show them that they have no idea what they are talking about. I think it realy stinks that they accuse you of something and don't even take the time out to make sure if there information is correct. Good luck, I hope things get worked out for you.

Hmm and as for "Concerned pet owner"---------
"it's obvious that someone who is aware of ALL of this dogs problems called the authorities in order to prevent further damage, "........ Umm I don't think a UPS man is someone who is well "aware" of sassy's "problems". And I think Sharepeigirl is doing the best she can in the given situation.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='StarFox']Hmm and as for "Concerned pet owner"---------
"it's obvious that someone who is aware of ALL of this dogs problems called the authorities in order to prevent further damage, "........ Umm I don't think a UPS man is someone who is well "aware" of sassy's "problems". And I think Sharepeigirl is doing the best she can in the given situation.[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to post, StarFox!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='catahoula dog lover']Most recently, when the animal control officer came to my house with the police after my dogs jumped our 6 foot fence and ran around MY own front yard before coming into the house, he stated that I could be held liable for posting a sign on my property saying "beware of dog" or "premises patrolled by Catahoula Security Company". What is that about??? He made me explain to him why I had the signs up and said I had better take them all down otherwise I was "just advertising the fact I had viscious dogs". My dogs are NOT in anyway viscious.[/quote]

Actually he maybe right with the "beware of dog" sign. It does lead one to believe, that you are aware you have a dog that people need to be worried or need to avoid. If your dog did ever bite someone (not that I think that they would) but if it did happen, in court you could be held liable. Just for posting that sign, because it sounds like you knew before it happend and did not properly prevent it or keep your "dangerous" dog correctly. Crazy I know, but I have seen it happen.

The sign you have "Premises Patrolled by Catahoula Security Company", I think is a little different.

I have a sign that simple says "Pit Bulls Lord This Lawn" and "Pit Bulls Own This Home"